The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Puppet routine...But I'm not a ventriloquist!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
What is a ventriloquist? Someone who can talk without moving their lips?
My first dummy was a Jerry mahoney knockoff in the 40s, remember the one whose eyes always looked one way? I practiced and could say the B's and M's without moving my lips.
But I noticed something. Even when I saw Edgar Bergan, up close, he moved his lips, a lot. So did Jay Marshall and Lefty. Some vents don't even bother not trying to move their lips. They rely on the spectators eyes watching the dummy. And the aforementioned did it so well, you don't bother watching the orginators lips. I think the whole secret is making your partner so interesting in the things he or she says, and their movements, people will not notice your mouth moving. Interesting characters make the ventriloquist. Look at Senor Wences, a fist and and a head in a box.
Unless your like me checking them out, like Terry Fator, who voices all of those famous personalities. I look to see if he moves his lips - not very much - but we all can't be Terry Fathor's.
But you can be yourself, and you can pretend to be a ventriloquist, even if your not. So, yes, you can be a ventriloquist and not just do a silent act.
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Thanks Robert Blake! I am especially pleased that I can be an inspiration to other performers who would like to use puppets. There is so much that can be done by using puppets with skill and creativity. We've just scratched the surface!
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I find the kids go crazy for my Rocky rackoon
,also Magic Makers has a really good looking feamale fox,I think I wiil get her as well.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Oop's female
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
Steve Petra has really inspired my magic shows. The way his characters interact and his puppet gumbo is brilliant. Thank you Steve for the inspiration! I look forward to more DVDs from you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Puppet routine...But I'm not a ventriloquist!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL