The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown in the U.S. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicguyri
View Profile
New user
RI
68 Posts

Profile of magicguyri
Does anyone know if Derren Brown ever entertains in the U.S. Are any of his videos compatible with U.S. DVD players? He seems to be quite the remarkable phenomenon in the UK. I would love to learn more about him.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Try watching him on Youtube, Channel 4 hosts all of his programs there. Smile
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Hi, Lon --

His DVDs are region 2, which means they aren't playable on most U.S. machines, but may work on your laptop (which is how I watch them). Youtube is also a good source.

I was surprised when I saw clips from "Messiah" that he (supposedly) filmed a segment in East Greenwich!

With all good thoughts,

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
It is possible to purchase 'region-free' DVD players from online stores like amazon.com and buy.com. They will play virtually all discs (including region 2) on most newer televisions.

Tom
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Short answer: No, so far DB hasn't publicly performed in the U.S. to my knowledge. (He did film some episodes of several of his shows here.)

There are rumors that he may do a Broadway version of one or more of his UK live shows but so far, they're just rumors.

Most everything he's done is available on youtube though. If you haven't seen much of his work, you're in for a real treat.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
As far as regional DVD viewing goes, you may be able to easily alter the configuration of your existing DVD player to allow it to become 'region-free.'
Do a Google search and you may be surprised to find your existing player can be easily be tweaked.
I own and play all of Derren's Region 2 DVDs, on my (Region 1) Toshiba DVD player.

BTW, just finished watching Enigma, which arrived today from Amazon.co.uk....absolutely brilliant - it contains some of his finest work to date!

e
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
If you've not seen Derren in action then I'm sure you'll really enjoy him, one of the best showmen around. I saw Enigma at the theatre and it was a stunning show, the finale was cracking. Smile
Bill Brunelle
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Bill Brunelle
You can watch full episodes on Amazon for $1.99 each or $8.00 for six episodes. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Shopping-Mall/dp/B......0&sr=8-9
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Can I ask what DVD extras are on the disk for Enigma? Smile
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2011-02-04 01:31, Eshla wrote:
Can I ask what DVD extras are on the disk for Enigma? Smile

Unfortunately, none. That was my only disappointment.
Evening of Wonders included just about all the material (including the video opening) that didn't make the edited broadcast. Enigma only includes the broadcast portion.

e
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
To my knowledge, his only US appearance to the public has been only on TV on the SciFi channel. He created a U.S. version of his series Mind Control, and you can buy the entire season on the American iTunes store! My fingers are crossed for a live show here in the states!
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Just discovered something interesting regarding regional DVD coding and hardware.
My $40 Sylvania portable DVD player will play the Region 2 Derren Brown DVD, without any modification.

Thought that might be of value to anyone in Region 1 (North America).
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
There is now talk of a Broadway show in late Fall. I think I read this on one of the Yahoo news feeds. I didn't bother to check the tour dates on his web site, to see if there was an opening then, but that would be cool...
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Exciting rumor but no dates listed:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article......ml?cat=2
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
...He should be in my mailbox right now (I hope it's not too uncomfortable). I too have a region-free player. The box sets are quite a deal (and at least he or someone related to him can get remunerated for the work). I am looking forward to giving the Live DVDs and the Specials a watch. Best wishes to DB in the US.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown in the U.S. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL