The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best topics for BOR books and other questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
I write for a living so I've decided to write some BOR (for sale at the back of the room, for you newbies) books. Some will be exclusively for my own use and I may write some for resale.

If I write some for resale, I might offer some of them with exclusive territorial rights so another guy working your town won't be selling the same books you are. Since successful mentalists work all over, the territories might have to be big, like North America, the UK, Australia and so on. I have no idea if the market exists because offering rights in such huge territories would require a price that many performers might deem not worth the exclusivity. I guess I'll find out if and when I do offer such a plan.

On the other hand, if you make your living as a reader at psychic/new age events and Psi parties, I'm guessing exclusivity of a 25 to 100 mile radius from your base of operations might be more than enough. That would permit a much more affordable price.

I'm hoping those who sell BOR merchandise can help me understand the topic better.

What have you found are the most popular topics for a stage show audience?

If you do Psi parties (tarot, rune, palmistry readings) what have you found are the most popular topics?

I'm guessing relationships, increasing your intuition, and various other self-help topics would sell well but it's only a guess, which is one of the reasons for this post.

Do you generally markdown books as "show specials" or "party specials"? For example, giving a book an $11.95 list price and offering a special price of $9.95 or giving a quantity discount?

Do you have an opinion on what size works best, both in terms of dimensions and number of pages?

In your experience have you found a price point that seems to be the "sweet spot" in maximizing sales?

Do you ever sell books by other authors (other than BOR ghostwriters) that you've managed to get at a wholesale price?

What other merchandise sells well A) at public shows and/or B) Psi parties? (I'm thinking tarot decks, runes, crystals, T-shirts and the like.)

Note that I have specifically left out private parties (other than Psi parties) and corporate work. I'm guessing that many performers and clients would not be comfortable with that--although I know motivational speakers often sell tons of their own books and courses at their speaking engagements.

I seem to remember a thread about offering BOR materials at private parties and I think the consensus was that if you want to try it, by all means ask the host if it's OK first.

What kind of gross margin do you generally achieve? [Actual selling price - (production + shipping costs} = Gross margin]

I realize these are a lot of questions for one post and that some may consider their answers proprietary information. But even if I gets answers to only one or two of these questions I'll be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Rocky

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 9:52pm
--------------------------------
Holy Moly! Not one response so far!?!? is BOR merchandise pass� or is the kind of information I'm seeking a closely held secret?

C'mon guys. Doesn't somebody have something to say??

Hopefully,

Rocky
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
What sort of percentage of your profits are you offering?

I'm all for helping a brother out, but for anyone who makes a significant proportion of their income from BOR sales, this sort of info is going to be quite sensitive.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Davit,

I don't understand your question. The purpose of my post was to lean a little about the market for BOR merchandise. I mentioned possibly selling some to fellow mentalists as a possibility.

If you could clarify your question I'd be happy to answer it.

Regards,

Rocky
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Rocky

Why not ask us what we perform, our rates, and who are clients are?

I understand what you are asking for, but as you said, some may feel it is proprietary, this may be an understatement. You are essentially asking a business plan (or a section of ours). Personally, I would discuss some areas or elements with friends in the business, but would never post this on a public Internet site.

Here is the one question you asked that I feel I can answer here:
Quote:
Do you ever sell books by other authors (other than BOR ghostwriters) that you've managed to get at a wholesale price?

Yes, I have sold books by other authors, and have given them away. Only books that I feel good about. Sometimes I can get them in bulk, sometimes I find them as remainders at book stores, sometimes I pay cover price, and sometimes I just suggest the titles.

But for the other part of your question, "BOR Ghostwriters", I don't touch them, not with a 10 foot pole! (There are at this point 2 exceptions, but I would never put my name on them.) Anything with my name was written by me, I know every word in them, and can discuss every aspect of what they contain.

Please don’t take what I have written negatively. This, like “What do you charge?” is not something I am willing to answer, not on a forum, and not to someone I don’t know well and personally.

Tony
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
What sort of percentage of your profits are you offering?

I'm afraid I'm not able to explain this in simpler terms. I can't work magic.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Tony,

I'm not asking for anybody's business plan or even a portion of it. I was just asking if anyone wanted to share some advice on one particular area of the business. That's all. I asked a lot of questions but as I stated I'd be most grateful if I got one or two answers. Take a chill pill man.

Rocky.

PM me for info.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Hmm, you don't seem so grateful for the questions that I did answer.
Guess, I'll just take that chill pill.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Ooooh, touchy touchy.... Things really ARE tight right now.

Yikes!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Not touchy, heck I gave him my answers to some of his questions:
Quote:
Here is the one question you asked that I feel I can answer here:
Quote:

Yes, I have sold books by other authors, and have given them away. Only books that I feel good about. Sometimes I can get them in bulk, sometimes I find them as remainders at book stores, sometimes I pay cover price, and sometimes I just suggest the titles.

But for the other part of your question, "BOR Ghostwriters", I don't touch them, not with a 10 foot pole! (There are at this point 2 exceptions, but I would never put my name on them.) Anything with my name was written by me, I know every word in them, and can discuss every aspect of what they contain.

I guess 'grateful' is a subjective term. Smile

Tony
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-02-03 18:36, Rocketeer wrote:
I write for a living so I've decided to write some BOR (for sale at the back of the room, for you newbies) books. Some will be exclusively for my own use and I may write some for resale.

If I write some for resale, I might offer some of them with exclusive territorial rights so another guy working your town won't be selling the same books you are. Since successful mentalists work all over, the territories might have to be big, like North America, the UK, Australia and so on. I have no idea if the market exists because offering rights in such huge territories would require a price that many performers might deem not worth the exclusivity. I guess I'll find out if and when I do offer such a plan.

On the other hand, if you make your living as a reader at psychic/new age events and Psi parties, I'm guessing exclusivity of a 25 to 100 mile radius from your base of operations might be more than enough. That would permit a much more affordable price.

I'm hoping those who sell BOR merchandise can help me understand the topic better.

What have you found are the most popular topics for a stage show audience?

If you do Psi parties (tarot, rune, palmistry readings) what have you found are the most popular topics?

I'm guessing relationships, increasing your intuition, and various other self-help topics would sell well but it's only a guess, which is one of the reasons for this post.

Do you generally markdown books as "show specials" or "party specials"? For example, giving a book an $11.95 list price and offering a special price of $9.95 or giving a quantity discount?

Do you have an opinion on what size works best, both in terms of dimensions and number of pages?

In your experience have you found a price point that seems to be the "sweet spot" in maximizing sales?

What other merchandise sells well A) at public shows and/or B) Psi parties? (I'm thinking tarot decks, runes, crystals, T-shirts and the like.)

Note that I have specifically left out private parties (other than Psi parties) and corporate work. I'm guessing that many performers and clients would not be comfortable with that--although I know motivational speakers often sell tons of their own books and courses at their speaking engagements.

I seem to remember a thread about offering BOR materials at private parties and I think the consensus was that if you want to try it, by all means ask the host if it's OK first.

What kind of gross margin do you generally achieve? [Actual selling price - (production + shipping costs} = Gross margin]

I realize these are a lot of questions for one post and that some may consider their answers proprietary information. But even if I gets answers to only one or two of these questions I'll be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Rocky

If I were to offer any sort of BoR sales, it would, in my case, be confined to numerology, a subject, which, as far as I am aware, hasn't been touched yet.

Your questions about sales, mark ups etc., may be anserable if you were to do a bit of comparison shopping, e.g., buying what's already on the market and then doing your own evaluation.

Carlyle, I believe, has some BoR books on the market. These are available as a one time purchase and the re-print rights are included.

As far as "exclusivity" is concerned I just don't think it's going to work out, unless your material is that good.

Personally I see this "exclusivity" as a rather nice way of jacking up the inital purchase price, nothing wrong with that, this is after all a business. However, unless you've got a solid reputation for writing A-1 saleable material, I'd tend to steer clear of it. No biggie as there'd probably be someone else in the L.A./Orange County area who would get that lock in.

I'd also suggest that the BOR is icing on the cake, and is not the main course meal.

Just my two cents worth.

If you ever come up with a good booklet on numerlogy, let me know. As far as I know, it's not been done before.

Hmmm....this gets me thinking now..
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
For what it's worth, I offer one of these types of books on my own website (palmistry) which you can get made with your own details

Reuben - R Webster does a good one for numerology
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Reuben. I'm aware of Webster's book on numerology but I don't believe it's available in ghost-written BOR form. Richard could certainly go into the business if he cared to. He's an excellent and very prolific writer.

I'll certainly let you know if I decide to tackle numerology. I'm sure you'd be pleased with the product. Rick Rothbart and Chester Sass were both very happy with the work I did for them.

Regards,

Rocky.

PM me for info.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-02-12 23:59, Rocketeer wrote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Reuben. I'm aware of Webster's book on numerology but I don't believe it's available in ghost-written BOR form. Richard could certainly go into the business if he cared to. He's an excellent and very prolific writer.

I'll certainly let you know if I decide to tackle numerology. I'm sure you'd be pleased with the product. Rick Rothbart and Chester Sass were both very happy with the work I did for them.

Regards,

Rocky.

Let me know. Thanks.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Rocketeer - Webster does have a BOR numerology book
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Thanks for info bev. I had only known of Webster's "Your Lucky Stars".

PM me for info.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-02-13 12:57, bevbevvybev wrote:

Any idea of what the URL is? I'd like to check it out.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2011-02-15 22:37, Reuben Dunn wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-13 12:57, bevbevvybev wrote:

Any idea of what the URL is? I'd like to check it out.

Richard Webster's books can be found at http://stuartcumberland.com/richard-websters-books/

*jeep! and God Bless!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best topics for BOR books and other questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL