The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Extremely slow loading/Server Not Found » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Hi,
Very often I find that the Magic Café takes an extremely long time to load/connect. It's on the order of several minutes. And once I do load up the main page, it'll be another several minutes to load up a link that I click on. This is entirely unacceptable. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is often enough (at least once or twice a day) to be a major annoyance.

Also as common is getting a "Server Not Found" error. This could be related to the above, since it generally takes several minutes of attempting to connect before I get that message. It could be that the connection times out. I don't know. Again, this happens frequently (several times per week).

I'm not sure where the source of the problem is, but I'd look into getting a more reliable server/webhost/whatever if I were you.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Yes, we're aware of the problem, of course. We'd love nothing more than to put the Café on a fully dedicated Dell dual-xeon server, but that's not financially possible at this time. Even on a shared hosting account on such a server the Café would eventually get booted by the host anyway - it's simply too continually busy for a shared hosting plan (which is what it uses). All we can do for now is try to get it as trimmed as possible load-wise, which we're working to do as we have time to do it. I'm sorry you're annoyed, but we just don't have the resources we'd like to have, you know?
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Sean Wisdom
View Profile
New user
Belfast, Ireland
40 Posts

Profile of Sean Wisdom
Gene, there is a dedicated server available with these specs:

500GB Data Transfer
100 Mb/s Port Speed
3.06 GHz Intel HT processor
80 GB 7200rpm hard disk

This is for $185 a month. I really don't know how much the shared hosting package costs and how much bandwith the Café actually uses, but I suspect the monthly bill is quite high
Sean Wisdom
Magicbunny.co.uk - Serious Magic - Competitions, Special guests and online discounted store
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
We've looked into those things, but even the cheapest of servers is beyong our capabilities right now. That's the guts of it.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Extremely slow loading/Server Not Found » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL