The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Penguinmagic - Higher shipping rate to international address? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Does anyone pay attention to the higher shipping rate from Penguin for international address?

I used to buy a thing or two and got charged for $8 to $11 per shipment depends on its weight using First-Class Mail International, it means the shipping is not registered or no tracking

Then I was thinking to get something small last week and when I checked at the shopping cart, they now charge $23 for unregistered shipment, meaning it will use First-Class International Mail.

Would it be possible if international customers from Penguin try to submit an appeal? For me, paying $23 for something unregistered and take up to 6 weeks to arrive while we (or at least, I) used to pay $8 to $11, is unfair to customers in outside of the U.S.

The main reason I keep coming back -or at least give good recommendation- to Penguin is because of their low price, great customer service and wide selection of items. But now, with their current outrageous shipping cost, I have to rethink about shopping with them.

I've sent e-mail to Acar himself and hopefully he could come to a solution that would benefit the company and its customers as well. If anyone wants to share or gives their thoughts, you are more than welcomed.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
I work for a small internet/mail order store that fills a completely different niche, and can't speak for Penguin directly. I do, however, handle about 75% of my employer's dealings with clients outside of the United States. Shipping outside of the United States is just a nightmare all the way around.

I'm always amazed at how cheap it is to ship into the United States from other countries and how expensive it is to ship back out to them. I'm not even sure what the US Postal Service's problem is, but they don't make it easy.

The shipping cost you are quoting sounds like a flat rate Priority Mail box.

One other thought: if your order was approaching 3 pounds in weight, or has anything longer than 12 inches in it, then I can see the Post Office quickly adding to the price of shipping. You did say it was light, but most shippers also use a "dimensional weight." In short, they calculate a new weight based on the size of the package, then typically charge for the heavier of the two.

Again, I can't speak for Penguin's shipping policies in any way. I do know that the US Postal Service recently changed all of their rates again, and that they make shipping outside of the United States fairly painful.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
This has been solved. Apparently, there was a mix-up on the pricing from USPS that affected Penguin's shipping quote.

The thing that made me e-mailed them was the unfair and ridiculous quote. One time it even showed $30.80 for First-Class Mail International (takes between 2 to 6 weeks) with no tracking. While at the same time, the website offered FedEx (3 to 6 days) for only $23 that came with full tracking.

So then I knew something was not right. Even in their forum, there are some customers who also felt this was unfair and very odd.

Anyway, it was solved last week and Acar explained what had caused it.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Penguinmagic - Higher shipping rate to international address? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL