The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Disadvantage of memorizing a stay stack? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Boudje
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of Boudje
Hi, sorry for that may be dumb question, but I'm fed up with waiting for the ultimate memorized stack to be published, so I decided to start learning one right now.

I can see the advantage of memorizing a deck in stay stack order, but I cannot see the disadvantage, so before starting to learning a memorized stay stack I prefer take your advice in case I didn't notice something critical.

(Ps: please excuse my english skills too).
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
One disadvantage might be some kind of discernible order but small in my opinion (depending on the stay stack). If you are very good at quick math you really need not use a stay stack as ANY memorized deck can serve many applications for which stay stack is used . The idea is , pairs or cards with stack numbers x+y=53 ARE your pairs that stay in stay stack order...
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hi, Boudje.

If by stay-stack, you mean the deck retains its order both before and after the effect has been performed, there are a number of effects that can be performed under that parameter and set of conditions. Most are interesting, but, IMHO, are unusually not as dynamic nor have as much "WOW!" factor as a memorized deck effect where the memorized deck order is destroyed in the process of performing the effect. For instance, effects such as Simon Aronson's "Histed Heisted", Simon Aronson's "Four Part Harmony", Steve Beam's "Multiple Impact", Doug Dyment's "The Immoderate Deception", etc.

I just recently purchased Juan Tamariz' "Memmonica" and I suspect that there are similar gems of this nature (i.e., deck-stack destroyed) in that book.

Usually, the deck-stack destroying nature of these effects is not fatal in that:

1. Any such effect is usually the closer of the act and the deck stack can be restored in your room after the show is over, or,
2. A simple deck switch gets you back to being "good to go".

Just, IMHO, your mileage may vary...and probably will. (grin)

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Go ahead and memorize a stay stack!....i did...
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2011-02-27 23:03, the mnemonist wrote:
Go ahead and memorize a stay stack!....i did...

I must be misunderstanding what a "stay-stack" deck is. I thought that it was a deck that ended up in stack position both before and after the effect had been performed. Apparently this is not a correct definition. I'd be grateful if someone would straighten up my confusion in this regard.

(Trying to clear up all of my many confusions about everything would be far too big and onerous a task and a job I would not wish on mere mortals.) (grin)

Thanks,

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Hello Mike,
My understanding of a staystack is one where the two halves of the deck mirror each other.

e.g.
if the first card in the deck is the AH then fifty-second card is the AD
if the second card in the deck is the QS then the fifty-first card is the QC
if the twenty-sixth card is the 4D then the twenty-seventh card is the 4H

I hope this helps.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hey, nornb.

Thanks for that info. That's surprising info to me. I always thought that what you were describing is the Gilbreath Principle in action. Go figure.

Thanks again for the info.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Boudje
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of Boudje
I was reffering abot what nornb said.
For example, memorizing a deck after 4 or 5 faros allowed to do memorized deck tricks, stay-stack tricks, and allowed to switch from mem deck to Ndo.

That's why I was thinking about memorizing such a deck, as no "specific-mnemonica" tricks really astonished me. And I'l like to know if such a choice was foolish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Disadvantage of memorizing a stay stack? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL