The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Where are the kid parties NOW! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
I am getting quite a few parties held in other venues, like hotel pool areas and indoor climbing centers. I've also seen more parties where, while the party is held at home, the parents have splurged on other pricey entertainment devices, such as elaborate bouncy houses. I did one party where the parents had a complete exotic animal petting zoo in their yard! Personally, I find it odd that parents would want or need a magician/clown if they already have a pool or climbing equipment to entertain the kiddies. In fact, I find it much harder to maintain the kids' attention with these distractions. I'm not really complaining -- I appreciate the business -- but I think some parents are trying to do too much at their children's parties. My most successful parties are always in the client's homes.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Mostly in homes...maybe 30% spread over restaurants, halls and banquet rooms. But the larger ones are usually only using the birthday party as an excuse to show off the grandness of the event...or for huge extended families.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
bp3535
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of bp3535
Again 50/50 split Halls and homes
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
90% Homes 10% school, church, community rec. center.
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
I'm split 50% homes and 50% a variety of others (e.g. halls, restaurants, fire houses, community room etc.).
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
70% Homes & 30% Other places... Hotels are popular these days here!!!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
I perform at mostly homes and parks but also work regularly at libraries, pizza parlors, bowling allies,restaurants, Rec rooms, schools, clubhouses, party service rooms, museums, company events, day cares, grand openings, country clubs, amusement parks, zoos, swimming pool centers, YMCA, Pee Wee golf, churches and so on. I haven't notice any drastic change in my clientele.

Maybe the only thing for me there are less company events due to the economy. Birthday parties and children shows have always been my bread and butter.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Everyday UK homes tend to be small - too small generally for whole class parties.

State school class sizes are rising. A few years ago they were around 24 in a class. Today where I live it is closer to 36 and more in some areas.

Private school class sizes are still around 14 or 16.

So we have the old dichotomy where ordinary people can't accommodate big parties at home and use the local, village or parish hall. They always have, ever since I came into the business.

Conversely, those with the money to afford a private education also have the money for big houses and they frequently have their parties at home. Just as they always did.

What has really taken off are activity centres, soft play areas where for two hours the children have free run of the place, are fed and watered and then they go home. No entertainers are booked and indeed, a reason given by parents for booking these places is that the children are occupied throughout and there is no need to spend any more. And prices are very low.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Are these parties indoors year round? Or do they go outside for good weather?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Most are private homes, 75% or so. The rest at Hotel room, church hall, or some other location where they rented out the hall.
Life of Magic!
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
I live in California so the parties I perform at are about 50% indoors/outdoors of course depends on weather. In California, most days are sunny with a breeze all year round.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Event halls very popular during this time in NY
Razamatazz Magic
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
128 Posts

Profile of Razamatazz Magic
In the UK we tend to perform more larger parties (2 hours) in halls as the avaerage UK home is smaller than in the US. Local village halls, sports centres, school halls, church halls, Pubs are most popular. Companies usually use their canteens for entertainments to save on costs at the moment. Apart from the odd show where we have performed in places like restaurants or cinemas or shopping centres the rest of the smaller shows are in the home.

We always encourage bookers to hire a hall for the larger shows so that we can give them the full show without cutting back on anything to fit in the venue. Never seen a gated community in the UK although they probably do exist.

Smallest show we ever did was for "5" kids !!!! Hard work LOL. When we arrived, we were told that there was a sickness bug !!! Biggest show has been 800 Boy Scouts at Cheltenham Racecourse (UK)+ all the senior leaders and parents. It was outdoors on a beautiful day and an amazing show. The bigger shows always seem easier than the smaller ones, does anyone else find this ???

Regards
Andy & Sue
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Pretty much all my birthday shows are in the clients home.

Wolly
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Andy & Sue,

I'm impressed!

And I certainly agree. Larger audiences are easier to entertain than smaller ones. Sometimes I think they need each other to have a good time. LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Most of my b-day gigs are in homes. Yes, this doctor still makes house calls! clownybeth, is that one of the exotic critters from a petting zoo that took a liking to you? funnybone, is it true you've been spending time in the Orient recently?

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
Razamatazz whatever country you perform in your set-up is primo. I agree about the large the audience the easier and better the show tends to be. When I worked in comedy clubs the hardest room to work was the empty one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Where are the kid parties NOW! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL