The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Be brutal with me! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Hey guys can you have a look at my new show reel for my public speaking site and let me know what you think? Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGujY5-0CWM
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Jon, be careful what you pray for, you just might get it? Besides an offer to be brutal, could bring out the sadist in some of us? Smile
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
I enjoyed most of it. The magnetic hand section was too long. Great for promoting your hypnosis...wait, you don't do it anymore? The last minute or so was about your speaking...why not more on that? It was more of a documentary...not much of a sell on your seminar. Potential is there, just refine more about what bennefits the potential seminar participant will receive?

I learned a lot about YOU and really loved that part. I feel connected to you and intrigued. But not to go to your new seminar. Good promo for your teaching hypnosis to others.

Just a thought or two.

-Scott M
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
First, let me say that your souped up wheelchair is awesome. Next, let me just say that to have worked through this time with limited capabilities is inspirational. I found the byplay with the monkey very funny and think it a good and unique inclusion.

I have but one question, is the posted video intended as a promotional tool, or is it just something you posted for us? It may be just a bit long if intended for promotional purposes? Otherwise, I thought it a fine introduction to you and your style.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I like the video the production values were really good.

However I wasn't sure about the focus or marketing message it was a bit confused and weak. Also the focus was too much on you hypnosis and not enough on your customers and results. At the end of the day people are more concerned about what you can do for them they just need to know you are the guy to do it for them. That never came across for anyone specifically.

I also felt that you had at least three videos melt into one.

The last sequence selling your influence course didn't work for me. The voice over I thought was very weak even twee. Your influence seminar needs a totally separate video its not clear who its aimed at. There are no results based testimonials etc. If you are selling a course on persuasion then YOU need to deliver a persuasive message.

You have a huge history as a "successful" hypnotist there is no mention of your achievements for example working on Paul Mckenna's series. The number of shows the size of the venues. You are not diffentiating yourself from thousands of hypnotists.

I developed a process called hypnotic business presentations it deals with creating hypnotic structures if you ever want to find out more let me know.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
For example right away I could see a potential market for speaking to organisations about disabilities. I know of one organisation near me that paid Jack Black 7k for a two hour session on his mind store and they said it was rubbish. They had their clients there in wheel chairs. Jack apparently did the same old crap and talked down to them.

Im pretty sure you could put a great programme together that would truly inspire them since you have overcome lots of the issues and problems they have.

Although I don't know what funding would be like these days with the current climate.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi Jon.
First things first - there were some great moments in this video, and the production values were high. I loved the monkey routine. It had me laughing, which is unusual with youtube.
However if this is a showcase for you as a speaker you need to shorten it slightly and sell yourself a bit more. It needs a bit more focus.
Looking at it specifically as a speaker there were two minor concerns I think you should look at. When you are performing you speak flawlessly. But when you are addressing the camera you tend to throw in the odd "em". Unfortunately the bits to camera are near the opening, while the performance, which showcases you better, comes later. Also, you used the word ******** early in the presentation. Speaking bookers tend to be a conservative bunch, and I would use a different word here.
That aside, with a little tweaking this could be a very effective tool to showcase your speaking talents. All the best. Tony
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Yes the hypnosis bits were good.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Can I ask who (clientele) you wish to watch this?
ie:
People looking for a corporate entertainer?
People looking for someone to do a talk in general?
People looking for a motivational speaker? etc.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I've enjoyed the video but the marketing aspect became kind of lost as it felt more like a documentary rather than a promo reel.

Just to add, the promo part of the video that comes in at the end felt completely out of place (ironically enough) and jarring. My suggestion would be to take pertinent soundbites from the video, edit it together to essentially highlight your skills as well as some of your beliefs, then end it with a less jarring and subtler promo information.

The footage required is obviously there, all you really need is a video editor who can easily get the job done (not even a superb editor, I think most video editors would be more than up for the task).
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Wow thanks guys. Very interesting comments.

Quote:
On 2011-02-22 21:34, jdmagic357 wrote:
Jon, be careful what you pray for, you just might get it? Besides an offer to be brutal, could bring out the sadist in some of us? Smile

JD I've never found pussyfooting around to be of any use. And to be honest 'a bit of pain never hurt anyone!'

Well obviously it did didn't it? Oh Carp!

Quote:
On 2011-02-22 21:49, Scott M wrote:
I enjoyed most of it. The magnetic hand section was too long. Great for promoting your hypnosis...wait, you don't do it anymore? The last minute or so was about your speaking...why not more on that? It was more of a documentary...not much of a sell on your seminar. Potential is there, just refine more about what benefits the potential seminar participant will receive?

I learned a lot about YOU and really loved that part. I feel connected to you and intrigued. But not to go to your new seminar. Good promo for your teaching hypnosis to others.

Just a thought or two.

-Scott M

Thanks Scott, yes the mag hands does drag. You're totally out there though, what makes you think I don't do hypnosis anymore?

The seminar has it's own full thing here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTL5TZ_HjI8 and the speaking page is on my new site at http://jonathanchase.com

Quote:
On 2011-02-22 21:51, jdmagic357 wrote:
First, let me say that your souped up wheelchair is awesome. Next, let me just say that to have worked through this time with limited capabilities is inspirational. I found the byplay with the monkey very funny and think it a good and unique inclusion.

I have but one question, is the posted video intended as a promotional tool, or is it just something you posted for us? It may be just a bit long if intended for promotional purposes? Otherwise, I thought it a fine introduction to you and your style.

The Liberator wheelchair and the Powertryke which fits to it were designed by a British Paraplegic, it's designed to go off road for which I have mountain bike wheels and can do up to a grade 3 cycle track. Think not too hilly woods.

Thanks for liking the Charlie routine, most of what I do is my 'version' of other stuff but that's one I wrote myself back in '89. Believe it or not Charlie is still going and is nearly 37!

It's a sort of promo. And point taken.\

Thanks

Quote:
On 2011-02-23 04:41, mindpunisher wrote:
I like the video the production values were really good.

However I wasn't sure about the focus or marketing message it was a bit confused and weak. Also the focus was too much on you hypnosis and not enough on your customers and results. At the end of the day people are more concerned about what you can do for them they just need to know you are the guy to do it for them. That never came across for anyone specifically.

Yes, for once you are right ;-)

Quote:
I also felt that you had at least three videos melt into one.

That's exactly wrong! - - - - It's four. Well four and a bit.

[quote)
The last sequence selling your influence course didn't work for me. The voice over I thought was very weak even twee. Your influence seminar needs a totally separate video its not clear who its aimed at. There are no results based testimonials etc. If you are selling a course on persuasion then YOU need to deliver a persuasive message.
[/quote]
Agreed. We'll have to stop doing this people will talk! As I've said the Svengali System has it's own full video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTL5TZ_HjI8

Quote:
You have a huge history as a "successful" hypnotist there is no mention of your achievements for example working on Paul Mckenna's series. The number of shows the size of the venues. You are not differentiating yourself from thousands of hypnotists.

Errm never worked on Paul's series, unless you count the routines he stole ;-)) I did advise him somewhat in his early days when we worked together on the British Council of Professional Stage Hypnotists for which I was the Parliamentary officer who worked on the submission for the 1952 hypnotism act.

Quote:
I developed a process called hypnotic business presentations it deals with creating hypnotic structures if you ever want to find out more let me know.

Is it free?

Remember I lived up there for nearly ten years.

Quote:
On 2011-02-23 04:59, mindpunisher wrote:
For example right away I could see a potential market for speaking to organizations about disabilities. I know of one organization near me that paid Jack Black 7k for a two hour session on his mind store and they said it was rubbish. They had their clients there in wheel chairs. Jack apparently did the same old crap and talked down to them.

I'm pretty sure you could put a great programme together that would truly inspire them since you have overcome lots of the issues and problems they have.

Although I don't know what funding would be like these days with the current climate.

If it were a very decent sized audience expenses would do, I could do with the video footage, and could possibly throw together a training as well ;-) IM me.

Quote:
On 2011-02-23 06:33, TonyB2009 wrote:
Hi Jon.
First things first - there were some great moments in this video, and the production values were high. I loved the monkey routine. It had me laughing, which is unusual with youtube.
However if this is a showcase for you as a speaker you need to shorten it slightly and sell yourself a bit more. It needs a bit more focus.
Looking at it specifically as a speaker there were two minor concerns I think you should look at. When you are performing you speak flawlessly. But when you are addressing the camera you tend to throw in the odd "em". Unfortunately the bits to camera are near the opening, while the performance, which showcases you better, comes later. Also, you used the word ******** early in the presentation. Speaking bookers tend to be a conservative bunch, and I would use a different word here.
That aside, with a little tweaking this could be a very effective tool to showcase your speaking talents. All the best. Tony

Thanks Tony, got you about the focus, I'm a greedy bar steward though!

The odd terms were because it was a promo for channel 4 and I was being interviewed on the spot as it were. Point taken.

I did say bull-s*it you are right, again that's from the channel 4 thing and I was being sold that way, again good point. and the order of things..... mmmmmmmmm

Quote:
On 2011-02-23 11:19, bobser wrote:
ie:

Yes Bob

Quote:
On 2011-02-23 11:32, kissdadookie wrote:
I've enjoyed the video but the marketing aspect became kind of lost as it felt more like a documentary rather than a promo reel.

Just to add, the promo part of the video that comes in at the end felt completely out of place (ironically enough) and jarring. My suggestion would be to take pertinent soundbites from the video, edit it together to essentially highlight your skills as well as some of your beliefs, then end it with a less jarring and subtler promo information.

The footage required is obviously there, all you really need is a video editor who can easily get the job done (not even a superb editor, I think most video editors would be more than up for the task).

Thanks Kiss, I do all my own editing on Final Cut studio and my Mac, it's my hobby you see. ;-) Trouble is as I said to tony I am a little greedy.
Smiles

Jon Chase

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Jon Chase wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-23 11:19, bobser wrote:
ie:

Yes Bob
[/quote]

Well in that case I'd say that I'd expect you to get lots of 'talks in general' and perhaps some hypnosis gigs.
However I'd want to put a bit more work into the motivational speaker promotional DVD.
For what it's worth here's my tuppenceworth:
I feel that saying 'b-llsh-t' detracts rather than adds in the corporate and motivational fields for some companies. Therefore it's not worth using. Not on a promotional clip anyway.
I'd have wanted to choose a different past life subject and a better, more revealing clip (assuming I'd use past life in a corporate or motivational speaker promo, which I don't believe I would).
I wouldn't use the 1993 Corby story in a promo clip where you tell the story of the reaction to you saying "sh-t"(albeit it IS a good story, on the day it's okay of course).
I noticed the stage hypnotists loved the Charlie clip as I'm sure you simply must, having used it for the amount of years you said. However, for a promo clip on motivational speaking to a corporate body I'd drop it. I didn't like it at all (even although the crash team working on the monkey was extremely funny). Smacking the monkey on the ground will not sell one single gig, but could cost you many. Sorry, but we're not talking of a stage hypnosis show here but rather a much much higher market. I simply found myself asking a question: "Would Anthony Galie include this in his corporate promo to 'Dunn & Bradstreet'?"
And finally, while I'm talking about Galie, I did love the very last part of your clip that informed me, the listener, that Jon Chase is, like HIM, an: 'Internationally Renowned Speaker!'He possesses a Svengali System (not sure if I loved the name BUT it IS a system I'd possibly like to hear more of) which he claims will give me more control in both business and my life in general. I felt I was getting close to the money there, but then the promo finished.
So... as a motivational corporate speaker I'd want to see and hear a clip of Jon Chase, standing (or sitting) before a crowd, motivating them, through what he says... and does. Did I mention Anthony Galie earlier? Y'know what? I do believe I did. And the Anthony Galie counterpart here in the UK is who? What's that? There isn't one? Mmmmmm sounds like a plan to me.

I do hope this helps in some way Jon. You've definitely got it all. It's there. We who know you can see it. I simply think you need to re-tell that story. The PROPER story (for this market). I think your quiver has some great arrows in it, but perhaps, for this target, your using slightly wrong points (great analogy huh?)

Regards,
Bob (all of this for free? f-ck me!)
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
A uk Gailie sounded like a plan to me also a few years back but I knocked it back.

Reason being most businss people I have trained in other aspects are terrified of being hypnotised. I think you would lose more work than you would gain.

The UK is a different mindset than that of the US.

Jack Black was a huge success over here. He was basically a pretty lame hypnotist teaching a pretty lame form of self hypnosis but made a fortune. Nowhere did you ever see him "taking control" or doing the usual stage skits with people.

If he had I doubt he would've been very successful.

But that's my take on it. I am right only about 99% of the time so you never know...
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hmmmm, sounds like that 1% creeping in with us once again.
Jack couldn't actually hypnotize and I do believe that the reason why there wasn't a UK Anthony Galie is for the same reason that there's not a U.S. Derren Brown.
Class dear boy.
You quite rightly knocked your idea back all those years ago because secretly you always knew that.
And that's nothing to be ashamed of. These guys are truly in a different league. Galie it is said earns in excess of $5million per year on the USA corporate circuit. Lets be honest. Most don't get close to earning 1% of that!
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Anthoney has created and closed on his niche is the US mostly in Insurance. Very lucrative indeed. But you know it isn't entirely bout making the cash for me anymore, although naturally that is nice, it is way more about touching and moving people and yes, leaving a legacy I guess.
Smiles

Jon Chase

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Wow, sounds just like Mindpunisher.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2011-02-24 15:47, bobser wrote:
Wow, sounds just like Mindpunisher.

Mindpunisher zapped Jon, just sayin.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Bob just my opinion ofcourse go out and try it you might be right. But here is mu thoughts about everything. Influence is largely an unconscious response that no one has control over. For example think about someone insulting you or your mother. For most there will be an unconscious response. Perhaps you will be offended or even lash out. Its the same but positive response we want to build into our clients. An uncontrolable urge to do business with us. Here is the problems with hypnopsis as I see it on a corporate level.

First of all no one wants to look silly in front of their boss it could cost them promotion even their job. No one that books a speaker wants to be blamed for making someone potentially look silly or they too can lose their job. Hypnosis IS associated with comedy, pub entertainers and dodgy dangerous practices in the minds of the general public. Ok there are exceptions but as a rule that is the case. Now you can see or at least begin to see what overt hypnosis triggers in corporate minds. It is the very opposite of what you need to be successful.

And Jack Black's Mindstore is nothing but a bad two day progressive relaxation induction with crude self hypnosis therapy. Its basically ****e....

But here is where the real hypnosis takes place ---- its his ability to tap into the drives, insecurities and needs of his target market and offer them something that is so irrestiable to them that pay him tousands of pounds for an hour of his time. Jack is a brilliant hypnotist as are all good marketers. They truly undrstand the minds of those to target their products at...

My problem for years was trying to shove what I liked doing into a market or create a market. Its only now after years of struggle thousands of pounds on marketing training t hat I have finally got it. Find a hungry market and give them what they want.

Don't make the mistake of pushing what you love doing and miss out on the real key to getting into a market.

Gailie operates in a much different market. He is brilliant at what he does it just wouldn't work over here though.

that's my opinion just an opinion though.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I truly believe that Gailie makes what he makes not because of his hypnosis but because of his mindset around money. I reckon he probably would've done it with something else had he not been a hypnotist.

I believe it Ive seen it with my clients. Once they make a shift the money pours in. More often than not they end back up at the same level because they "refuse" to raise their unconscious set-points.

Bit like how many who win the lottery end up skint a few years after.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'd probably agree with all of that..................................................................................................
................ except that simply I cannot believe, in fact very probably don't even have the capacity to believe, that certain things 'cannot' happen here in the UK.
Pakar (in another thread) is talking about doing hypnosis without talking about hypnosis. This is where Galie has excelled.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Be brutal with me! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL