The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The basics to all impromptu magic. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
I know this is obvious, but I haven't seen it posted, so here goes.

It would seem that the basics of all impromptu magic, would be slight of hand? Once learned would not the practitioner be able to perform wherever and whenever with whatever? I can recall as an exercise traveling trains, and just doing things to passengers for the heck of it. Not only did we have fun, but my skills were tested as to how much I could do with literally nothing. And when I say nothing I mean not even a deck of cards. Latter I developed a small kit I could carry in a fanny pack (yes I carried a fanny pack) with some basic items like a TT, cards, coins, pen and paper, sponge balls, and such, and even though I was "prepared" the magic still looked impromptu. So I guess the trick is looking unprepared, when in actuality I was.

Just my experience. Hope it helps?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Nice post.

I have a site I call IMP for some impromptu and apparently impromptu tricks.

The link is below my signature.
trouser
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of trouser
Thanks Jaz. I've bookmarked your site.
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Yes, Jaz, nice site. Well researched and some great resources. Very useful.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Just about every magician I know has some rubber bands either around their wrist or elsewhere & are ready to do some impromptu with them.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Buy Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Tricks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Yeah I always carry a Card Deck, Loops, Thumbtip and Sponge Balls
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
"Nothing"
NO Pre-Show Work
NO Stooges
NO Clipboards
NO Nailwriters
NO Playing Cards
NO ESP Cards
NO Billets
NO Wallets
NO Gaffs
NO Gimmicks
NO Special Materials
NO Muscle Reading
NO Hypnotism
NO Threads
NO Mirrors
NO Electronics
NO Rough & Smooth
NO Gilbreath Principle
NO Filler
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Intaeresting! Only one is still an active "member" since the OP.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Intaeresting! Only one is still an active "member" since the OP.

Well Dick, to be fair, at least one is deceased....
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
A few basic sleights and some creative thinking will set you up nicely. The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne is a great primer for this kind of magic, and if you can locate it, be sure to check out Lifesavers by Michael Weber - these two books are must haves as far as I am concerned.

"Only someone who is well prepared has the opportunity to improvise" - Ingmar Bergman Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2020, Socrates wrote:
…
"Only someone who is well prepared has the opportunity to improvise" …

This is well worth repeating and considering as to this string, and as to the magic of life itself.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
New discoveries of neuroscience as to how our brains function (and don't) increases the importance of psychological ploys in performance magic
and certainly impromptu performance before an unknown audience as to experience and appreciation of live effects.

This is why I have changed my approach to describing magic effects in ebooks to include details of "why and when" as well as "how and what,"

plus a "prelude" approach in which you a can evaluate or train the audience as to what good magic is and even branch to alternative effects.

So, in answer to the OP -- the basic to all impromptu is learning what the audience of the moment expects and then give them a bit more.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The basics to all impromptu magic. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL