The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Are you a Ventriloquist or a magician or both? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Pretend I signed that ^

-Philip
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am a magician but the best thing I ever did was add the vent to the act. Now I book myself as Tony Baloney and Leroy the Talking Dog. My publicity material also has me and the dog. I don't mention either magic or ventriloquism on my cards.

Also when I am booked for a puppet show I no longer bring the big Punch and Judy booth. I bring me and the dog, and they enjoy it far more than my old puppet show.

I am not a great vent, and it only occupies a quarter of the show. But it is the quarter they remember, and that gets me rebooked.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2011-03-01 23:09, kidshowvent wrote:
Sorry, Wizardpa..I've been a full time vent for 30 plus years full time and I do absolutely no magic in my show. I get more dates where people tell me that there are too many magicians (most doing all the same stuff..) and that vent is so unique it was a welcome change. You can do magic trick after magic trick, but what do the kids remember? The puppet..if it is done correctly. People DO book ventriloquist only..no question about that.

Me too, I don't do magic in my shows now. I usually use 3 puppets in my 30 minutes show. Only 3, the audience remembers only 3 puppets plus me. No need to remember magic after magic.

The only frustrating thing is that they kept saying "magician", "magic show", "magic tricks" each time I introduce myself as a ventriloquist. Perhaps the word "ventriloquist" is not a popular word in their dictionary. Smile
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Just like George Schindler's Vent book title.... VENTRILOQUISM IS MAGIC WITH YOUR VOICE! Chris I would not hesitate to book yourself as both Magician and Ventriloquist. The word Ventriloquist is becoming quite popular again...and nationally people are starting to know headliners Jeff Dunham, Terry Fator, Jay Johnson, etc, etc, etc.

Do some market testing. However you are getting your bookings.... Put some test ads out (or a dedicated web page) for yourself just as a vent. Another ad, or dedicated webpage for both Vent and Magic. These would be in addition to the efforts you have going for just Magic. Give it a few months, and you might find that bookings climb even more.
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I agree with Steve. I certainly don't see any problem booking yourself as both a vent and a magician if you have both skills. I do, and I don't have any problem getting work.

Also, I niche market myself because I don't do children's shows of any kind. I leave that up to those very talented vents who can, and want to, entertain kids.

Doug
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 12:21, Doug Arden wrote:

I don't do children's shows of any kind. I leave that up to those very talented vents who can, and want to, entertain kids.

Doug

Doug;

I don’t perform for kids because my probation prevents me from coming within 100 yards of children; then when I am doing my routine the little tykes sitting on the floor always want to know why I wear an ankle bracelet…
c.mcbrien
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
52 Posts

Profile of c.mcbrien
I'm a comedian who does vent and magic...that's what I say when people ask me, because that's what I am. My focus is on funny, and I do about half and half in my show. Personally, I think if you're a good entertainer that's what really matters, and the vent and magic are simply the tools to do so...so there's no "magic vs. vent" really. If you can do both, and your audience likes it, do it!
"Drama and ego are great for the stage, but when I'm off the stage, I drop all that crap..and don't put up with any!"

http://www.chrismcbrien.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Hi c.mcbrien

I am confused, I see you as an inner circle member, then here your a new member,

Howz that?..
c.mcbrien
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
52 Posts

Profile of c.mcbrien
How about you tell me why you're on probation? One good question deserves another, right?
"Drama and ego are great for the stage, but when I'm off the stage, I drop all that crap..and don't put up with any!"

http://www.chrismcbrien.com
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 14:48, c.mcbrien wrote:
How about you tell me why you're on probation? One good question deserves another, right?

Touche... Smile
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Ha Ha, it would take a guy from Chicago to ask about a probation question; it seems to me that everyone in Chicago is on probation.

What’s in your basement?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Are you a Ventriloquist or a magician or both? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL