The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Professional Rope Routines DVD (World's Greatest Magic) vs Fiber Optics by Sanders (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
RE: Professional Rope Routines DVD (World's Greatest Magic) vs Fiber Optics by Sanders

Which one is the better choice for a beginner in Rope Magic. I only ever learned "The Professor's Nightmare".

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 5:31am
BTW: I need this for Parlour shows.
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
You might want to check out Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Set (3 volumes) instead. It starts off with a beginner course in rope magic, and works up from there.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I don't have the WGM video, but I do have Fiber Optics. The major differences are because they are different sorts of instructional products.

In Fiber Optics you learn a routine. You learn some variations on that routine, but it is one basic method and concept of how to do a no-cut rope routine. Phases of the routine can be used in other places and situations, you can remove phases to shorten it up, whatever. But ultimately, you get one routine with some variations. I really like the routine and I really like that it is instant-reset with no consumption of rope.

In the WGM videos I have, you get several different performers with several different performances. You might find exactly what you want for a routine on that DVD or you might decide you want to put something together from bits and pieces of different routines. Some performers are better teachers than others, too.

Personally, I have two rope routines, both use up the rope as I do them, and both involve cuts and knots. I've put them together from books and videos. My routines work for me, but they won't work for everyone.

My advice: get Aldo Colombini's DVD Roped In, get Fiber Optics, get WGM Rope Routines, get Karl Fulves' book on self-working rope tricks, and spend a while figuring out how to tell a story with rope.

Less expensive? Watch some videos on YouTube of performances (not the exposure vids - look for professional performers) of good rope routines. Think about what you like and what you don't and how you could make certain elements fit your personality. Do you want a particular theme? One of my routines is a story about my mother teaching me to tie knots. It has a narrative that I illustrate with my rope. The other is inspired by, but not the same as, Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot (mostly using moves from the Colombini DVD). Either way, there's a narrative that holds the magic moments together. You need something to make it flow if you are going to do more than a quick one-off trick.

After watching a bunch of good performances, you decide what particular elements you need to learn in order to make it work for you. Do you need a particular kind of cut and restore? Do you need vanishing knots? Do you need a rope to stretch? Figure out what you need to do and then start looking for instructional material that delivers it.

Those are the two ways I know to put together a routine, to recap:
1) Get all the instructional material on the subject and put it together until it turns into a routine.
2) Figure out what effects you want in a routine and then learn how to do them.

Number one is more fun, but number two saves a lot of money and a fair amount of time. I bet most of us collect huge libraries of information that we seldom use.

So, what's the story you want to tell?

-Patrick
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Set (3 volumes) and Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks for Magicians gave me a great understanding in what rope magic can cover. Fiber Optics by Sanders gave me a base routine to build up from. I now have 3 rope routines and a few more bits.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 09:36, mahucharn wrote:
You might want to check out Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Set (3 volumes) instead. It starts off with a beginner course in rope magic, and works up from there.

Ditto, Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Set is great. I also own Fiber Optics Extended. But for a beginner with no prior knowledge of rope. I would first try Daryl's set then move on from there. Hope this helps.

Always in magic

-Bobby Smile
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
434 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
As I have already mentioned at another topic here at magic Café, I have professional rope routines and I am very glad I own this DVD. When I bought it I only knew "the three ropes in one". This DVD really taught me how to perform magic with ropes. You will learn all the famous moves and they are also presented as routines which will help you build your own. Rope magic is great because it actually is totally ungimmicked which I could not believe when I realised it. It's worth trying for sure and for the price the DVD is a must. On the other hand fiber optics offer some great moves, most of them are more visual but they need a lot more practise and they do not leave you "free".you must always be there.

For the beginning try WGM video and if you need more material get fiber optics. if you need another suggestion I would propose you the tabary rope but you will be able to perform it after some months of practise and performance of the classic moves. It is more complicated and needs sleight of hands but is very visual if performed well
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
For a new approach take a look at Francis Tabary who revolutionized rope magic and won a FISM award with a rope routine
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
I don't own the WGM DVD, but I own others from that series such as sponge balls, chop cup, etc and I think those were really good so I can only assume the rope magic DVD is of the same caliber. I'm actually interested in this as the only rope stuff I know is from Mark Wilson's Complet Course In Magic book.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Not having the Daryl set, which I would have to assume is good based on the reviews. I can only reccomend the WGM series. I have the Prof Rope routines, Professors Nightmare and Ring on rope from them and they are all quite good dvd's. For a general outline the Professional routines one would be a good start, the ring on rope has some good ideas to add the ring to a routine thus breaking up the monotony in your routine. The Prof Nightmare is what it is 5 or 6 different takes on the same effect.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 05:22, WV wrote:
RE: Professional Rope Routines DVD (World's Greatest Magic) vs Fiber Optics by Sanders

Which one is the better choice for a beginner in Rope Magic. I only ever learned "The Professor's Nightmare".

World's Greatest Magic
vinod_furtado
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of vinod_furtado
WGM PROFESSIONAL ROPE ROUTINES by Murphy's Magic

Any review about this product. seems like a good buying option for 20$
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Professional Rope Routines DVD (World's Greatest Magic) vs Fiber Optics by Sanders (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL