The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Attention Mem-deck Workers! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Joshua Foer is the author of “Moonwalking With Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything,” from which this article is adapted, to be published by Penguin Press next month:
Quote:
Two of hearts, two of hearts. Two of diamonds, two of diamonds. Three of hearts, three of hearts. Card by card, each one matched. When we got to the end of the decks, I threw the last card down on the table and pumped my fist. I was the new U.S. record holder in speed cards. A 12-year-old boy stepped forward, handed me a pen and asked for my autograph.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/......ets.html
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The memory exhibitions I've read about all involved the person staring at the deck spread face-up for a relatively long period while concentrating. Even only 30 seconds would be a long wait for a magic audience, although an audience might wait that long if the understood they were seeing a memory demonstration.

Thus, memorizing a specific deck order in advance is far more practical if the goal is to create magic. Then, if false shuffles are done, or even real shuffles that are specific controls, the deck can end up in memorized deck order. Then the individual card positions will be known without looking at any of the faces of the cards.

Having a good memory is useful. There are plenty of routines where memorizing a short sequence of several cards is required, and that can be done relatively quickly.

And, please understand, I am not diminishing that memory feat; it is very impressive.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
T. G. Murphy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of T. G. Murphy
Hey Panlives,

I just forgot what I was going to say.

Oh yeah, thanks for sharing that very interesting article.

Imagicatively yours,

T. G. Murphy
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
This is already out and was released on March 4th (finished it last week).

Great read, big reason I am starting to work on my Dominic system PAO pegs. Given an hour a day with a 3 card image I would think most of us could get to 2 minutes within 6months-1year.

I think the applications for book tests, magazine memory tests, phone number / names and partial stack work make this very useful.

Memorize 13 cards from top, 2 faro's and now you have every 4th card memorized ready for Marlo's routine (from Marlo In Spades), or even just Aronson's Lazy effect without needing to stack.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If you do want to go into magic with a borrowed, shuffled deck, check out Bob Miller's BAM: Borrowed and Memorized Deck.
moualb
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of moualb
Scott, was not able to find any review on the book you mention. any pointer ?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a review of it myself.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lorayne can do it faster.... and get a standing ovation.
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
How fast can lorayne do it?....
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 16:10, Daegs wrote:

Great read, big reason I am starting to work on my Dominic system PAO pegs. Given an hour a day with a 3 card image I would think most of us could get to 2 minutes within 6months-1year.

Looks like the international record for a single deck is down to 21.9 seconds:

http://web.aanet.com.au/memorysports/dis......spdcards

http://www.worldmemorychampionships.com/......ents.asp

Well, I finished reading the book today and I found it to be quite enjoyable and interesting.

Like yourself, I've started developing a PAO system to use. I already use the memory palace / method of loci to memorise shuffled decks, but have always just used 52 locations and kept one card in each.

About the book, one thing that astonished me were the ways in which some savant skills can be physically induced. E.g., with a solid blow to the head or - even better - via transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).

Another astonishment to me, a point made by the author a few times, was how poor most of the USA Memory Champions are compared to their European counterparts. E.g., the USA record for 52 cards is 1:03. (Almost 3 times slower than the world record.)

http://www.usamemorychampionship.com/records

Daegs, maybe you should have a go! Certainly, I would think that someone here could break that with a bit of practice.

Some video of last month's USA Memory Championship.

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/asset/m......248CD8EA
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
moualb
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of moualb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfHK0eOe1rQ
Bob Miller performing a memory (not a magic) routine with half of deck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Attention Mem-deck Workers! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL