The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Same Presentation, Different Method. What's the Etiquette? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Hypothetical: Let's say you come up with an idea for a routine and you think it's just the bee's knees.

Your heart sinks, though, when you discover that someone else is already doing pretty much the same effect.

The routine has been published. So, you purchase a copy and discover that your method is completely different.

To spectators, however, both presentations would still be so close as to be seen as "the same."

Are you precluded from performing your routine without first obtaining permission from the other fellow? Is it okay because you bought his published version anyway? Can you give your version a new name because you do it a different way?
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Go and publish that: then get your dose of harsh criticism:
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Ethicly speaking you should do it if your feel it. If you came up with your presentation and method in an independent way,
I don't find neccesary to asks permissions.
If you publish your idea and you know about that similar idea, is better to give references for further study.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Are you planning on publishing your version?

if so, then I would send a digital copy of this version to the person who already published their method out of courtesy.

If you do not plan on publishing your routine/method, but plan on performing it, and have purchased the published material. There is no viable reason you are not be able to perform your method.

As for the routining and patter, that is a different scenario. Is it just the theme that is the same or the theme and patter?

if it is the theme, then there should not be so much a problem as well. Themes are not as many are believed.

If the patter is virtually identical, then there is a problem if his published routine included the patter. This is where sending your method/routine out of courtesy is also helpful. If the published author sees no problem with your putting out your routine/method then GO FOR IT!

if there is a problem with the patter, then put out the method only and not the presentation IF YOU FEEL YOU MUST, but make reference to the other's work. And again, send it to the published author and see if they are OK with such a resolution.

The world is small and filled with petty rivalries, complaints, and arguments over things that really do not matter that much. So if being courteous is a way to avoid more of the same, then why not? No?

Besides, I have found in my own experiences that many are quite generous and if able willing to help another if it will add value to the fraternity.

Hope that helps,
my best,
Walter
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Ofcourse you have the right to publish it, if your method is genuinely new. It may well be like John Archers Blank Night; a massive improvement upon the old techniques!
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Mind Guerrilla,

Unless there were restrictions on performance rights when you purchased the other routine, I can't see any reason you cannot use the routine (even the patter, word-for-word), but use your method.

You would only need to give the routine a different name if you want to publish your method. Otherwise, why would you want to tell your audience what it is by any name?

Regards, Steve
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I can see no reason why one should be precluded from performing one's own original effect. IMO the fact that it a layman might not be able to discern any difference between it and a similar effect performed or created by someone else is inconsequential. To most laymen every effect in which a spectator selects a card which is then apparently "lost" in the deck and later found or revealed by the performer is perceived to be "the same trick" despite the fact that we know that there are probably hundreds of different ways, developed by hundreds of different performers, by which it can be accomplished. It is silly to assume that one must seek the permission of everyone who created such an effect simply because to the layman they all look the same.
Dick Christian
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 08:06, Dick Christian wrote:
I can see no reason why one should be precluded from performing one's own original effect. IMO the fact that it a layman might not be able to discern any difference between it and a similar effect performed or created by someone else is inconsequential. To most laymen every effect in which a spectator selects a card which is then apparently "lost" in the deck and later found or revealed by the performer is perceived to be "the same trick" despite the fact that we know that there are probably hundreds of different ways, developed by hundreds of different performers, by which it can be accomplished. It is silly to assume that one must seek the permission of everyone who created such an effect simply because to the layman they all look the same.
Well said, and totally logic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think its simple, if you want to perform it and its been published, go right on ahead - that's the beginning and end of it...

if you want to publish it- send an ecopy to the person who's presentation you use and say "hey, I've got a different method to do it...let's have a quick chat...thanks" then a credit to them in the booklet, and your method...

and there's no harm in saying "this is an alternative method to *insert name and effect*, here's my handling of said effect..."
I've asked to be banned
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Are methods copyrighted and effects not? I think that's the point.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
To my thinking, a truly new effect is a rare and beautiful thing, and its creator deserves considerable respect. So I would always seek permission from such an originator were I to consider publishing that same effect with a different method. Sometimes a drastically different method can improve a piece considerably (and sometimes it's just different), so it certainly deserves to be published, but the original creator of the effect should always be respected to the extent possible.

A good example of this is the "The Real Thing", from my Stimulacra book. The effect is almost identical to Bruce Bernstein's excellent "Eat at Joe's", although the method is completely different. So I sought (and obtained) Bruce's permission before publishing my version, gave him detailed credit in the book (plus a complimentary copy), was careful not to expose his method, and described in some detail why I chose to use a different one.

Neither methods nor effects can normally be copyrighted (technically speaking, it's possible for the latter, though extremely difficult to defend), but that's not the point. Respect for the art, and one's fellow creators, is.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It comes down to the fact that many props copy the effect in completely different ways. Should Alakazam not market the Stealth Assassin Wallet because there's already a Thought Transmitter floating around out there? Both offer p**ks. But both have completely different operating systems.

Is the "invention" of a new sleight different? A new concept?

New methods are wonderful...new effects are...well.......rare.

My fear is that SO many people have gone before me that the idea I thought of and arrived at on my own may be a thought thunk by someone years ago. The field of magic is so vast...with such history. Who can know everything that has gone before?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Lots of things are like that.

What's the problem really?

ACAAN and Book Tests are all like that.

To the Audience, they are the same things.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
David wondered:
Quote:
It comes down to the fact that many props copy the effect in completely different ways. Should Alakazam not market the Stealth Assassin Wallet because there's already a Thought Transmitter floating around out there? Both offer p**ks. But both have completely different operating systems.

I believe that this is entirely different. A p**k is not an effect: it is a methodology. I see nothing wrong with people coming up with alternate methodologies; I wouldn't expect them to credit different methodologies, unless there were some specific reason for doing so.

Quote:
Is the "invention" of a new sleight different? A new concept?

Again, methodologies, so what I wrote above applies.

Quote:
New methods are wonderful...new effects are...well.......rare.

My point exactly. You should never copy someone's effect without permission. Although we all know that this is all too common in today's market; just because it's legal doesn't make it right.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Same Presentation, Different Method. What's the Etiquette? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL