The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Let me introduce myself.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stuartle
View Profile
Regular user
* UK *
142 Posts

Profile of stuartle
Hi first of all let me apologise for all my previous posts as pointed out by stereo..

Im Stuart I'm from the UK I have a medium size collection of Tenyo items around about 100 pieces some new/mint some opend and played with.. I have been collecting Tenyo for about 5 years now, I just love the imagination and creation of Tenyo and find that their items never grow old...

My favourite Tenyo tricks are: Ninja Experiment, Mini Morphasis, Dragon Altar and Crystal Cleaver.

My least favourite trick is: Magicians Finger..

I also have a website which is currently under construction at http://www.wix.com/stuartle/tenyo

Other than Tenyo I love card magic, coin magic and close-up magic...

I hope we can all start again and forgive and forget and once again I apologise for my previous posts...

Stuartle
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Welcome aboard. Dragon Altar is also a big favorite with me.

John
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Just wanted to welcome Stuart too and thank him for the pleasant transaction.

I've done business with him the last two weeks and everything went perfect, so as far as I can tell this is a trustworthy person Smile

Ninja Experiment is always popping up as 'favourite' Tenyo trick, but I wonder this is because it is so ingenious/nice looking/typical Tenyo or is it because it is just a great trick? Because everyone I've performed it for (even in 'ideal light conditions') figures it out immediately ... Smile
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
"[Ninja Experiment]Because everyone I've performed it for (even in 'ideal light conditions') figures it out immediately ... "

Ah, the magician's second worse nightmare (besides a botched trick). You flawlessly perform what you think is a mindblowing trick, and the spectator then says "Oh, that's easy. You just..." and proceeds to explain it exactly.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
I think Ninja Experiment must be performed below eye level in a fairly evenly lit area. It is really too small for the one magic meeting in which I tried it.

I have never done it for normal people.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
What do you mean normal people? Laymen or magicians? We are "normal" aren`t we??

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2011-04-09 22:38, ropeadope wrote:
We are "normal" aren`t we??

Spitting my morning latte all over the keyboard, laughing that much....!!
Oh boy, that quote made my day!

So we are normal? Putting plastic toys into cabinets, looking for special kinds of packages ("No Japanese package please"), hunting them down at eBay for +$300, sharing ideas to avoid the plastic movements sound like plastic movements, debating over fragility of tiny skeletons.....okay, I must admit: we are normal!

:dance:
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Me I like the japanese package for Mini morphosis and Impossible pen for example.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Quote;
Spitting my morning latte all over the keyboard, laughing that much....!!
Oh boy, that quote made my day!

So we are normal? Putting plastic toys into cabinets, looking for special kinds of packages ("No Japanese package please"), hunting them down at eBay for +$300, sharing ideas to avoid the plastic movements sound like plastic movements, debating over fragility of tiny skeletons.....okay, I must admit: we are normal!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUURE we are!

John
Nothing is better than more.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Quote:
On 2011-04-10 03:54, nicolino wrote:
... looking for special kinds of packages ("No Japanese package please") ...

This is something I really do not understand. I have been collecting Tenyo for several years now and the first years I just threw away the package. I mean, it is nice to look at (for some tricks that is), but if I see a trick sell for 50 USD and a few months later the same trick wrapped in plastic sells for 180 USD ???
Is this because people don't 'trust' if it is really good condition when mentioned in an advertisement?
For example, I had (have) a few mint Wonder Windows however I had one that I traded without packaging but, as I tested, was in 'excellent' working condition (some Wonder Windows don't work very good). I offered him the 'perfectly working' (even without scratches on the clear plastic plates) for +/- 45 USD, but he really wanted to have a mint one. I sold nothing (I offered him a fair price (65 USD) a few days later (for the mint one) but he already bought one at an auction site for a lot more ... .

My collection has a lot of tricks that I bought from people without original package. And people ask me "how did you find/collect so much Tenyo tricks?"?! Well perhaps, it is I am satisfied with a good working, good condition Tenyo item without cardboard and plastic … .

Afterall, we do perform these (or most of) the tricks to people, right? Or do you people buy the mint ones, look at them and put them away in mint condition in a display cabine or trunk and that is your satisfaction? All respect if you do this, but this is not how I got my Tenyo collection and I don’t understand this. If you want to perform the trick, you have to open the package, right? I now open the packages very carefully of course and store them (perhaps, one day, I will sell my collection, but this is not very likely to happen), but I just don't get it.

Perhaps some people buy only 'mint' tricks because they already own the trick and want to have a spare OR, perhaps, more likely, want to gain money in a few years ...? (nothing wrong with that of course, occasionaly I also buy a 'mint' trick as an investment for over 10 years or so).
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
2nd that Killertweety! The whole package thing is kinda bizarre. The only aspect that makes any sense to me is that a sealed package sort of guarantees mint condition of the enclosed trick. How often has an effect been described as "Mint" on the big auction site when really the seller has been overly liberal in its used codition description. To me, the whole point of Tenyo is to entertain, bafffle & boggle others. Their intent is performance. Sometimes the modus operandi or apparatus is so exceptional, that we the performers are also entertained, baffled & boggled. A true bonus. The thing that really bothers me about all this & the insanely escalating prices is that the young budding or just staring out performer cannot afford it all. How many of us would have been a entertainer to this day, if as youngsters we could not afford the very tools of our trade or hobby?
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
So for me I take more pleasure to see the trick in his unopened package that have the props alone itself ! But this is true just for clear platique package where you see the props not for box. If I have the choice I prefear have all my trick in brand new package unopened in my display case (and maybe after + 1 spare opened to make the props in scene like in Tenyo office). For me the beauty of collection is the whole ensemble, trick in his beautiful package like the first day and like it was imagined by the creator and designer.

Ps:If you have a wonderwindow for 45 Usd you can sell me this one ;o)
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
So Stereo if I understand correctly, you don't care that much really performing the tricks and find it more important to just 'have' it in mint condition?

Or do you just collect them like: one for performing and one for in the display cabinet?

Wonder Window? Yes, I have my own working perfect (VERY fluently) and you can have it for blablabla and the mint one for blobloblo - for your bliblibli, remember Smile

David
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Yes, ideally I take more pleasure as a collector in watching the one in his package ( but only the one where you see the props behind the clear platic). So if I had the financial means I would have one for performing and one brand new unopened for my personal pleasure.

I always had a strange attraction for boxes and packaging, I do not ever throw in the trash.

Besides, I must admit I was shocked when I discovered that some customers who had bought me Tenyo on ebay had torn packaging. The high selling price of the items I put on ebay it's because the tricks are brand new, so if it is to open it I do not see the interest of buying a new one when we can get one used for 10 times cheaper. It hurt my little sweat cute heart Smile I die every time I think of this nice little package bruised Smile why so much suffering? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Let me introduce myself.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL