The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Ellen Degeneres appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rich Ferguson
View Profile
Regular user
California, USA
190 Posts

Profile of Rich Ferguson
If you have not seen it, check out ELLEN today, March 31, 2011. Many have seen the clip on EllenTV.com but that's just a teaser. I'll be uploading the rest to youtube as well.

Here's an interview from last nights news: http://www.youtube.com/user/ucmagic#p/a/u/0/HSiHCRG5Xws

Here's the teaser clip on Ellen's site: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEllenShow#p/u/5/UTTXkt_WCJU

Cheers, RICH
<BR>http://www.TheIceBreaker.com
<BR>Creator: Official Poker's Chip Tricks, Card Stunts, Shuffles & Cuts, Flourishes • Tagged • Serial Biller • This is Mentalism • Tricks to Pick Up Chicks • Blank Gag Books
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Well done, Rich. Congratulations!
Rich Ferguson
View Profile
Regular user
California, USA
190 Posts

Profile of Rich Ferguson
Here's the whole section of segments: http://www.youtube.com/user/ucmagic#p/f/4/SXMxfq_plF4
<BR>Creator: Official Poker's Chip Tricks, Card Stunts, Shuffles & Cuts, Flourishes • Tagged • Serial Biller • This is Mentalism • Tricks to Pick Up Chicks • Blank Gag Books
Rich Ferguson
View Profile
Regular user
California, USA
190 Posts

Profile of Rich Ferguson
The amount of topics and forums at this site are out of control! I had no idea where to post this thread! HA! If you think it should be in a more obvious category that I did not interpret correctly, let me know. Thanks. ... It's a very clever site, but why there are no categories SIMPLY called things like "Magic on TV", "New Product", etc... Smile:)
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Great job Rich! Congrats!
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Tremendous job, Rich. I was a little taken aback by the studio audience's reactions, or what I could hear of it. It seems, just from watching the video, that the impossibility of the wonderful card transpositions flew by them. Ellen even says something like, "Are you guys seeing this?", as if she noted the lack of reaction. Maybe it has something to do with the distance of the studio audience from the proceedings. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this. I'm sure you get great reactions doing it in the real world.

Also, I think I detected an edit in the video in the middle of the CTW. I'm sure you didn't need one there. Was this just the internet video or was there an edit in the television broadcast?
Rich Ferguson
View Profile
Regular user
California, USA
190 Posts

Profile of Rich Ferguson
Quote:
On 2011-04-03 11:56, Randwill wrote:
Tremendous job, Rich. I was a little taken aback by the studio audience's reactions, or what I could hear of it. It seems, just from watching the video, that the impossibility of the wonderful card transpositions flew by them. Ellen even says something like, "Are you guys seeing this?", as if she noted the lack of reaction. Maybe it has something to do with the distance of the studio audience from the proceedings. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this. I'm sure you get great reactions doing it in the real world.

Also, I think I detected an edit in the video in the middle of the CTW. I'm sure you didn't need one there. Was this just the internet video or was there an edit in the television broadcast?

(not complaining or making excuses... just being open and learning along with many others...)
That edit was not on TV... Just wanted to protect WAY too much flash than necessary for the clip I'll have forever! Just minutes before the effect, we removed whole time travel, bent card phase, etc. I have never done that effect with a chosen card and heat like it was... misdirection in person is a breeze! ( Actually, I palm from the side and bottom like mad)... On the show, I flipped it over and simply took it as I was told in rehearsal that the camera was on her and the other card at that moment. Rehearsal was very precise. In the end, the camera watched me simply palm the card... then, with the palm being a little unusual, the position must had been enough different to cause my CTW not to be instant like it is. My window/book effect: I've never had to tilt the book or expose the word. That was changed last minute as well. Usually, I do NOT know the word openly at all and it is just peeked by the spectator under their hand. They insisted that we all see it in rehearsal. In a dash to come up with a solution, I thought it was great that we ALL see it and give her the prediction FIRST. I'd certainly handle that a little different as well. Phewy, that's a BIG lesson for anyone doing TV. Regardless of the rehearsal and what they say, prepare to be caught and take no chances. I could have KILLED with some other moves if I knew the focus would be on my hands, etc. It's a real bummer from a technical standpoint. (but only decent magicians have a clue anyhow.) HOWEVER, it was a blast and she LOVED everything as it was obviously all intended for HER, not magicians. There were many gasps that were not picked up in my local DVR feed recording. My clip's audio is pretty bad actually... but all in all, they were sort of mouth open sort of reactions. Of air was even more of a blast for sure.

The segments producers collaborated and essentially picked the effects based on what they wanted and time limits. Mentalism and my very interactive stuff was a red flag being not so perfect on time... and they also have a responsibility to Ellen. They wanted to stay away from highly interactive stuff first time out. Smile

From a business side, I can only say positive things about EVERYTHING, the crew, their support, the exposure. They are awesome fun people. From a magic side, I'll have to shine a bit more for magicians next time. From a magic side, I hope some are inspired to see the VALUE in making effects about THEM and not YOU. Smile

Cheers, R
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Nicely done, thanks for the additional insight.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Ellen Degeneres appearance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL