The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Changebag with? Or without handle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
I just wanted to share an experience with you all, I recently noticed that some kids know a change bag with a handle when they see one, and even though my performance with it
Is very different, some of the kids get a small version of a change bag from magic kits.

My question is I was planning on going to a no handle change bag and not use my handle vhangebag.

Has anyone had any experiences like this?

And secondly does anyone use a no handle changebag ? Do you like it ?

Armando
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
The change bag is such valuable prop I use both a handle and non-handle, sometimes in the same show! I agree, some kids do recognize the handled change back, but how many times do your bring out a deck of cards and a kid will say, "I know that trick!" There are thousands of cards tricks but the kid instantly knows the one I'm about to do.

My point is, its not the prop, but what you do with the prop that matters.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Yes ken I agree with you 100% it is about what you do with the prop.
what do you prefer using if you Haddd to pick one?

Armando
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Because I do many of the classics of magic, I perfer the classic change bag with a handle. Fits my personality.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hey, Mando. The cool thing about a changebag without a handle is that it looks less like a prop which is what you were getting at. I have a nice blue velvet-like one that has worked for me. There is also a triple change bag without handle that also rips open to reveal that there is nothing left inside the bag at the end.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Yep that's exactly it jimmy. The triple changebag you mentioned sounds very interesting, maybe you should show me some thing your trying to get rid of jimmy! Lol

PS-any one else with feedback or personal preference and personal experience with change bags for kids and families

Armando
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
I'm going back to using the "Tote" (handleless) change bag. To make it even more ordinary, I tell the kids that it's a marble bag. "No, I didn't loose my marbles; I just took them out."

Thom
Mando
View Profile
Regular user
Queens, New York
189 Posts

Profile of Mando
Do you know where I can get a good tote bag?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I always use a "tote bag" or a Rip-open Change Bag.

You can make a good "Tote bag" or Rip-Open style Change Bag and if you do you get one that fits your act and the expected contents for the effect. Sometimes it is a good idea to buy a cheap version (cheap versions aren't always cheap but they are sometimes made of inferior materials) as a prototype and make one that suits you better.

If you lack the skills or time to do it, take some time and think about what you want it to look like and how big you need it to be. Remember you may want to put your entire hand in the bag if you want to turn it inside out quickly and easily. Make a pinned up bag to get an approximate size. I know two great seamstresses who have the inside knowledge to do this. P.M. me and I'll and get you in touch with one of them. You can discuss the project with them directly.

-Mary Mowder
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I never base a routine around a change bag. I always use them as a utility device as part of the effect (not the main part).

I like the handled ones because:

The workings are more devious so I think they're stronger magic than a flat one.

They're less fiddly and take less time to show empty etc

They can be done one-handed and therefore can be used in in puppet routines and there's less picking up and putting down of things in routines

The cool thing about a changebag with a handle is that it looks less like an everyday object. Folks see those every day!
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Where can you buy a rip-open style TRIPLE change bag? I would like to get one--I've only seen the ones with two compartments.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Quote:
On 2011-04-13 19:37, Ken Northridge wrote:
Because I do many of the classics of magic, I perfer the classic change bag with a handle. Fits my personality.

Wait!!? We're suppose to have a personality? Smile

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
There's also supposed to be a baseball hat changebag out there, but from what I hear the handling is a bit more difficult. But some folks in here have spoken well of it too.

I like my handle type zippered triple load bag. I use it with a large mismade flag and it's never failed to please especially with the "magician in stress" comedy aspect.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
"Tote Bag Change Bag" in my Dollar Store Magic section. Then get extras so you can turn your Tote Bag into a Dollar Store Blendo Bag; Tote Bag Topit; Spotty Tote; and my personal favorite - The Diminishing Nested Tote Bags. If you can't find a Tote Bag in the Dollar Store, cheer-up; they are available for almost a dollar on-line: http://www.amazon.com/Loew-Cornell-TBMN5......&sr=8-15
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I do both, and many variations.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On 2011-04-14 14:09, noland wrote:
Where can you buy a rip-open style TRIPLE change bag? I would like to get one--I've only seen the ones with two compartments.

Here you go (available through Barry Mitchell):

http://www.barrymitchellproducts.com/sto......hangebag
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I use both and especially like the zipped double change bag. I get the kids to put their hands through the unzipped bag and also drop in the silks which end up on the floor. I have found that even though children may know the secrets if they are engaged in your show they do suspend belief. Later in my show I use a flat change bag.

Recently, I had a dozen or more made up cheapily in different fabrics (thanks mom) and sold them on to the first dealer who saw them. There are many different versions available.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Changebag with? Or without handle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL