The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Subtrunk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainbolt66
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of brainbolt66
I have recently purchased a sub trunk, and still need to buy some material so I can start practiceing, What kind of material have you found that works best? Thanks in advance for the input.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I've had MANY sub trunks over the years.. and my favorite curtain was made from heavy double knit polyester.. it's opaque, it durable.. it's machine washable.. and nearly indestructible.

My one major suggestion is that your curtain is ANY color but black... you want it to stand out from the rest of your stuff.. and if you make it a complimentary color to your wardrobe you use in your show... (which ALSO shouldn't be black!!!).. you will show up against if better.

Even with all the "improvements" of the curtains over the years.. I still prefer the full hooop version. I made mine out of 1" PVC and made it collapse with bungee on the inside.. that way it could fold with a tug on each side, and snapped back into place easily.

A full hoop version can be done surrounded.. but it's a bit tougher to handle by yourself.. so it has pro and cons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woxl29YWP9M

Granted.. this video was a LONG time ago... but it was fast!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Go to jo ann fabric and buy TRIGGER its the name of the fabric to use it is almost identical to what makeupguy is describing. this is what I use and it has held up for over 10 years with countless shows.

oh and as for color yes makeupguy is also right there too don't use black. Red is a good choice as it will really pop on stage. if you use blue or other "darker" colors feel free to add some thing to them with color. a design with some mylar or sparkle something to add a little life to it.

http://www.samsandler.com and you can see my videos and one is the subtrunk
sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
brainbolt66
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of brainbolt66
Thank you for the great advice and videos. I have been doing church shows for about 3 years, and this is my first big illusion. I am anxious to start practicing, so I can put it in my show. And Sam very nice web site. One more question, do you guys recommend using the bag inside, or is handcuffed enough?
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I still think the Pendragons are the King and Queen of the subtrunk! Lightning fast...but, makeupguy...you were dang close!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Thanks.. and the sub trunk I did at the amusement park the year before was even faster.. and done nearly surrounded most of the time.. but alas.. I don't have very good video of it..

The secret is to be FEARLESS.. and have a trusting fearless assistant who will trust that you'll get your head down without looking.. and without waiting to hear the SLAM of the you know what.

The rest.. is simply doing it 5-600 times a season..

That.. and I spent most of the summer with bruised shoulders.

PS.. Thanks to Karen Davis and Lisa Johnson for being the best assistants a magician could ask for in that illusion, and to George Kimery for making what is still my favorite trunk.. but I wish I could do it again with a bigger target!!
RyanAdams
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of RyanAdams
Go for the whole shabbang...handcuffs...bag...padlock etc.
Really adds to the impossibility of escaping.

I have been using the sub-trunk for 2-3 years and it is one of the best illusions out there!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Subtrunk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL