The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Platonism Debunked!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not really, but it got your attention. Interesting experiment that proves nothing, but might get you thinking:
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/20......l?ref=hp
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Reminds me of a fascinating book, unfortunately out of print called "On Blindness". It's a series of letters between blind philosopher Martin Milligan and sighted philosopher and journalist Bryan Magee. Magee argues that the nature of our senses strongly determines the nature of our knowledge, and that a blind-from-birth's person's knowledge is radically different from that of the sighted. Milligan argues that knowledge is inherently propositional and can be equally acquired by anyone.

If you can get your hands on a copy, it's definitely worthwhile (in spite of a few slow spots).

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Magnus, that reminds me, I just finished reading Oliver Sack's new book, "The Mind's Eye". He mentions "On Blindness" in the last chapter, where he discusses different cases of how people who had become blind during or after their teens had adapted to their condition. Oddly enough, some blind people become even more "visual"; one engineer became able to visualize the interior mechanics of gearshafts in motion to the point where he could modify and improve the design.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-04-20 09:16, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Reminds me of a fascinating book, unfortunately out of print called "On Blindness". It's a series of letters between blind philosopher Martin Milligan and sighted philosopher and journalist Bryan Magee. Magee argues that the nature of our senses strongly determines the nature of our knowledge, and that a blind-from-birth's person's knowledge is radically different from that of the sighted. Milligan argues that knowledge is inherently propositional and can be equally acquired by anyone.

If you can get your hands on a copy, it's definitely worthwhile (in spite of a few slow spots).

John

So one philosopher posited that knowledge was radically different between the sighted and the blind, and the blind philosopher claimed to know something that was radically different...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-04-20 10:24, LobowolfXXX wrote:

So one philosopher posited that knowledge was radically different between the sighted and the blind, and the blind philosopher claimed to know something that was radically different...

LOL!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Man, I'm glad you're here, Stone.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
A dog came in the kitchen
And stole a crust of bread.
Then cook up with a ladle
And beat him till he was dead.

Then all the dogs came running
And dug the dog a tomb
And wrote upon the tombstone
For the eyes of dogs to come:

A dog came in the kitchen
And stole a crust of bread.
Then cook up with a ladle
And beat him till he was dead.

Then all the dogs came running
And dug the dog a tomb -
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I am more concerned about neo-Platonism, actually.

W/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Platonism Debunked!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL