The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your cell phone 'Must' accept the president's cell phone messages! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2011-05-11 16:11, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Yep, I would be happy to receive this free service.

Besides, how cool would it be to say "Please hold on one second, I just received a text message from the President."

Since everybody else's phone would be going off at the same time with the same text message, I would think it wouldn't be very impressive.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I'm sorry I can't respond to your post I just received an email from the President.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dang, and I don't have a cell phone! Never figured the need.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
People starving and war in the world and an unwelcome emergency text from the Prez is the worst part of our day.
***, it feels good to be a gangsta'.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-11 16:12, mastermindreader wrote:
The legislation for this was passed in 2006 under the previous administration.

Bob, we all know that already. Didn't you catch all the Café threads five years ago from the same people who are calling out the present President on this?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-11 17:37, critter wrote:
People starving and war in the world and an unwelcome emergency text from the Prez is the worst part of our day.

You know, I love it when people present this dismissive argument.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Most jurisdictions that use the automated calling systems require voluntary subscription or at the very least allow a subscriber to opt out.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Here is an ironic legislation that might put things into perspective?

http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/tcpa.html

Specifically, check out the national Do-Not-Call list. Wonder what happens when you flag the Pressident for spam?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-11 22:00, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-11 17:37, critter wrote:

You know, I love it when people present this dismissive argument.

Wasn't an arguement. Just an observation. I think I have a pretty good life. Even with the impending threat of a possible but unlikely text message.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Alright, you want serious? Here's my best attempt.
3 words: Emergency Broadcasting System.
You think I want to have The Ultimate Fighter interrupted with "EEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! There is a storm warning..."
No, I don't. But if they're evacuating the city, it's probably best I know. I don't get a choice on getting my show interrupted. It's a hell of a lot more inconvenient to have my show interrupted than to recieve a text message.
Well the EBS has been around for, I don't know, ever. How many times have y'all complained about it on here?
Why not? 'Cause it ain't political? 'Cause you can put a face on this one?
No difference. It's not like the text is going to hypnotize you. It's not a subliminal message to go kiss some cop's buttocks. It's a text notification. I get them when my balance is low, and I'm pretty sure I can't opt out of those either, nor would I want to.
This is just a ridiculous thing to complain about.
Well, that was mostly serious anyway.
~Will Rogers
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 00:40, critter wrote:
You think I want to have The Ultimate Fighter interrupted with "EEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! There is a storm warning..."
No, I don't. But if they're evacuating the city, it's probably best I know. I don't get a choice on getting my show interrupted. It's a hell of a lot more inconvenient to have my show interrupted than to recieve a text message.
Well the EBS has been around for, I don't know, ever. How many times have y'all complained about it on here?
No difference. It's not like the text is going to hypnotize you. It's not a subliminal message to go kiss some cop's buttocks. It's a text notification. I get them when my balance is low, and I'm pretty sure I can't opt out of those either, nor would I want to.

I wish this was facebook... I'd hit the like button on this one. Kudos.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-11 16:12, mastermindreader wrote:
The legislation for this was passed in 2006 under the [Democratic congress].

FYP
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

The legislation for this was passed in 2006 under the [Democratic congress].

FYP

FYI-

Given the following, your amendment to my post is misleading as it implies that the bill was created and passed by the Democrats when, in fact, it was overwhelmingly bipartisan.

The bill, which was passed as part of the Safe Port Act of 2006 (H.R. 4954 also known as the Warning Alert and Response Network Act), was introduced by a Republican, Rep. Daniel Lungren (R-CA3). It was passed in the House of Representatives by a vote of 421 to 2 and in the Senate by a vote of 98 to 0. It was then signed into law by President Bush.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-4954

The fact that the Congress was under the control of the Democrats is irrelevant as it was introduced by the Republicans and its passage was nearly unanimous.

But apart from that, my point in posting that the bill was passed in 2006 was to contradict the implication in the original post that the Act was the result of some sinister scheme by President Obama.

Good thoughts,
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 01:42, mastermindreader wrote:
But apart from that, my point in posting that the bill was passed in 2006 was to contradict the implication in the original post that the Act was the result of some sinister scheme by President Obama.

I appreciate that.

But I do think that in so doing, you created an implication that was similarly misleading (though not in degree).

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 01:42, mastermindreader wrote:
The fact that the Congress was under the control of the Democrats is irrelevant as it was introduced by the Republicans...

Sponsored by *a* Republican, btw, and 80 co-sponsors, 51 of whom were Democrats.

But as you say, it's not like people were voting against it.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Lest it seem otherwise, btw, I have no problem with this legislation or the events of last week (or the president's handling thereof).

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I really don't see what was "similarly misleading" about my post. I simply wanted to point out that the Act preceded the current administration by two years. Your change, "passed in 2006 [by a Democratic Congress]" actually creates the impression that the Act was a purely Democratic thing, when, in fact, it wasn't.

Here's a link to an article that provides a bit more about what the act is all about and which, in my opinion, offers a good justification:

http://townhall.com/news/us/2011/05/09/n......o_launch

Good thoughts,

Bob
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 00:40, critter wrote:

Ed Zachary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your cell phone 'Must' accept the president's cell phone messages! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL