The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic and medicine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shimonmagic
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of shimonmagic
Hi everybody my name is Shimon I’m a med student and a magician and with collaboration with a professor of sociology (which is also a magician). We are starting a research, combining magic and medicine the age of average subjects is from 4 to 8. I would love to hear your opinion on what kind of magic tricks can be dome to this group of ages.
Thank you in advance Smile)))
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
What country are you from and what medical school are you currently enrolled in?

Gerry
shimonmagic
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of shimonmagic
I'm from Italy and I'm enrolled in the medical school of Pavia university. The doctor that I'm working with is from Padova university. We are still building a prototype... abstract basically ground work.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
490 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Hello Shimon,

If you use the google-search for the words "magic trick medicine" you get some interesting results.

Good luck

Daniel
shimonmagic
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of shimonmagic
OOPS the spelling corrector have "Magically" transformed the teach to dome…
I think that I didn't phrased the question right. I would like to teach magic to kids from the ages 4-8.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
490 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Hello Shimon,

OK, you want to teach these kids magic tricks. Are the kids in a hospital or in which way is medicine a topic here? Please explain so we can help you.

Daniel
shimonmagic
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of shimonmagic
Basically we are building a frame work, in which the child is exposed to a story in which there is a magic trick. Afterword when the child arrives at the doctor, the doctor teaches him the trick/magic * the secret. In this way reinforcing the patient doctor bond and minimizing the fear of the child from the medical prosigiar.

In the program that we are building we need 10 different tricks they don’t have to be impromptu because we will be able to manufacture the necessary “kit” (cards cups ropes… ) and the child will get to keep it.

The first step of the research will be done with dentists. In the second we are hoping to work with chronic patients.

** you would have to excuse me for my spelling I haven’t been speaking English for awhile.

p.s If more details are necessary, I will happily give them in a p.m I don’t want to expose the trial before it have started in writing, for the world to see.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It surprises people to find that in my bag I carry a sponge ball clown nose given me by the real Patch Adams. Look him up and I think you will get loads of good ideas. Magic and medicine are a good combination. (My wife is a physician who is also a magician!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
David Copperfield used to run a program called PROJECT MAGIC that was along this very same line...

I'm not sure who's running it now, if anyone. But someone who was involved HAS to be on the Café.

Anyone? Anyone?

here's what came up with PROJECT MAGIC google..
http://www.dcopperfield.com/flash/main.html

click on project magic...
it seems to still be viable.. and is based in Topeka, KS
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Yep, it's now called the Healing of Magic, same ideas, same tricks, just different name. Julie DeJean out in California was the first to adapt it to actual Physical Therapy goals so that the PT and OT technicians could still get paid for utilizing the program. kevin Spenser picked up the ball and is running with it currently but anybody can make an appointment with the local hospital Physical Therapy dept.
http://www.honestabetradingpost.com/Come......e_12.htm
Bill
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
There have been many articles in the Linking Ring on that subject. Besides the Healing of (and Project) Magic, I think of a magician(can't remember his name) in Israel that had a cover story in TLR a while back.

Personally I have used magic and other arts with my work as a counselor since the mid 70s. Though I have not met Patch Adams, I have come in contact with a few people that have known him. One was the lady that trained me in Alpha Theta brainwave treatment, when I worked with prisoners at Lansing Correctional Facility. We had hoped to bring him (Adams) to a program in Kansas. Sadly that didn't come to be.

For your age group things like knot in rope, rubber bands, simple cups and balls come to mind.

Magic can teach sequence, following instruction, persistence, as well as help in speech therapy.

Harris
laughologist and nearly normal counselor
still 2 old to know everything.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
shimonmagic
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of shimonmagic
Thank you everybody for the responses Smile)))
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
Jeff McBride's Mystery School organizes a Magic for Medical Professional conference every year. You might check out his site for more details.

SPM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic and medicine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL