The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bouncy castle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Phil Blackmore
Hey hey!

I've got a possible booking for a 2 hour party for thirty or so 5 year olds in a local hall. However they have told me they are also having a bouncy castle at the same time.
I normally would do 45 minutes of games, lunch/cake etc, then a 40 minute show. How should I accomodate this with the bouncy castle? I don't really want the kids on the bouncy castle during the show or games, however I feel it could be a big distraction.
Any ideas, advice or suggestions?

Cheers,
Phil
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
There are bounce houses at a lot of the bday shows I do. It's not a big issue - just discuss it with the parents before. The only suggestion I would have is to try to set up your area far enough away from the bounce house, so that it's not a distraction visually or audibly (if the compressors are running) during your performance.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I would suggest that you have the bounce castle turned off during your performance.
The compressor makes too much noise, and it's quite a distraction.
Tricky Ricky
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Tricky Ricky is spot on. Especially if it's indoors, you don't want the noise and distractions. By eliminating the bounce house, you'll command more respect, and the kids and adults will enjoy the show more, I guarantee it. I think a professional entertainer does their best to eliminate distractions and ensure all focus is on them during their show. Good Luck!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Incorporate it into the games. Switch it off during the show. You have to insist on that. From bitter experience.
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Thank you everyone for the great advice.
I think incorporating it into the games is a good idea! Musical bumps on the bouncy castle for starters.
Simon says jump really high.
Any other ideas?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I agree with turning it off. long ago, I performed out doors with a big giraffe bounce house directly behind me. It seemed fine when I started but as the show progressed the thing would deflate, bowing its long neck toward the kids and causing a lot of comment. Then it would go on loudly and the kids would watch it inflate. A little time for some Magic then the bowing would start again. I think it had a leak.

My first bounce house experience was a learning experience.

-Mary Mowder
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I had one at a Church show, I did about a month ago.

At a set time, the kids were directed out off the bounce and to my show.
Prior to that some of the kids saw me setting up, and started filling in the front rows.

Bouncy castles are not the top conflicts. Anyone work and event where the stadium seats are seperated from the stage by a road. Oh what fun when a vehicle or motorcycle drives by. Can you say running gag...

Harris
still green and learning after many years in the "biz"
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Another vote for turning it off...and doing the show as far away as possible from the castle.

I wouldn't advise you to incorporate it into your games, however. Children on the "bouncy" things have occasionally been hurt by landing wrong on their necks etc. You don't need to be liable for encouraging them to play on it on the very off chance something happens.

Just a thought...

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Pull the plug yourself AND MAKE SURE IT'S EMPTY.
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

That's a fair point about the kids hurting themselves, I wouldn't want them to blame me.

It turned out that the party was on a day a can't do, so I don't have the problem now. However I'm sure it will come up again, so it's good to know how I should deal with it Smile

I'd probably do a shorter games session and also finish the show earlier to allow them time to play on it.

many thanks,
Phil
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, I arrived at a party once where the hostess was trying to make arrangements for a child who had lost a tooth and cut his lip in the bounce house. Fortunately I think it was a milk tooth but the blood and crying were not a good sign. As you can imagine the kids were crowded around the turmoil.

I surely did feel needed on that day. I picked the most likely place for the show and shouted for the kids to come and get a good seat quick while I set up.

The show really helped 'till a Bee started buzzing around the Cool Aid which got spilled on the blanket covering a child who was shouting I'm allergic to bees which you have to take seriously.

We haven't even gotten into wind or heat issues.

I'll do about all I can to dissuade people form out door shows and I know I'm losing Shows because of it. Sorry I'm wandering off topic.

-Mary Mowder
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 14:21, David Thiel wrote: I wouldn't advise you to incorporate it into your games, however. Children on the "bouncy" things have occasionally been hurt by landing wrong on their necks etc. You don't need to be liable for encouraging them to play on it on the very off chance something happens.

David is right! Anything you incorporate into your show IS your show. That includes your props, hand-outs, party favors, volunteers, and the evil bouncy. Even if you discount the possible liability, you're still left with bad press if something goes awry or someone gets hurt… or just complains. Also, politely insist that the bouncy is turned off during the show. No matter how far away you are from the darned thing, some bored kid will stray off in that direction during your show. Finally, speak to the bouncy's crew before the show. I forgot to, once and the audience's attention was divided between my show and the activities of a loud tear-down crew, banging on tie-down-stakes and other such noisy equipment during the show. Like I said, I forgot once!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
351 Posts

Profile of magicone
I always ask that bounce houses be shut off during the performance to prevent any distractions.

My first unpleasant experience with an inflatable was on a 102F degree day where I was competing with an inflatable water slide and a pool! Needless to say I lost that battle and my rabbit was not very pleased either Smile

Parents don't mind when you explain it could cause an issue and take away from their child's show.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Always mention how they are saving electricity while the plug is pulled!
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I did a recent party for a 6-year-old at an outdoor picnic ground. There was a bouncy castle (moonbounce). When I booked the show I got the parents to agree to turn it off while I was performing, since we all want the attention on the birthday child and the magic show for the birthday child, at that point.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
There was a tragedy in Ireland recently with a bouncy castle.

They haven't got a great record full stop:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=......ccidents

Pinatas scare me too...
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
My advise is: Turn it off during your performance. I did a party where there was a bounce castle there, the whole time the kids were saying, "When can we go into the bounce house?" The dad went over and turned it off and the attention was now on me. The show went great after that.
Life of Magic!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Kids have died falling off the sides of Bouncy Castles. They are inherently dangerous, and if you attend a party where there is one, it would be wise to ensure that the parents are suitably concerned about the potential dangers. George's link also points out that brain damage may occur, and broken limbs are relatively commonplace. some other local entertainers offer Bouncy Castles as an option, but I've decided to steer well clear. There are plenty of other ways to allow kids to let off some steam, without permitting them to leap up and down in close proximity to one another....
In terms of competing with your show, as has been said, simply pull the plug on the darned thing, and tell the kids to gather round for the show....they will soon forget the Bounce House!
Potty.
ade
View Profile
New user
Singapore
85 Posts

Profile of ade
The first time I did a party show was the first time I encountered with a bouncy castle for the party... And since it was the first show I did (that was 5 years ago), you can imagine the havoc. I always have it turned off unless I feel that they are far enough (like in a totally different room). Even though I use my own sound system during parties, the generator noise is also extremely distracting.

I had the most painful experience once of having to perform IN FRONT of two bouncy castles. It was a carnival and there was nothing I could do about it. That was the only space where kids could gather and sit in front. While there were people who were supposed to hold off the kids from entering during the show, they obviously weren't strict on that... So I had kids jumping in and out behind me while I was trying to perform. In retrospect, I should have never agreed to do the show there... but I was young then!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bouncy castle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL