The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tora's Roating Suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
http://www.toramagic.org/product_show.php?pdid=555&ctid=11

I am considering the idea of acquiring this particular item for a couple specific uses. I am being offered it for a very decent price, so I am more than willing to get it.

One thing I need to know, and that is absolutely crucial, is wether this system allows for a full 360º rotation a la Lipan's Hallucination or not.

Knowing that Tora's products are no less than top notch quality, I don't worry about it being well made. One thing that I dislike about this company, though, is the lack of good resolution pictures (Or even bad pictures bigger than 100 aquare pixels, lol) or well done videos and descriptions of the props and effects.

So, anyone is experienced with this item? I know for sure this is not Tora's cration (I've seen other dealers carrying similar pieces), so maybe someone out there knows if this allows for a back and forth 360 degree rotation (as the ad kind of claims).

I thank you all in advance.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would like to say, from reading the discription and watching the pictures, that it only goes left and then back, not around the performer 360 degrees. The pictures show left, then right, but in the written discription, it does not say it does both. So only someone who owns it would know exactly if it does both left and right.

I do not read that it implies it goes 360 degrees around the performer. This is just my observations on your link given in above comments.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Read the second sentence more carefully.

Best,

Las
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Yeah, I say it kind of implies that it does 360º because of this: ",it starts rotating to the left and comes back to its previous locatio" - It is not explicit, but oh well, HOW MUCH TO THE LEFT it goes is my point of doubt.

I have owned Lipan's Hallucination in the past. It rotated to the left, went full circle (360 degrees, that is) then back right.

I believe this could be modified to do a full 360 but, really, I'd rather buy a new Hallucination, lol (Would cost me 4x as much but, hey, it goes up and down, left and right, back and forth - absolutely worth it). Now, for the use I plamnon doing with this item, I aim towards something much more simplistic than a levitation.

Sent mr. Tora an e-mail. Ay further info should help, though.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIH0_7l0ik

Found a video. It is definitely not a 360º, more like 45º to each side.

Kind of works for me, but I really dislike the ending, where the cloth is put back on. That could be arranged, though.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
A quick update.

Mr. Tora answered my e-mail about it, and I quote:

"Dear friend we have 2 model for "Rotation of a Floating Human"; one of them rotates definitely 360 degrees and its price is 1288$ and another one just rotates to right and left and its price is 885$."

It makes me curious as to wether the 1.300$ models of this illusion being sold everywhere (Including Amazon, lol) are either the first one or the latter.

I'll definitely get the 360º one. It's aretty good deal.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
This is a little off subject but a funny story that kind of fits. Years ago we made a levitation. It was called the "White Magic Portable Levitation" because it ran off of rechargable batteries so you could roll it on and off stage. After we built the first one it would rotate if you didn't use your leg to keep preasure on it. I spent two days fabricating a part to keep this from happening. After we sold a couple the latest and greatest thing became the rotation. I wasted two days of my life.

Now back to the Tora Levitation. Smile
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Haha, gotta love those "happy accidents"!
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
TheAmazingLuke
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingLuke
Please don't buy that
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 01:03, TheAmazingLuke wrote:
Please don't buy that

You'll have to elaborate juuuust a little further on that, Luke.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Only my personal opinion, but I’ve never cared for a levitation or suspension where you have the person laying on a floating board.

I think it sort of telegraphs method, and becomes the Floating Board Illusion, rather than the Floating Lady Illusion. Maybe the equipment can be modified?

I’d also guess the partial revolve would be as effective to an audience, and the 360 a perk for the magician, but that would need further exploration.

Magically, Walt
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Hey Walt,

I completely agree with you when it comes to the "floating ironing board" as I usually call these things, haha. I simply hate it! I modified the last levitation I owned as son as it arrived here. As a result I sold it for twice as much as I paid 3 years later, lol. These details make a huge difference - And when I get Tora's suspension I'll get rid of the board as quick as possible as well.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 12:08, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Only my personal opinion, but I’ve never cared for a levitation or suspension where you have the person laying on a floating board.

I’d also guess the partial revolve would be as effective to an audience, and the 360 a perk for the magician, but that would need further exploration.

Great thoughts as always, Walt. It's always a concession to have the board for me. The main problem with any revolve I've seen thus far is that it always points to the method in the same way that any radius always points to the center of the circle. If that point is concealed behind something, it always directs the spectator's subliminal focus to the center of the arc and the necessary support for everything.
Ray Pierce
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Ray's got a very good point, I must admit. Especially with a Suspension, that is so very true.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Edgar Alstad
View Profile
New user
Levanger, Norway
95 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad
I feel the same thing whenever a Pole Levitation is rotated at stage..
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
For levitations in general, I have always felt like the person should look like they're actually floating, as on a calm lake, instead of being suspended rock-solid in the air. If they were really floating, what would be causing it? Would the magician be harnessing the powers of nature to effect the floatation? If so, nature is fickle, so the floatation should be the same, with the person bobbing slightly, rather than rigid and fixed. The worst thing, in my opinion, is for the audience to be drawn to a solution as the person rotates around the magician.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
TheAmazingLuke
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingLuke
Fabio,
Well.........There is a good chance it won't do "what you want it to". I completely agree with Walt's statements, as well as Ray. I absolutely despise suspensions that include a board. I absolutely hate levitations that include a board..........that is unless it is a PERFECTED CLASSIC, like a Walter Blaney Ladder Levitation or Mark Wilson's suspension from his book. I just think you would be wasting your money I think that you would be better off getting Mark wilson's complete course on Magic, and having a local welder weld you the suspension from the book. We magicians often assume that this next prop will make our career. Unfortunately that is not usually the case. All I'm saying is do your research. Find whats best and in the end, knock your audience out with an incredible levitation that they won't soon forget.

Best,
Luke E. Mouton
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Hey Luke, thanks for he input.

Fact is, I'm absolutely aware about what it does and what it (the suspension) does not do. I have owned two levitations in the past - An Aga and a Hallucination - the second came with the board but I had it removed by another builder. And that is also what I plan on doing with Tora's suspension, boards just KILL the effect (By the way, am I the only one who does not feel all that wow'd by Blainey's suspension?) as many just mentioned. I'm not all into suspensions, but I had quite an idea of how to turn this one into a better piece.

The thing is, a good friend of mine gave me a few spare pieces from his workshop that, in conjuction with this suspension, will suit just fine what I want to do.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 07:15, ClintonMagus wrote:
For levitations in general, I have always felt like the person should look like they're actually floating, as on a calm lake, instead of being suspended rock-solid in the air. If they were really floating, what would be causing it? Would the magician be harnessing the powers of nature to effect the floatation? If so, nature is fickle, so the floatation should be the same, with the person bobbing slightly, rather than rigid and fixed. The worst thing, in my opinion, is for the audience to be drawn to a solution as the person rotates around the magician.

Barclay Shaw's levitation was like that. The girl was always moving, not rigid and it wasn't just a direct up and down. I seem to remember there being some deviation in the height. She also pivoted around him the same way and floated into a clear box, again with more of a fluid movement rather than rigid.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Barclay is a puppeteer and understands the animation of objects to create life. My background is the same so we approach it a little differently than I would as strictly a magician. The goal is to avoid any "mechanized" motion that takes away from life.
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tora's Roating Suspension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL