The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Beginning busking: so I've started a blog (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hi all,

I've started out busking this year and to help me, ad maybe others like me, I've started a blog to detail my experiences. Hopefully, I'll improve and my journey may help some other buskers who are starting their own journey on the street.

Let me know what you think.

It's at http://johnholtmagic.wordpress.com/

Thanks,

John
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I read the lastest page....Sonny fell off his bicycle. I'm very surprised any of these guys leave the 'hood but I guess they finally do.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Fun read. Boy the liberty of a blog is refreshing.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I am a deeply cyncial suspicious person with a generally positive shell (go figure). Personally I would lay off having a brick as a final load. I would worry that at some point some idiot will want to throw it at you....but as I say I am cynical.

Individuals - lovely, but amongst the mass you can guarantee there will be one idiot who makes up for the 100's of nice, normal people.

Of course I could be wrong. Stick with melon's same effect, and you can eat it at the end of the day.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day John
I am enjoying reading about your busking experience reflections.
For a long time I maintained transporting my table and working on cups and balls as the finale - I guess I was working of what I saw as a standard street show. In the last year I have taken Jimmy Talks a lots idea and left the table at home and moved to a chop cup routine followed by my 3 rope routine as the finale and for me it is working so much better and much easier to get around.
Like yourself I am enjoying working out what is best for me - keep up the writing.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)_
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Bob, when you are without a table where do you put your chop cup down during the routine?
The presentation makes the magic.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
MagiCol
I can work on the pavement or I do carry a small plastic fold flat stool (about 300mm/1ft high with a top about 1ft/300mm square)- I also sit the card duck on the stool - I suppose it really is a very low table but I also sit on it myself.
The folding stool packs in with my coloring book and sign in a compartment in my wheeled bag - the bag I am using at the moment is a multiple compartment computer bag that is the size that is permitted as airline carry on luggage.
I am enjoying the challenge of reducing the size of my kit while still being able to have options for variations in the performances.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Thanks for answer, Bob.
Im still learning a chop cup routine; how do you load the cup and get it down onto the table when the table is so low?
The presentation makes the magic.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day MagiCol
I was going to send you a private message but the option is not available so I have sent you an email in response to your question because the detail required would be difficult to explain with out revealing how this effect is accomplished.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 16:04, Munskin wrote:
Hi all,

I've started out busking this year and to help me, ad maybe others like me, I've started a blog to detail my experiences. Hopefully, I'll improve and my journey may help some other buskers who are starting their own journey on the street.

Let me know what you think.

It's at http://johnholtmagic.wordpress.com/

Thanks,

John

I gotta ask, if you practice with your eyes closed (to avoid staring at your hands) how do you know you didn't screw up the trick?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Ed,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Once the sleight has been mastered with mirror/video practice, THEN you can do the eyes shut thing.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Beginning busking: so I've started a blog (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL