The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Adults and Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

luke
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of luke
Perhaps a family restaurant is the most popular type of restaurant a magician performs in.

But consider performing for an adult restaurant afterwards. How would you change your sets and routines in accordance with the new audience? Would you use your standard chop cup routine or sponge ball routine? Do you have a whole new set?
Do you pull a tux and bow tie out of your briefcase to be dressed correctly for the occassion, while stuffing in your bright red suspenders and floppy clown shoes?

Although this may sound like an elementary question, how do you change your performance, dress standards, routines, and presentation to comply with the surroundings and why?

your's Magically

-Luke-
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
First of all, I would never wear clown shoes (although I do admit to the red braces).
And, normally, I don't normally wear a tux when table hopping at an upscale venue (I don't want to look like a waiter!)
So any change in dress (no, I don't wear a dress, either!) would be unnecessary in my case.
Same with the act: I have a couple of bits that I use for youngsters who are with their family. But, ordinarily, I would do much the same act for both groups.
As for "standard" routines, I don't do anything in the "standard" manner, so it's not a problem.
So the only change would be a couple of minor tricks, and some of the patter that is specially designed for the younger set.

"The other night I was in a real family restaurant; there was a fight going on at every table." -- George Carlin.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
The 'Uniform' that I wear for table-hopping, serves it's purpose quite well. Although my style of magic is laced with a touch of humor, most of my effects are of a serious nature (not BIZZARE mind you, just more on the serious edge vs the comdedy edge.)

I wear a black suit (by Jack Victor, which my tailor has added extra pockets and such), and either a black, crew neck T-shirt, or a dark purple crew-neck T-shirt, with a very dark purple pocket silk, casually stuffed into the breast pocket of the suit coat.

This 'uniform' if you will, covers the different atmospheres of restaurants that I perform in. It dresses up extrememly well, for the more formal types, and looks appropriate for the casual styles of restaurants.

I ALWAYS perform with my sleeves rolled to the elbows (something I learned from Brian Gillis). This 'look' or 'package' sets me apart from the wait and host staff.

This 'look' also helps set the stage for the guests to SEE that I am a magical entertainer, and that I am there to entertain them. I don't wear the black because it evokes 'mystery' and intrigue (although if the guests want to think so, that's fine), I wear the black because it is the best color to wear for nearly all occassions, and it's quite elegant, without being 'Black Tie'.

Please keep in mind, my 'look' is designed to co-inside with my performance style and personality. MUCH thought went into the choice of the clothes that I perform in. Everything I do with my magic, every gesture, every patter line, and even the
'uniform' has a specific purpose (even if the audience is un-aware of that purpose).

It all blends together, to make that
'entertainment' package.

Hope this helps with some of your questions.
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Adults and Kids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL