The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bob Kohler's Ultimate 3 Fly (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I don't think it's at all difficult to ditch an extra coin after the effect, unless it's the only one you perform at a given time. I would not perform a three fly as just one trick for someone, I would follow it with something else, which is the way I always perform it. I follow it with a quick "in the hands" coins across that the coins do "for extra credit." One way would be to "produce" the extra coin from your pocket and go into a matrix or something. Or you could simply put the coins away and do a card trick. Or you ditch it a hundred other logical ways.
You could even ditch a gimmick in similar ways.
But I have a feeling if I spent a lot of money on a gimmick like the Kohler one, I would say to myself, "why did I just spend all this money when I do three fly anyway?" Nothing personal, Mr. Kohler.
Which is to say I agree with learning non gaffed ways of doing three fly before plunking down a bunch of money on something.
But then, having said that, Lee Asher's Three Styin' is well worth learning. It does not require a gaff and it's fun.

And---Mr. Townsends three point direction(for lack of a better description)is well worth studying.

Ok, I'll shut up now.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Ok so I just bought a gently used set of U3f. I had the money and always wanted one. I do a passable version of Kenner's routine. I am learning that the "too perfect" problem is a lttle bit of an issue making the coins supect even after the have been examined. I am working on the timing and the "moments" of magic to try and diffuse this issue.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Sounds like you're having fun. You'll do great.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Shouldn't this thread be in the trick coin trickery forum?
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
If you're really interested in obtaining one, I have a set from the original run made by Todd Lassen. It comes with the video tape and I still have the letter from Bob Kohler that I'll send along as well. Never thought I'd sell it but need some cash right now. Will let it go for $400.00 postpaid. Paypal only please and only to the continental US.
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
If you can get your hands on a U3F tape as I have done using great perseverance, there is a quite economical way to do the effect. Joe Mogar is selling his "Magical Morgans" for $10 each and a magnetic Magical Morgan Slippery Sam for $90 with a 100% money back guarantee. SO you can pick up the necessary components of the effect for a total of $110. If you go to the Café forum on Joe's Magical Morgans, you will find your fellow Café members heaping nothing but praise on Joe's coins. WIth his track record on thimbles and knives, it seems only fitting that he would produce superb gaffed coins.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I have Bob's original 3 fly and it's great stuff, but having said that I also have Chastain's Phyle...same effect but different.
Both will slay an audience....Chastain makes his coins in Kennedy Halves, Copper English pennies and the new Chinese coins...
Both work great but you still need to do the practice to do them justice...
Bill
Chrishue
View Profile
New user
NYC
62 Posts

Profile of Chrishue
What ever happened with U3F2? Any news if it's still coming out?
TheBestMagician
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of TheBestMagician
Quote:
On 2011-06-09 22:40, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
This is a great gaff. However, is it really worth spending hundreds of dollars on a gaff when there are SO MANY non gaff three fly routines out there?

It depends I guess. If you want to produce a very clean ending for the last troublesome coin, then yes. If you are happy knowing that your audience are thinking "Gosh, isn't he hiding that extra coin cleverly, then no.

Sleights are essential to coin magic. However, without a gaff, most coin magic can be reduced to "hiding a coin in a clever way". With the addition of a gaff, you get what is close to real magic.

I own U3F and there is no way on earth I would even consider doing a non-gaffed version of it. The last coin is just clumsy and ugly without a gaff.
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 13:42, TheBestMagician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-09 22:40, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
This is a great gaff. However, is it really worth spending hundreds of dollars on a gaff when there are SO MANY non gaff three fly routines out there?

It depends I guess. If you want to produce a very clean ending for the last troublesome coin, then yes. If you are happy knowing that your audience are thinking "Gosh, isn't he hiding that extra coin cleverly, then no.

Sleights are essential to coin magic. However, without a gaff, most coin magic can be reduced to "hiding a coin in a clever way". With the addition of a gaff, you get what is close to real magic.

I own U3F and there is no way on earth I would even consider doing a non-gaffed version of it. The last coin is just clumsy and ugly without a gaff.

I also have U3F, and absolutely agree that a non-gaffed version just doesn't measure up. You take 3 coins(U3F) from your pocket and can pass them out for inspection if you wish. All 3 coins pass one at a time from your left hand to the right. You drop the coins one at a time from your right hand into your left. Its clear to everyone that there are only 3 coins! How can you you beat that?

Rick
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I notice Marion Boykin in a previos posting discussing 3 Fly while making no mention of his own very impressive version of it called My Fly. You can see it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTF04vddfo. It takes a decent set of chops to master Marion's version, but even if you fail to do so you will pick up some fine techniques in the process.

Besides being a great coin manipulator, Marion is an excellent teacher. WHen you consider that he is a one man production company, his videos are top quality items that often include a glimpse of him approaching the camera to shut it off.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Resurrecting this thread...

Is Eric Mead's performance in this clip starting at 5:40 the complete Kohler U3F routine, or is it Mead's variation of Kohler's routine?

https://youtu.be/Zg0AoCXxwBs?si=B8kx62XNhdDLJSAa
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2024, GJo wrote:
Resurrecting this thread...

Is Eric Mead's performance in this clip starting at 5:40 the complete Kohler U3F routine, or is it Mead's variation of Kohler's routine?

https://youtu.be/Zg0AoCXxwBs?si=B8kx62XNhdDLJSAa

Pretty sure it’s the complete routine. Have been using it since I got the set when Kohler first started selling them.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2024, NicholasD25 wrote:
Pretty sure it’s the complete routine.

That's good to know. Thanks.
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
I only have the coins (buy on second hand) but not the video…..where can I find it?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2024, magojose |wrote:
I only have the coins (buy on second hand) but not the video…..where can I find it?

Contact Bob Kohler.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Has anyone added teflon to the U3F gaff?

If so, do you prefer it with teflon or without, and why?
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2024, GJo wrote:
Has anyone added teflon to the U3F gaff?

If so, do you prefer it with teflon or without, and why?

I bought 3 Morgan Dollars with the Magnetic Locking Sliding Shell from Auke van Dokkum a few years ago.
The shell was already coated with teflon. I find Auke's Magnetic Locking Sliding Shell much better than Todd's U3F gaff.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2024, dj wrote:

I bought 3 Morgan Dollars with the Magnetic Locking Sliding Shell from Auke van Dokkum a few years ago.
The shell was already coated with teflon. I find Auke's Magnetic Locking Sliding Shell much better than Todd's U3F gaff.

Interesting anecdote.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Bob Kohler's Ultimate 3 Fly (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL