The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Unicycle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M&M Magic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of M&M Magic
Hello.... I have a unicycle that I have tried MULTIPLE times to ride. I fail every time. What is the best way to start out?
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Well, I haven't ridden a unicycle in years, and was never terribly proficient with it, but I found when I was learning that a few turning points were when I realized how important the swivel of the hips are in keeping your balance and in turning. Also remember that your center of gravity is essentially the same as when you're standing, and when you want to move forward or backward it just takes a very slight lean forward while you pedal just fast enough so you don't fall over.
The other thing you should learn soon is a standing mount, because practice is a lot less frustrating when you don't have to park against a wall just to get on the unicycle.

Beyond that just remember it takes ALOT of practice to get any good. It's not something most people just pick up and ride, it takes dedication to get past that first hump of being able to ride without immediately falling over.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Try it in a hallway. Touch both walls to keep yourself up. Move the pedals back and forth just a little at first to get the feel of the unicycle under you. Try to lean just a tiny bit and then move the pedals so the unicycle is under you again. All the while touching the walls.

Eventually you will have an aha moment where you subconciously "get it". You can then continue to make bigger and bigger motions until you find you are riding.

Good Luck.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
Also, try on a reasonably hard surface, grass makes things more difficult than they need to be. Concrete, although it will hurt more, is generally better.

prestopresto has a good suggestion too. Once you get vaguely comfortable with that, ditch the wall at least a few times and just move away from a wall or something. Unicycling takes a lot of effort to get started with, but once I got the length of a netball/basketball court consistently, it became a case of falling off due to other things, like cracks and bumps and people rather than not being able to ride.

Good luck. Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You can also practice by having a person hold your hand as they walk the pace you are riding. A person should be on each side of you.

When you get past the stage of walking against a wall or with someone else take another step up. Start off 10 feet in front of a wall. Ride yourself towards the wall moving your fastest pace. Use your hands and arms as shock absorbers as you come to the wall. Extend the distance more and more until you are able to ride it normally.
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
If I can make a slightly different suggestion, it would be that you hold onto them, ideally as lightly as possible. But either way works.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Also, make sure the seat height is right for your legs. If your legs are too extended or bunched up it can greatly affect your ability to find your balance. What MagicJuggler said about the hips and balance is correct, and one thing having your seat too low and your legs not extended enough will do is cause the unicyle to turn back and forth under you when you pedal. Also, distribute your weight, about 50 percent in the seat, 25 percent on each pedal.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Don't try it. Do it. Doing it takes much more time than trying it.

I learned between two cars in the driveway. Count your pedal rotations so you have goals to break. Depending on the person it shouldn't take you more than a couple of weeks to learn if you are doing it every day.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
- sit up straight
- keep weight on the peddals (not so muh on the saddle)
- look where you want to go (not down)
- make rythm in your peddaling (you can't peddal, rest, paddle etc like on a bicycle)
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
When I started unicycling at age 7, I started out riding through my hallway using the walls as support. It really helped me get the feel for it and the kind of movements it required. I would recommend giving this a try, as I learned very quickly using this method.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Unicycle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL