The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnson Chop Cup Cleaning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I have a Johnson chop cup I've had for quite a few years. It has a nice deep dull patina as I've never cleaned it. I want to get another chop cup to do a two cup routine. If I buy another new Johnson chop cup, can I clean the old one so it looks like the new one? It doesn't have any dings or dents so I'm not worried about that. What would be the best way to clean it. Or would it be easier to make the new cup match the old one and what's the best way to that?

Thanks,

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's a shame to lose all that patina that's developed over the years...

If you really want to do this, head to your nearest grocery store and by a tub of Wright's copper polish (used to clean copper bottom pans)It also works on brass, but not quite as quickly.

The patina will wipe away within seconds. It may have a sort of "frosted" appearance after stripping off the patina. You may want to do the same thing to your new cup so they match.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I would encourage you to give them the same treatment what ever you choose to do. Personally I'd take them both to buffing wheel but not everyone has the equipment to do so . I would use somthing like FLITZ over wright's but that's just my preference. I find that WRIGHT'S give the metal an odd look. But that's just me.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I agree with Dave… the Wright’s copper polish is the easiest and quickest stuff to use for a quick cleaning… then I follow it up with the FLITZ (thanks Dave for the recommendation years ago).

Using the Wright’s cream first saves some elbow grease than using FLITZ by itself… at least that is what I find.

I use this method all the time on my Johnson Cups, and then I will follow the treatment up with some wax.

Thanks,
Bruce
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Good, sounds doable, lol So what kinda of wax is best for shiny cups?
-Stevie D
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I use what's called Renaissance Wax but any good carnauba wax will do. What you're basically doing is stopping the patina from progressing once you have it where you want it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Waxes will certainly help preserve a nice finish, or a nice patina, and keep copper and brass from tarnishing for a short while, but the down side to using wax on your cups is that it makes them very slippery. If you just put them on display, then waxing is the way to go, but if you plan on handling them and using them for a routine, you better get a good grip, using your full hand, when you pick one up.
No way am I using a waxed cup for a routine. That would be like doing multiplying bottles on roller skates. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
SAY WHAT?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Johnson cups are (with a few exceptions) brass. Why wouldn't you use Brasso to polish them?
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Have you ever used Brasso? I think it's terrible.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Yep. I spent 3 years in the ARMY wearing class A uniform nearly every day. I polished a LOT of brass with Brasso! Why don't you like it Pete?
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For cups it wasn't close in speed or quality to Wenol or Wrights... Just me? In my Army days I used Brasso. Maybe Brasso has bad memories for me? Smile
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
I hate Brasso for the same reasons. There are plenty of other polishes on the market that work faster and produce a great shine. I'm using Maas almost exclusively now for copper and brass. But Brasso - I can't go back to that - I have the same bad memories from military service.
But, like Bruce said, keep in mind that Wrights is just a cleaner, not a polish. If you want to remove tarnish quickly and thoroughly, use Wrights first, but to polish, follow it with a good product designed to polish and protect.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What about TARN-X as a cleaner? then once polished an spray can clear epoxy worth a hoot?
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Wright's is great....or Simichrome.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have used many types of wax on my Cups; Renaissance wax and many auto waxes... I have never had a problem with them being slippery at all. But all of them need to be reapplied from time to time if they are used a lot. As Donnie wrote, I also have used wax to keep some patina right where I like it on some Cups... these are some shelf sitters.

I went through a BRASO phase... it works well but is very labor intensive. The Wright’s with a FLITZ follow-up is the best combo for me.

I have only used TARNEX once to take care of some spots on a set of PF Phoenix Cups... I used a procedure that Bill Palmer recommended. It took care of the Cups, but boy does the stuff stink.

Thanks,
Bruce
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
NEVR-DULL is what I use on all of my cups.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Contrary to what you might imagine, Renaissance Wax is not slippery.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnson Chop Cup Cleaning (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL