The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Eye of the Idol (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

willem
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of willem
I have the Eye of the Idol by Tomoyuki Shimomura but it just looks to much plastic to me would love to make it more bizarre what would you do?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Rod Whitlock, one of Paul Harris's frequent collaborators, used to have one at his shop long ago, that he used in his shows. He had found some kind of paint that looked like marble after it dried, and applied that to the pieces (I believe different colors). It looked pretty good...still not real...but not as fake as right out of the box.

It's another great effect from Tenyo that could probably work in the real world if it didn't look so cheap. Sometimes, I've demonstrated these tricks simply for what they are, explaining it was a mysterious toy from my youth...still don't know how it works...etc. Put it in an old box, and make the presentation mysterious.

You may also want to check the Tenyo forums for ideas.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
A thin coat of modelling/2 part epoxy may add texture and provide a better surface to paint upon...
I am not familliar with the props involved so I do not know if this is feasable due to weight..balance..etc..
But, its an idea..
Good Luck
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 10:38, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Rod Whitlock, one of Paul Harris's frequent collaborators, used to have one at his shop long ago, that he used in his shows. He had found some kind of paint that looked like marble after it dried,

You can buy the paint at Lowes. It's a textured spray paint.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
There's a thread about an modified and aged EotI in the Tenyo section, IIRC. Not sure though whether it had been altered or was only intended to...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
674 Posts

Profile of Bedford
I have a set of these I got a number of years ago - I painted my tiki head to look like stone, and the cover and platform with metallic copper paint. Looks pretty good. I don't use it much because the key is difficult to see in low light venues, which is where I perform, but it's an interesting show piece.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Eye of the Idol (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL