The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge ball size (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 14:00, Bill Palmer wrote:
Let me ask a parallel question.

What size shoes should I wear?

While MOST people can use 2 inch sponge balls without any problems, this is not true for everyone. If you have trouble with 2 inch sponge balls, get 1.5 inch balls.

BTW, they don't HAVE to be balls. Look at "And Then There Were Four" by Goshman.

Thank you Bill! That is why I alway recommend starting with the 1.5 inch balls because as you pointed out, not everyone can use 2 inch balls without issues.

As far as non-ball solutions - anyone remember the classic Don Alan Benson Bowl routine? It used square sponges and I have heard that he even used them for other sponge ball work in place of actual balls. Like the Alan sponges, 'And Then There Were Four' are also squares, and they have the added bonus of not rolling all over the place, or off the table.

Sponge rabbits can also do the same things a sponge ball/square can do. For that matter (and to some it may be a little ridiculous) but the soft yellow or orange earplugs can even be a good substitution. Jay Sankey also marketed a routine using the earplugs.

And Bill: You should wear a 2" super soft shoe. Smile Smile
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Steve Dacri talks about this issue on L & L world's greatest sponge ball magic.

Start with 2, then move to 2.5 for more impact or to play a larger room. But the sleights are more difficult.

There are benson bowl segments on this DVD with Johnny Thompson and Frank Garcia.
8thking
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of 8thking
Know what? I have seen so many magicians using grotty balls that are old smelly and tired.

Instead of asking what size and color I would say make sure you wash them and always work with damp puffed up balls too.
Jesus is alive:
Living proof you can’t keep a God man down
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Also be sure that once you have washed them and wrung them out thoroughly, you keep the colors separated because they are not color-fast, and the colors will rub off on one another.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I regfularly perform a routine that has me loading first two and then three super soft 2" in kids hands. Whilst a little remains visible it is not obvious that there are too many sponges in their hand. So I would say that even 2" are ok for small hands.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
A couple of pointers for beginners. Buy two sets the same size and colour at a time on the basis that you are going to lose a few sponge balls along the way, and will need replacements. I use sponges just a little, and I've lost about 4 of them. The most common fault for me is after using them on the street and having them still in my pocket, I forget to take them out and store them in a plastic bag in my street bag. Left in my pocket and forgotten about for 1/4 or 1/2 hour, its so easy to have them jump or drop out or get pulled out by mistake. Hey, just this afternoon I was partway through rehearsing a sponge ball routine at home when I knocked off and went outside. Later in the day I put my hand into my pocket and found I had sponge balls there, and one was missing. I retraced my movements and found the missing red spongeball sitting on the grass where I had been sawing fire wood, wet from the rain. So, store your sponge balls away when you've finished losing them.

I have also read that it pays to get two sets of the same size and colour at a time, since the dye colour batches may vary from one batch to another, and replacement balls otherwise not be the same shade.
The presentation makes the magic.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Oh, a Freudian slip. I meant "store them away when you've finished USING them." It's me that does the losing of them!
The presentation makes the magic.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hey, thanks for this topic! I've decided 2" Supersofts from Goshman to be the choice. Great advice Pete, and much appreciated! The simplest effects are by far the best...Penguin, I see has the best price!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge ball size (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL