The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Seattle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I might be moving to Seattle soon and was wondering about the busking scene there. Permits/spots/weather?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I hear that the State plant in Washinton is "Mold", and the state bird is the flying fish. <start rimshot> </end rimshot>

Well let's just say that whenever I was there, it rained a LOT! I used to do a lot of business with Microsoft Corporate in Belleview and it always rained, and they would always say, you should have been here yesterday, "it was bright and sunny". But I once stayed for week, and never did see the sun! And I hear that if the sun ever does come out, people there just stand looking up, asking; "What is that large bright light up in the sky?"

But people there seem pretty used to it, so maybe you could busk with an umbrella Smile

Good luck!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Bro David,

Not sure your Chamber of Commerce post was much help in answering King's question. Sorry you were unable to enjoy any of you time here. Mark Twain didn't like it either.

Kingstardog,

Although not a busker myself, I do know several. I'm not sure about permits, but there has never been any discussion that it is a problem. There are several spots around town that busking occurs. I do know one guy that made his living doing street magic. (He has since been able to do magic as supplementary income as opposed to primary income.)

Weather is an issue no matter where you are. The rain in Seattle is generally of the slow drizzly type. Rarely a "down pour". The natives are used to it. (You can tell a transplant ... they have an umbrella.)

If you busk in Seattle you will have to work at it. It is unlike the warm weather spots where larger crowds will gather year round. The summer is definitely the tourist season and your best bet.

Let us know if you make it up here.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The only place that you need a permit to work is at the Pike Place Market all other venues are pretty much fair game but I have seen buskers run off by the police for no reason.

Buskers are fairly rare here outside of the market and the Seattle Center. You will find many at our local festivals such as Folklife and Bumbershoot as well as the various street fairs held around the city.

Many of the good spots are event driven. Occidental Square before a sporting event, Pioneer Square the first Thursday evening of the month during Art Walk.

There is a spot in front of the Westlake Mall that I have seen the occasional Busker in and have heard that some of the parks offer good locations (at least by Seattle Standards).

When you get into town drop by Seattle Magic in Pioneer Square and talk to Tom Frank. He has busked here and can give you some pointers as to good locals to set up your pitch.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Thanks Payne, I appreciate the tips. I did live in Washington, before moving to CA, so I know the weather well. I heard from someone that there are a couple of full time performing venues there now. A bar and a regular illusion show. are they still running?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I don't know about the bar, but Stephan Soulles show Mysterian is still running at Illusionz Game Center in Issaquah.

Strolling Magicians are regular features at O'Donells 45th St. Bar and Grill in Everett. Also there is a free show every third Monday of the Month at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park and a Cabaret show, The Cabaret of Dr. Calagari every Third Sunday evening in Bell Town.

If you get into town by the 27 of September the Lynnwood Club is having a swap meet and lecture featuring Max Maven and Dirk Losander as well
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Thanks Payne,

Those sound like the two I was hearing about. Do you know much about the Pike place Market? Also is it hard to get permits and a spot to Set up?

Looks official now. Moving about the 15th of October.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
From my understanding it's quite easy to get a permit for the Market. the downside is the performance spots are really set up for music and theres a 30 minute or hour time limit to them.
Our Public radio station just ran a show on Buskers that I have yet to listen to. but you can here

http://kuow.org/weekday.asp?Archive=08-28

Drop me a line when you get into town
flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
Pikes market requires a (nominal fee) permit which is easy to get. Sites are not freindly to non-musicians, small and often at extreme slants. Also, Im told that you can get in trouble with overt hat lines. In other words say 'thank you if you have tipped' not 'please tip'. I saw buskers at the Seattle center with center permits, so I imagine they require them too. This includes the woodstock puppeteer, a long time feature in the venue. You can busk just about anywhere in Seattle and they wont shut you down. Theoretically, and Ive never been shut down in practice. But this is definitely a summer venue. I spent about a month in Seattle last year and less then a week this year, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Any busking on the eastside? (Bellevue side)

Was down on the waterfront on Sunday. A couple of vendors, and a girl who looked about ten with a flute.
The girl had a basket full of ones, but didn't play when we were there. There was also a guy with a stick and string. On the end of the string, he had a sign that said "Fishin' for Beer" and below that on the string was a cup nicely rigged together. A realy cute setup. I dropped him a couple bills for a high quality presentation. A little honesty goes a long way.

No magic going on.

Haven't had time to check out the market yet.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
So your in town now?
You never call, you never write.
Been to Tom's Place yet?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Yeah I know, the wife and dogs take up most of the time that I'm not dealing with my affliction/illness(job)

I do want to head down to Tom's and look over the goods as well as check in to the club meetings and get the street info.

I'm still unpacking and gathering my stuff up in one spot. I found a couple of extra boxes of magic stuff and have been going through that to get a fix.
Before and during the move, I was playing with my version of Whit's ESP survey, with cards that I printed on my PC. The big difference is that I am doing a real survey on a clipboard at the same time. Took in a couple bills, but burned it all moving. For anyone that wants to try it...It Works!!!

I realy want to get out and do some busking. I feel like its almost theraputic in a way, plus the smiling faces and spare coin doesn't hurt either.

I want come and see your act too, Payne. Just need to get settled more.
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Busking is Seattle is a year round thing. The market is great as well as other tourists spots. My magic shop is located in Pioneer Square. Some of the guys bang out some shows in front of the store on the weekends. Call me if you want. Seattle Magic 206 622-2757
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Had the flu going on last weekend, and the mother in law this weekend. By an odd coincedance my wife came home and told me about this magic shop in the down town that she saw, and asked me if I knew there was one there. I said yes, as a matter of fact someone had mentioned it and I was going to stop by pretty soon.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Seattle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL