The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I got Busted! How do You cover? :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Heywood
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Heywood
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 04:38, StuartNolan wrote:
"If I were real and I was accused of switching a billet, I would be puzzled by an accusation of trickery."

I don't mean this in any critical way or to be needlessly pedantic but rather in support of your argument but... Isn't this actually a form of cover, albeit a natural and subtle kind?

My audience never sees the puzzlement. They see a lack of reaction. Puzzled was offered as the confusion a true psy would react with. I know that. I feel that. I only show confidence. If I am wrong after-all, @#&! happens.

As for the 70%? If I could simply tell you what color underwear you are wearing at this moment, or I could tell you the exact words you spoke to your wife in bed last evening, would the remainder of my impersonal predictions and readings really matter? So, I get the amount of pocket change wrong, or I draw the Eiffel tower and the spectator draws a croissant, but then I divine the the exact question Mary is thinking to herself - and answer it... then only 33% of my work was dead on. What do they remember?? Applause is real.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 13:14, Heywood wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 04:38, StuartNolan wrote:
"If I were real and I was accused of switching a billet, I would be puzzled by an accusation of trickery."

I don't mean this in any critical way or to be needlessly pedantic but rather in support of your argument but... Isn't this actually a form of cover, albeit a natural and subtle kind?

My audience never sees the puzzlement. They see a lack of reaction. Puzzled was offered as the confusion a true psy would react with. I know that. I feel that. I only show confidence. If I am wrong after-all, @#&! happens.

Oh, I actually liked the idea of showing some puzzlement :-(

As to the 70%, I hear that on one of Chan Canasta's TV shows he attempted 6 experiments and only 1 of them worked. The audience loved it apparently.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Heywood-

The other night a guy in the audience was giving me problems. I called out your full name and that took care of it. It's downright amazing!

Best-

Bob
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Love ya or hate ya, hopefully you will know before you close the show. Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
By 60 seconds into your show, you better get a good idea or it won't matter if you perform all your effects at 100% - the audience engagement is key to all

Even Cirque du Soliel, I believe they incorporate a few screw ups about 1/5 into the show just to heighten the tension... but then they deliver at close to 99.9999% after... you want them rooting for you, not showing a boring piece of perfection - better also to switch all the "power" into the specs as then if you "screw up" you didn't... they did Smile... but you can help them with some coaching etc.

Most screwups are not really a problem as once you get into the vibe, you just roll in whatever direction the situation requires... being in control of facillitation is what the audience wants... not to become a boring performer who is perfect... perfection is borrrrrriiinng and also brings out all sorts of attacks.

Praise imperfection. Work it in if you have too... but most of us know its natural so we don't have too
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I do an ACAAN where I'm wrong 51 times out of 52. (on average)

Just a question of when I start selling it?
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Now I fully agree with having a few misses as that does play better and it does help get it away from looking like a trick and more human.

BUT (To play Devil's advocate) when we claim that it is not an exact science to the audience, why is it that so? If I could read minds and talk to the dead, then surely that is what I would do if that were really the case. All my predictions would be spot on, all minds would be read accurately and Spirits wouldn't mumble and give vague messages or only give clues of who they wanted to talk to by giving only one letter of the name. In fact this latter case of the spirit world is what sceptics in the audience pick up on to disprove the event. Why not so with Mind reading/general mentalism?

So basically from the audience point of view; if you claim to read minds or make predictions, why can you only do it some of the time?
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Superman without Kryptonite = Boring Stories
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-28 10:41, Shrubsole wrote:

So basically from the audience point of view; if you claim to read minds or make predictions, why can you only do it some of the time?

The problem is that your question invites an answer that starts a circular argument:

"Why can you only do it some of the time?"

"Because it's an imperfect ability?"

"Why is it an imperfect ability?"

"Because it is."

"But why?"

"I don't know. It is what it is."

"Why?"

etc., etc.

It all boils down to how you define what you are doing. (Why? Because.) But, as Stuart has noted, infallibility, like invulnerability, is ultimately boring.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-08-28 10:43, StuartNolan wrote:
Superman without Kryptonite = Boring Stories

Yes as I said it benefits us when things do go wrong and does provide for better 'theatrics' and a more entertaining show, even to the point that many of us (me included) will deliberately put a 'miss' in to achieve that; but what of the analytical logic thinkers in the audience?

The example I gave was that in a 'spirit' type show the main give away to sceptics is that all these ghosts seem to mumble and be vague. Why would they do that? If someone could really speak to the dead then why not a straight direct full conversation? And then does that translate across to other forms of mentalism? Why can't that mind reader who claims to be able to read minds tell me what colour my underpants are?

I can fully understand why we use it, but what of the audiences point of view and particularly that of the sceptical audience member?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Why would ghosts mumble and be vague?

Maybe because most people don't get smarter just because they're dead. They were probably just as annoying when they were alive.

:eek:
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Because we see through a glass, darkly?

Or whatever other framework you choose to erect. This is theater, darlin'.

Mentalism isn't an entirely representational art (magic even less so) and part of the fun, for me at least, is that it can be whatever I say it is provided I can take my audience with me. If I'd wanted to create accurate recordings of "reality" I'd have taken up documentary photography.

I'm just popping out to renew my artistic license Smile

s
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I got Busted! How do You cover? :) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL