The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing in jeans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
http://bradross.com/

Enough said! In my opinion if it fits you, looks good and you are comfortable and do a good job at entertaining then wear whatever the hell you want. Brad Ross (Disney performer) wears jeans so I guess it is acceptable.

As for the ball cap, I guess you are right but why would the change cap sell so well?
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Brad Ross? That name sounds familiar. I swear that is the fellow who keeps sending me e-mails explaining how I can be as rich and successful as he is providing I give him pots of money to help him along.

However, we are not talking about any other situation except children's shows in schools, birthday parties, libraries, day cares etc;

Wearing jeans is not acceptable in these circumstances. That should be common sense and I have no idea why the idea is even being discussed.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Sure it is, Mark. Jeans are perfectly acceptable. But then again, coming from a country where judges still wear wigs, I guess I can understand why you still stand on formalities.

I get glowing endorsements and recommendations and I often wear jeans. I performed every library show this year in jeans, and people love me! Welcome to the 21st century.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
How utterly horrendous, my boy. You really have a lot to learn. Jeans indeed...............

As for our legal system it is far superior to the American one. We have the sub judice rule. There. I can speak Latin too.

And for all I know judges wear jeans in American courtrooms. It wouldn't surprise me, I must say.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I love when I walk into a party and a child says "Look Mom! A REAL magician!" I feel they are stating the difference between magicians they have seen performing in jeans or a sweater, looking like a normal person doing tricks. Nobody has stated on this thread that you can't be entertaining wearing jeans. Its just that if you're charging big bucks for parties, libraries, schools etc. I feel that you should represent yourself a little more formal. Just my opinion.

REAL men don't eat Quiche. REAL magicians don't wear jeans . . . .
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Agreed, Tommy. David Baline and Cris Angel wear jeans...but they are STREET magicians. I believe a children's performer needs to dress the part: Slacks, shirt and vest (that's my style), clown costume (for those that perorm as a character), etc.

Just my two cents.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
It seems to be a recurring theme in much of entertainment....... I just saw a headlining comedian at a theatre w/ a wrinkled shirt....... really $50 a ticket and you can't take an iron to that thing. And it wasn't Larry the cable guy
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Toe the line! Straighten up! CONFORM!!!!! Let's all be the same, act the same, look the same! If you don't perform in the (British, American, German, Japanese, take your pick) way, you are not doing it right! And if you choose to dress in a manner that suits you, you are WRONG!!!!!!!! Face the facts!

Watsamatta you? You're being DIFFERENT? You are doing things your OWN WAY?! CONFORM!! Let's all dress the same! THAT should be the ultimate goal of magic!

Too bad Rod Serling is dead. This thread seems like a great concept for a Twilight Zone episode (The Stepford Magicians?)
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Dearie me! The poor chap seems to be in a tizzy. Someone should calm him down and treat him to a decent pair of trousers.
I do wish Jolly Roger was here and he could teach Starrpower how to wear a green dress. It would improve his show immensely.
And to change topic slightly I really think it is about time Roger was allowed back. If I am allowed to be let loose I think Roger should be too. He is quite harmless and far more polite than I am.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Mark, I agree with you on both counts. JR could really add to our discussions, unless he is going to advocate wearing a green dress. Smile

Starpower, You are obviously successful wearing jeans. That’s great, I admire you. You’re in good company. Bruce Springsteen makes millions wearing jeans a tee shirt. I just think for the average kid show guy wanting to be a success, the odds are much better if you dress up a little. That would be the best chance of getting repeat business and referrals, IMHO.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I wear jeans, black boots, red dress shirt, black vest and a black fedora hat. I have been complimented many times. I keep myself in tip top shape and like to think of myself as hip. To me the magic happens when you connect with the children. If you can do this you will get the repeat shows. Now there is a recipe for success; find someone that is getting the results that you want, do what they do and you should get the same results. I think Ken is an awesome entertainer and does a lot of shows. I think that he is a model for those to follow. I know that Tommy and many others wear black slacks, a dress shirt and a colorful vest just like Ken. There is nothing wrong with this but to me I need to feel comfortable when I perform it just makes me feel looser and I think that I am not as formal as others as I am there to be their friend. Do a good job and you will get more work. Do a crappy job and it really doesn't matter what you wear. To each their own.

Patrick
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
That was very nice. Thank you, Patrick.

It has also occurred to me that I have a friend who does many inner city school assemblies, including High Schools. He wears jeans and sneakers! High school is especially difficult in the inner city. His strategy is to be one of them and get them on his side. It works very well for him.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I did a festival last year and it set me thinking. I performed opposite a double-act that did one show twice during the day. I did two unique shows (and could have done a third). I got E270. They got E600. They weren't twice as good as me. Being honest I believe I was the better act. Yet they are worth twice me. Why?

One thing they had was they looked great - a lot of though went into costume. I play a character, and I like my costume. But theirs was better. A month later I did a street festival with the same guys, and I wore a white tux and white bowler. And another festival booked me on the spot - before I did my show. They loved my costume.

There is a lesson there. It is a pity I am too pig-headed to learn it. Maybe some day.

The issue doesn't seem to be whether or not we should wear jeans. The issue should be that we look our best and look appropriate for the job - and if that involves jeans, so be it. If it involves a tux, a wizard outfit, or a green dress, that is fine too. Just as long as it is thought out, and looks good on us.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Tony, I would imagine they got twice as much money as you because there were two of them. Double acts always get a little more.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Eeeemmm....I wear Blue Jeans, Red T-shirt,Dress long sleeve buttons Shirt open ( Hi Cooperfield !! ) and Red Shoes, I feel comfortable and NEVER a parent ask about it!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 18:27, TonyB2009 wrote:

The issue doesn't seem to be whether or not we should wear jeans. The issue should be that we look our best and look appropriate for the job - and if that involves jeans, so be it. If it involves a tux, a wizard outfit, or a green dress, that is fine too. Just as long as it is thought out, and looks good on us.

I think you may get double if you wear a green dress.
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Tommy.... are you talking about me... I cant help but think you are talking about me... Smile

I do wear jeans but I also wear a blue bowling/racing shirt with my logo on it..... not a tshirt (which I WOULD NOT look good in)

I must admit that I have been toying with going back to black slacks though. I used to where a vest and I do like them as they are comfortable but others in my area where them too. I just wanted to do something different.

Tommy, will you still like me if I wear jeans... Smile AND a really nice, expensive pair of shoes.....?

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Dorian, I can assure you I wasn't talking about you. I saw a video of a guy performing at a formal event on you tube. It looked like a first communion. Everyone was dressed up, except the magician who was in ripped jeans and a shirt. It just didn't look right.

When I went up against you in the competition last year, you had jeans on. But THAT was what I considered an outfit. You came out to the music of Sanford and Son with a trash barrel in the middle of the stage. You had patches on your jeans. It all fit with what you were doing. You had that "hobo" look to you etc.

I'm talking about children's magicians who don't give a crap what they look like at a party and walk in in what they woke up in.

Patrick confesses to wearing jeans but he follows it up with a red dress shirt and a vest and hat etc. I can respect that. But to look like Uncle Joe doing magic tricks at a party just doesn't represent our art well.

Just my opinion, for what its worth Smile See you at Kidabra Dorian! I consider you a great friend.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Oh Tommy.....

Please don't think I was being serious with my post.... I was just having some fun with you.... lol

And yes... I look forward to seeing you at Kidabra as well.... you vest wearing, slack wearing kid show genius you....

See you soon,
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing in jeans (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL