The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Ringmaster by David Jay, Reviewed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
The Ringmaster by David Jay, Reviewed

First and foremost, this is a good solid effect. If you want to do an improvisational effect with your (or someone else’s) finger ring, buy this DVD and you will not be disappointed!

The effect is simple a ring is removed from your ring finger of either hand and vanishes only to appear back on your finger.

The ring also jumps from the ring finger of one hand to the ring finger of the opposite hand (with no cover), produces an eight ball and an audience member’s ring links with a locked padlock.

The DVD has 6 parts each with 2 sections (performance and explanation).

INTRODUCTION:
In the introduction David Jay and Craig Petty explain everything you need to have in order to do the effects on the DVD. (David Penn works the camera and chimes in from time to time.) David Jay clearly explains how to pick the correct size ring, so you may want to watch the DVD before running out and buying a ring. Sabrina Silver on Amazon.com sells stainless steel rings in full and half sizes for $4.99 ($10.00 with shipping).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D40......oduct_T2
David also suggests using a black Wizard PK magnetic or non-magnetic ring. The black ring may be more visible when it appears and may flash less in one part of the routine (when the ring jumps from one ring finger to the other).

SMOKE RING:
This is a little intro bit that is self-working. After seeing it, I immediately wrote it off, but people really seem to like it. It makes a nice intro to “Ring Thing” as a way of getting a ring onto your index finger.

THE RINGMASTER ROUTINE:
This routine has three phases: In the opening phase, the ring is removed from the ring finger & jumps from the palm of your hand to back onto your ring finger. While this looks really cool, it may tip the method of the effect. I am leaving this phase out, but you will have to decide for yourself. In the second phase the ring is again removed from the ring finger, vanishes and returns. In the third and final phase, the ring is removed from the ring finger, vanishes and appears back again, but this time your fist is closed! This not only looks great but can be done surrounded.

RING FINISH:
This is a finishing phase that can be added to any finger ring routine. In this effect, an eight ball is apparently produced from inside of a finger ring. To magicians, this will not be earth shattering, but I think that spectators will love it and as Craig points out, it gives the ring routine a strong finish that many ring routines lack. I bought a ball dropper and I am going to do this. You do not need a ball dropper, but since you can get one for $1.50, why not? World Magic Shop provides a free eight ball with the purchase of the DVD.

RING FINGER:
In this routine, a ring jumps from the ring finger of one hand to the ring finger of the other hand with no cover. It looks great and may take a little work to master and to keep the ring from flashing. I am practicing this move very chance I get!

RING LOCK:
In this routine a spectator’s ring magically links to a locked padlock. This is a nice routine and David explains two methods (I like the second one better). David also provides you with a nice convincer and explains how to give away the padlocks and even where you should buy them.

JAY HOLDOUT:
I did not really care for this routine and I am not certain of how practical it is, but if you like thimble routines, I feel that you will really like this.

SHRINKING EIGHT BALL BONUS:
I really did not care for this and it just seems like a variation of a toss vanish, but hey, it is a bonus.

WHAT I AM DOING WITH THIS:
I am currently doing the ringmaster routine, but I have replaced the first phase with “Ring Thing” getting into it with “Smoke Ring.” I will eventually add the eight ball production. I have the ring appear on my ring finger and as it does it clinks against my wedding band. People really like this audible “clink” when the ring appears. I asked a few folks and they seem to like it better than the “Ring Thing.” After two weeks, I have already gotten my monies worth!

OVERALL:
The DVD is easy to navigate and the teaching is thorough without being overly long or boring. Craig adds to the DVD by slowing David down which, at times, is necessary. Craig does a little too much David worshiping for my taste, but you have to admit the guy is cool! I would have liked to seen the ringmaster routine done for a live audience, but that is nit picking.

Professionals and hobbyists alike can avoid coming up empty when someone asks, “Hey show me something?” by learning these routines. For a part-time performer turned hobbyists like myself, this DVD is pure gold!

You will not be amazed by really cool methods or find any “magician foolers” on this DVD (except for Ring Finger), but you will end up with an impromptu routine that lay people will love. If you want to do miracles with finger rings, get this DVD!
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Thx for the review. THe DVD is execellent.
One more note. You need a loose ring to achieve the effects.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 20:30, asherfox wrote:
Thx for the review. THe DVD is execellent.
One more note. You need a loose ring to achieve the effects.

I guess so, but he thoroughly explains how to get the correct size ring or how to borrow the right size ring. The effect is done on one finger but worn on another. In short you do not need to walk around wearing a loose ring.
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Ok, one more note.
You need a loose ring to practice the effects. XD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Ringmaster by David Jay, Reviewed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL