The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » General Practicing Tips and Guidelines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 12:26, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 21:02, General_Magician wrote:
The Trick Brain definitely looks awesome. I think every magician eventually needs to create their own effects. Thanks for the recommendation Bill.

What is your favorite effect?

Prohibition. I use a small 8 oz glass Diet Coke bottle (sometimes I drink diet Coke though I try to stay away from sodas) instead of a beer bottle. The 8 oz glass Diet Coke bottle is ideal for this effect in my experience.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Thought I posted this but don't see it: Fitzkee Trilogy is available on Amazon for Kindle for only $10 a book. I downloaded the Trick Brain sample to my Ipad last night and it is a very good kindle version.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-02 15:21, BillMcCloskey wrote:
Thought I posted this but don't see it: Fitzkee Trilogy is available on Amazon for Kindle for only $10 a book. I downloaded the Trick Brain sample to my Ipad last night and it is a very good kindle version.

Yeah, I saw that on Amazon. Cheaper price than some of the magic dealers.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 14:58, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 12:26, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 21:02, General_Magician wrote:
The Trick Brain definitely looks awesome. I think every magician eventually needs to create their own effects. Thanks for the recommendation Bill.

What is your favorite effect?

Prohibition. I use a small 8 oz glass Diet Coke bottle (sometimes I drink diet Coke though I try to stay away from sodas) instead of a beer bottle. The 8 oz glass Diet Coke bottle is ideal for this effect in my experience.

Prohibition is not (by Fitzkee's definition) an effect. It's a trick. The effect is "a penetration." Before you take issue with this, read The Trick Brain. Also read, if you can find it, Roger Klause in Concert. For decades, budding magicians have been told by their teachers or by pedantically written books that hookers and dogs do tricks, magicians do "effects." The use of the term "effect" to describe what we do is affected.

This idea of not calling tricks tricks was used to discourage beginning magicians from using the term trick in front of laymen. However, in the world of magic, itself, effect has a very specific meaning. Klause had 7 basic effects. Fitzkee had 19. When you combine an effect with a specific object or group of objects, then it becomes a trick.

Now, this doesn't mean that you should call Prohibition a trick in front of a spectator. You can call it a piece of magic, a number, an item, an experiment or you can call it "something interesting" (hopefully, you can present it in an intersting manner! Smile )

When you call a trick an effect (in front of a spectator), it sets up a mental disconnect that can harm the interpretation of your performance. What's an effect (to a layman)? Is it what they see exposed when ILM shows how they got certain things to happen in some of their movies?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
^ What he said.

I always equated "effect" with the ultimate effect on the audience. If I do a comedy routine, and they laugh, the effect is "laughter" not what I did to get them to laugh.

I try not to describe to any audience what I'm about to do as "trick", "effect" or any other word for that matter.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Bill Palmer wrote:

Prohibition is not (by Fitzkee's definition) an effect. It's a trick. The effect is "a penetration." Before you take issue with this, read The Trick Brain. Also read, if you can find it, Roger Klause in Concert. For decades, budding magicians have been told by their teachers or by pedantically written books that hookers and dogs do tricks, magicians do "effects." The use of the term "effect" to describe what we do is affected.

This idea of not calling tricks tricks was used to discourage beginning magicians from using the term trick in front of laymen. However, in the world of magic, itself, effect has a very specific meaning. Klause had 7 basic effects. Fitzkee had 19. When you combine an effect with a specific object or group of objects, then it becomes a trick.

Now, this doesn't mean that you should call Prohibition a trick in front of a spectator. You can call it a piece of magic, a number, an item, an experiment or you can call it "something interesting" (hopefully, you can present it in an intersting manner! )

When you call a trick an effect (in front of a spectator), it sets up a mental disconnect that can harm the interpretation of your performance. What's an effect (to a layman)? Is it what they see exposed when ILM shows how they got certain things to happen in some of their movies?

Thanks Bill! I am still a newbie pro with a lot to learn. I am looking forward to reading Fitzkee's trilogy and learning from his books. Usually, when I present "Prohibition" I start out by saying something like "here is something kinda strange..."

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's okay. I do understand it. In fact, it's a very common problem. And I see that you understand that I'm not trying to "swat" you, no matter what my nickname is. (BTW, that's not self-conferred!)

These things become ingrained into our speech/writing patterns, so much that we don't think about what we are saying.

There are certain phrases/expressions that magicians use without realizing what they actually mean. These can cause the kind of mental disconnect I referred to previously.

For example, I've seen magicians say things like "And now, The AMAZING Square Circle!" Then they bring out a square tube and a round tube and produce a bunch of scarves from it.

Read this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=171&1
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Wowie zowie this is one of those threads that has some real "meat" to it!

The kind I print out and save, highlight, and read again and again.

This forum is pure gold due to the generosity of it's contributors...and it's generally the same folks sharing the fruit of their years of experience again and again. Unbelievable!

Thanks "General_Magician" for starting the ball rolling on this one.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the advantages of thinking in terms of "effects" being the basic categories of magic is that you can see when an act is in danger of becoming all productions or all vanishes or all any other single effect. Also, you learn how to combine effects to create routines. And that's another subject.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Don't forget to practice talking with people. I can't tell you how many technically amazing magicians I have seen that just can't "talk". Trust me, learning to talk with people is FAR more important than perfecting an invisible pass, or the vernon wand spin.

-Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » General Practicing Tips and Guidelines (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL