The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Labor Day without Jerry Lewis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-08-25 09:53, landmark wrote:
There are those involved with various rights groups who are not fans. I don't know enough about the issues to have an opinion. This blog post refers to some of them:
http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/j......bor-day/

An interesting read, and the comments below are also worth a gander.

Here's the message I got from it all: Jerry is old school and hasn't caught up with the way that people with disabilities wish to see themselves these days. For Jerry, the key to "getting the money" is to invoke pity for those poor, suffering cripples whose lives basically aren't worth living. The author of the article, on the other hand, would like the focus to be on raising money to help those have richer, fuller lives.

I think it's a good point, and one worth making. I'm not sure how fair it is to Jerry, however, considering that he is 85-year-old (and unlikely, as most 85-year-olds probably are, to have a sea change in how he understands his own legacy and what he still has to contribute.) Instead of throwing him on the pranger, thoughtful and dedicated people should be working to modernizing the MDA's image and message in a post-Jerry Lewis MDA--which would have come soon enough. If it's just this one last telethon, then what's the point of publicly humiliating an old man who has given so incredibly much to the organization?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
The telethon is I believe 45 years in its existance. Having said that in a time many many years ago people had their TV tuned to this from beginning to end. I remember saying this entertainer or that group is coming on soon. If I went over my friends house it was on and if we went to someone elses house it was on.

You obviously did not watch it for the full length but it was on. However there were not hundreds of channels to pick from and TV was a no cost deal after you purchased your TV and a bow tie. Today many people probably work a week or two to pay for their TV programs. Things change. You decide whether they change for the better or the worse. People change, techonology changes, ideals change, and this format is definitely old school and does not attract.

Remember Bert Parks and Miss America? As I said, things change.

I remember hearing the words are you going to watch the Jerry Lewis Telethon. One dollar more than last year...that is all they want.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
You captured it well, acesover.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
You know after 45 years of hosting anything you deserve a dignified send off. Did Jerry Lewis help the marathon? He was so intertwined with it you could NOT separate the two. I remember as a kid (as a kid mind you) watching Jerry start the show refreshed, full of energy and keeping things moving. I would stay up and watch as long as I could and most often dose off while watching. My folks would call down to me to shut the t.v. off and come up stairs to sleep. I'd wake up the next morning and turn the t.v. back on and there was Jerry, his jacket off and his tie undone and looking a little tired. As the day went on I'd go out and play ball, go to a movie and just goof off. I'd come home to my parents watching Jerry (STILL!!!) on the marathon. I remember thinking to myself---how in the world can he do that? This went on year after year after year. Yes they will get someone to fill in for him and that may last for a year or two --- possibly three and then someone else will take over for a period of time. But they will never find another Jerry Lewis. Year after year after year for 45 years! Just stop and think about that. That would mean he started in 1966. How many things do people remember from 1966 on? Yet everyone knows WHO did the marathons each year. Did he do it perfect? Could anyone have over 45 years? Were his statements maybe taken out of context? He loved and still loves these kids and adults with this horrible affliction. After 45 years he deserves a dignified send off for all the good he did. Heck he deserves that for just showing up all those years.

Good magic to all,

Eric
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Gumbini I really doubt that the M.D.A. Telethon will last another 3 years regardless of if Jerry was still with the M.D.A. or not. The telethon hasn't been the same as it use to be for quite awhile now. If there is a Telethon next year don't expect it to be back in 2013. It's already been shortened to a 6 hour telethon when it had been a 22 hour one for years.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 01:05, The great Gumbini wrote:
You know after 45 years of hosting anything you deserve a dignified send off. Did Jerry Lewis help the marathon? He was so intertwined with it you could NOT separate the two. I remember as a kid (as a kid mind you) watching Jerry start the show refreshed, full of energy and keeping things moving. I would stay up and watch as long as I could and most often dose off while watching. My folks would call down to me to shut the t.v. off and come up stairs to sleep. I'd wake up the next morning and turn the t.v. back on and there was Jerry, his jacket off and his tie undone and looking a little tired. As the day went on I'd go out and play ball, go to a movie and just goof off. I'd come home to my parents watching Jerry (STILL!!!) on the marathon. I remember thinking to myself---how in the world can he do that? This went on year after year after year. Yes they will get someone to fill in for him and that may last for a year or two --- possibly three and then someone else will take over for a period of time. But they will never find another Jerry Lewis. Year after year after year for 45 years! Just stop and think about that. That would mean he started in 1966. How many things do people remember from 1966 on? Yet everyone knows WHO did the marathons each year. Did he do it perfect? Could anyone have over 45 years? Were his statements maybe taken out of context? He loved and still loves these kids and adults with this horrible affliction. After 45 years he deserves a dignified send off for all the good he did. Heck he deserves that for just showing up all those years.

Good magic to all,

Eric

I'm with Eric on this one. It would have been a ratings booster for the 6 hrs to have Jerry make a goodbuy appearance on the show this year. I for one would have tuned in just for the the sentimental look back at some of the memories I had growing up with that show. If he officially passed his duties to someone else or another team it would have been a classier move than simply lock him out.

Best,

Tim
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Tim?

Hey, brother, when did you come back? It's great to see you here! Did you think you'd just quietly sneak back into the bar without anyone noticing?

Have a beer:

:stout:

Hey, everybody, let's drink one for Jerry Lewis and the return of Tim! It's on me:

:stout: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Why it is Tim. Glad to see you back!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 10:00, RS1963 wrote:

If there is a Telethon next year don't expect it to be back in 2013. It's already been shortened to a 6 hour telethon when it had been a 22 hour one for years.

I think it raised something like $59 million last year. (Which was pretty good, given the recession. It was still the 7th highest amount ever raised by the telethon.) If the shortened version raises significantly less than that, they could always return to the longer form next year.

OTOH now that the telethon has extended itself to Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and so on, and allows people to donate by texting, it may be that the longer televised form is no longer needed. Maybe a 6 hour televised show is enough (though the texting and twittering might still occur over an entire day).

I can't see them killing off a cash cow. My guess is that the televised telethon will continue in some form, shortened or not.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Welcome back, Tim
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Well..... many thanks for the kind words of welcome. Yes.. I am back after a long hiatus. Try as I might to antagonize Steve into banning me ( much harder than I thought..hehehehe ) his class in dealing with the matter inspired me to drop him a line via email. My phone rang shortly after and a 90 minute conversation led to a mutual understanding and friendship.

Ok.. enough of the " off topic" discussion. Smile

Thanks again.. glad to be back,

Tim
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 11:28, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 10:00, RS1963 wrote:

If there is a Telethon next year don't expect it to be back in 2013. It's already been shortened to a 6 hour telethon when it had been a 22 hour one for years.

I think it raised something like $59 million last year. (Which was pretty good, given the recession. It was still the 7th highest amount ever raised by the telethon.) If the shortened version raises significantly less than that, they could always return to the longer form next year.

OTOH now that the telethon has extended itself to Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and so on, and allows people to donate by texting, it may be that the longer televised form is no longer needed. Maybe a 6 hour televised show is enough (though the texting and twittering might still occur over an entire day).

I can't see them killing off a cash cow. My guess is that the televised telethon will continue in some form, shortened or not.

Lewis gone, but telethon brings in more than '10

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Even without Jerry Lewis, the Muscular Dystrophy Association telethon posted its best gain since the recession started, though the program's longtime host was on the minds of many during the 46th annual fundraiser.

"American Idol" executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said after co-hosting Sunday's program that he's sorry the famed comedian didn't participate, but the organization needs to move on to ensure the fundraiser continues.

The telethon raised nearly $61.5 million Sunday, an increase of about $2.6 million over last year, MDA officials said.

Lythgoe told The Associated Press minutes after the six-hour live broadcast ended on the east coast that he thought the 85-year-old actor would show up either during the telecast or earlier to film a taped segment of his signature song "You'll Never Walk Alone."

"I was fully expecting him to turn up at any point and join that six hours — and I'm sorry he didn't," Lythgoe told the AP. "And hopefully another year he might. I mean, he knows that he is always welcome on the telethon. It's his baby."

The fundraiser raised $58.9 million last year, but was shortened this year from 21½ hours.

Brown said early Monday that this year's donations increased to nearly $61.5 million, the MDA's best showing since 2008 when the recession started.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I was surprised that it did so well. I'm glad that is did. The M.D.A. has always been one of two charities that I will support when I can.

This doesn't mean that it's going to keep doing well however. Will it? That remains to be seen. If it does great but if not the writing has been on the wall for a while with or without Jerry even.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Labor Day without Jerry Lewis (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL