The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent dolls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I wanted to share an idea with everyone here. Most of you know that I have a vent doll named Sammy that assists me in teaching the story of the Star Spangled Banner in my American Flag show. Well, I discovered a new use for Sammy that will hopefully open the doors to a new type of venue for me. Sammy is a type of vent doll that has the arms that one can put his/her arms in and operate the hands. Well, the hands are correct, meaning five fingers and proportional.

I now have a hearing impaired vent doll. Sammy does not speak with his mouth, but speaks using his hands... sign language! I, of course, interpret for Sammy for the hearing people in the audience. Now before anyone asks, I am fluent in sign language, although my ASL is a bit rusty, my PSE and Signed English are still good. I lack about 12 hours in obtaining my Interpreting Degree.

So, when Sammy and I can get our act together, literal and figurative, there are several venues around the city he and I will approach.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Applause, Applause!!!

That is a Great concept, and one surely to open new venues for you (or others who may possibly pick up on the concept)

As performers, we tend to forget that the spoken voice is not the first langauge of many people.

My Gandparents, some Aunts and Uncles, and some cousins are Deaf. But they enjoy art, and performances of all types as much as anyone who can hear it.

I love the idea of not just interpreting or signing from outside of the act, but making it part of the act!

You Go Girl!!! You have a wonderful concept that sure to entertain and Bless many!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
SloMo150
View Profile
Regular user
Speedway, Indiana
121 Posts

Profile of SloMo150
Bravo!!!

As a parent with a child with Cerebral Palsy we started with ASL to teach him how to talk, now he uses a mixture of both sign and verbal language. I applaude your ideas and THINK IT'S GREAT.

Today more parents of infants are teaching basic sign language to babies.. It has been proven that infants can sign and understand as early as 10 months.... I think it is great that you are striving to reach an area for children that may not otherwise enjoy your show simply because they are hearing impaired.

I am not a deeply religious person but the Lord above blessed you many times over... Good luck and keep us posted on how things turn out...
Smile SloMo
Hey wanna see me pull a rabbit from my hat, (lion appears). I gotta get a new Hat.
professorpopcorn
View Profile
New user
Taunton Somerset U.K.
79 Posts

Profile of professorpopcorn
What a wonderful idea.

As SloMo said, keep us posted. I'm certain your idea will be a success.

Congratulations. Smile
When you're smilin'
When you're smilin'
The Whole World Smiles With You !!!
Tra-la-la
www.profpopcorn.co.uk
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Kudos, for opening up a world of magic.

I have done programs with interpreters, but
being your own "sounds" great.

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
That is to cool, Vent for the deaf. It would probably help teach kids who can hear how to sign Smile so they can understand the jokes!! love it!
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
That's amazing Margarette, you are providing a fantastic service to the hearing impaired. I have never even heard of a Vent doll like this. I am interested in sign language, studied some awhile back, and my children are learning it now. Where can I find info on a vent doll of this sort?
Thanks
Steve
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Nigel - the puppet that rocks and talks is
a Folkmanis puppet. He like some of the other Folkmanis products have gloves that a persons hands could go into.

I am well height challenged (5'5) (LOL) and my hands are also fairly small.

I am not sure if this puppet would be right for you.

I got Nigel at Crown Center Hotel and Shops,
but Folkmanis puppets are sold in a lot of places including online.

Just put Folkmanis puppets into your favorite
search engine.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
AndyChil
View Profile
New user
UK
35 Posts

Profile of AndyChil
Sounds like a great idea. Especially cuz if you are venting, a deaf person can't read your lips or the puppet's!!!

Practical question - how do you do the mouth and sign with the hands? Do you have 3 arms?

Andrew Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent dolls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL