The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Choosing a Street Performer Name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
How does one go about picking a good street performer name? What is important to think about when choosing a name?

At first I thought of the name TaMojo, but then I went to a magic convention & put it on my name tag and everyone was confused by it. They could not pronounce it & thought I was from a foreign country.

So I decided on Timothy Friday.

Here is why I chose this name:

1) The first name 'Timothy' is 3 syllables and the last name 'Friday' is 2 syllables which gives it a nice rhythm. DaDaDa DaDa. I believe this rhythm makes it pleasing to say and memorable.

2) The 'th' in the first name alliterates with the 'Fr' in the last name. TimoTHy FRiday. I believe the alliteration makes it pleasing to say and memorable.

3) I did a focus group and for some reason they liked Timothy Friday better than Timothy Monday.

If there's something else I might not have thought of or be aware of please share...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think your name is fine. Most buskers that I see are pretty much "nameless" anyway. Very few, if any, ever promote themselves by name.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Some more examples:

Gazzo, Bobby Maverick, Nick Nicholas, Kozmo, James James, Ron Jeremy, Todd Various, Jimmy Talksalot, Cellini

One other observation about street performer names - why is it that they all sound like they could be names of adult film stars? Is this an important quality to have in your name to be a successful street performer?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Wow, is there really a busker named Ron Jeremy?

Although they may have on occasion, I don't recall Gazzo or Cellini really calling themselves by name in any of the video street performances I've seen.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, just that it's not that big a deal. Your chosen name is great for the reasons you outlined. Stick with it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Do remember that stret performer or not, most times audiences fail to recall the performer's name.
Why not just use your name my friend? If you don't particularly care for your name, find out from others what is most appealing about your personality and choose a name that promotes that magical quality.

Friday is a wonderful last name. Why? Fridays are "paydays" for most are they not?

"Friday" nice and memorable! On saturday I saw Friday and so on. The list of quips are endless! Anyone else care for a go of it?

R2
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Choosing a Street Performer Name (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL