The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dealbreakers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Glenn-

I thought that you were balancing your wife's liberalism against her being a Catholic because of your sentence structure:

"...but my wife considers her self essentially a "liberal," also, not exactly political, but she is also catholic."

Now that's actually pretty confusing. The "but" at the beginning of the last clause seems to refer back to the first. I.e. - eliminating the superfluous "also, not exactly political" we're left with:

"but my wife considers her self essentially a "liberal," but she is also catholic."

That's why I apparently misunderstood what you meant.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Gottcha, I guess I can understand that
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 00:09, Destiny wrote:
Forgive me going off topic but a Catholic priest here who the heirachy threw out of his church, St Mary's, for being too liberal, now leads a congregation known as St Mary's in Exile. I saw in an interview last week he now believes God doesn't exist, is not sure Jesus ever lived, and doubts the power of prayer. While I don't disagree with him on any of that, I wonder that he still calls himself Catholic. I would have thought a belief in God was necessary.

Didn't Penn & Teller have an interview with one of those guys on their BS show? Or maybe I'm thinking of 'Religulous...'
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
As a political atheist I am diametrically opposed to people with any political beliefs.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've never had a problem with anyone because of what they believe, ever, as long as they don't have a problem with me being different.

Sometimes I have a problem with Tommy, however. Smile
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 00:31, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 23:53, Destiny wrote:
I am politically liberal and non religious, yet for 6 months have been travelling and working with someone active in conservative politics and a practicing Catholic. We spend 14 - 16 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week together and get on very well. We only occasionally decide to abandon a conversation before it becomes too heated.

It's much more interesting than being around people who agree with you all the time and I have rediscovered that there is not always only one truth.

Have you read Graham Greene's Monseigneur Quixote? Sounds like you are living it.

John

I haven't read any Graham Greene since I was about 15 - thanks for that - time for a revisit. I have during the last 6 months sometimes been reminded of an Ann Rice book where the Devil and God are sitting in a Paris Café discussing how things came about and how it's all turned out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dealbreakers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL