The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to creat GOOD atmosphere? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MuMu2017
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of MuMu2017
This really bothers me a lot when I perform. Recently several magic books told me that atmosphere is fatal in magic. But how to creat Good atmosphere when performing magic? Anyone has a suggestion?
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Where are you performing and for whom?
Wes
MuMu2017
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of MuMu2017
Quote:
On 2011-08-13 20:27, Wes65 wrote:
Where are you performing and for whom?

I usually perform for my friends when we hangout.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If you are preforming in a bar, buy everyone a round, that usually puts them in a good mood.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Friends can be tough. They tend to view a friend doing magic as a challenge. they also make it hard to establish boundaries. When I perform for friends I often elevate them to test audience. I tell them I'm working on something new and I respect them and would like to get their opinion of my routine. This puts them on my team and gives them a stake in my success. It's always a better atmosphere to have the audience on your side.
Wes
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I'm with Wes: Friends are the worst, generally, folks to do magic for. They feel they can take advantage of the situation and cause problems, because the are 'friends'. Part of the problem is there is no established manner for friends to treat a friend who does magic. I mean that.

Here is what I suggest IF you can get away with it. Don't do a lot for your buddies. Do like one new trick per time together. TRY...if possible to gently over time lay out some rules. Don't grab, I will NOT tell you how it's done, etc.

From there start figuring out and learning about (frankly) manipulating folks into doing what YOU want. How do you want to set up your area of performing for instance? You might say something like: "Hey, you guys really want to see something that will blow you away? I mean totally sick? O.k., is everyone willing to do what I ask here as I set the stage so to speak? Great, look you guys sit over there and you two over....." You get the idea. Figure out what YOU want to make the magic work the best, etc. Remember, you ARE doing them a favor. Why waste time doing a trick, etc. if it's just going to look or come off bad?

Here is a rule I learned a long time ago: If you are direct and act with confidence and you don't care if they do it or not? You can get folks to do what you want. They don't want to move? Great, no magic. It's a kind of negotiation: You HAVE to be willing to walk away. As you THINK about this stuff in the correct frame work and put it into action you will get better at it.

Your attitude is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't ORDER folks about. You don't talk too loud, just enough to heard. You want to give the impression that they are HELPING you and are being very cool to do so. Please and thank you go a long, long way in smoothing things over, etc.

By the way depending on you and your crowd maybe you have to use a different approach. The one above is offered in a general way.

Good luck,
Brad Burt
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
There are different kinds of "good" atmosphere. Sometimes you'll want people laughing. Sometimes you'll want them serious. Sometimes you'll want them passive and getting caught up in a story. Sometimes you'll want them yelling at you because they think they saw your move. Sometimes you'll want them in breathless anticipation. All of these can be harnessed and put to good use to make a strong show.

Basically, watch as many videos or magic performances as you can and figure out the atmosphere that you want to try to duplicate. Then figure out how to tailor everything you do to build that feeling, and eliminate anything that could get in the way of that feeling. Find a good role model and study what they do, and then find similar magicians and study what they do to figure out why they get similar results, and then find different magicians and study what they do to get different results.

And yeah, don't perform for friends, unless you're happy to get the byplay and risk letting them set the tone. Personally, I love getting heckled, so that sort of thing doesn't bother me, but you need to be excited about the prospect of the unknown. Do whatever you can to perform for fresh audiences.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Read the Books of Wonder
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
To be honest I just create impromptu atmosphere.

Generally, by the time (if) I approach them, I've already assessed if the person is going to be receptive to seeing magic, and a good guess as to what effect I should use to capture their attention.

Most of the time I simply start doing my thing and the crowd gathers itself.

I think people are inherently pre-disposed to wonder- I've been amazed time and again how it cuts across age, race and even language barriers.

The wonder on their faces is a universal gift.

"Atmosphere" for me, depends on the personality I'm portraying for the person- I could do my effect silently, or use patter. So, to sum up my rambling thoughts, I would say it depends on the individual.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
ThinkThurston
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThinkThurston
Regarding friends, I agree that some friends can be troublesome and aren't worth the effort. Since I've made the decision not to perform for the ones who are not good collaborators, these troublemakers now beg me to do an effect that they heard about from another, more cooperative friend. Key point is not that I want them to beg, but instead I want them and myself to have fun.

Regarding atmosphere: The most important element of atmosphere, in my opinion, is how you are perceived by the participants. Your appearance, the sound, rhythm and tempo or your voice, your patter, etc. Most of the effects I do are for small groups which makes my appearance, etc a more influential part of the atmosphere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to creat GOOD atmosphere? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL