The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tax the Rich (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 19:00, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 17:26, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Are you really convinced by that?

Convinced of what?

He admits up front that "the bottom 20% of income earners [in the US] have a smaller share of national income than they did in the past."

He then goes on to argue that this is no big deal because the bottom 20% have more total money than they did in the past. So it doesn't matter to him if the growth of the poor's income is lower than the rest of the populace. The final part of his argument is that different people are poor now than were 20 years ago. He claims that poor people are slowly becoming not poor, and "immigrants and new workers" are today's poor. And he's perfectly all right with that.

Do you really agree with this "analysis"?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 20:18, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
He claims that poor people are slowly becoming not poor, and "immigrants and new workers" are today's poor. And he's perfectly all right with that.

If you disagree or aren't ok with this, is it because you think there just shouldn't be a poor at all, or because you think it is/should be someone else?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
John, I was never contradicting that they have a smaller share. Simply pointing out that it's not the whole story.

Makes for a nice sound bite, but, as he points out, it's a smaller share, but of a much bigger pie*.

The initial point about different people being poor was not about demographic, but that those who were poor have been doing better.
The addendum specifically addressing the demographics, was clearly not an attempt to be dismissive, as if it's "ok" because they are the young and immigrants, but that the poorer people are, not surprisingly, the people more likely to be starring out. Obviously if you are just starting, or at least relative to those with more wealth, then you probably won't be starting with as much of the wealth.

*That's not necessarily taking inflation into account, which just adds to my point that it's not the whole story, and to just throw out platitudes that are half the story, then one might construe that as being dishonest.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2011-08-22 21:15, gdw wrote:
John, I was never contradicting that they have a smaller share. Simply pointing out that it's not the whole story.

Makes for a nice sound bite, but, as he points out, it's a smaller share, but of a much bigger pie*.

The initial point about different people being poor was not about demographic, but that those who were poor have been doing better.
The addendum specifically addressing the demographics, was clearly not an attempt to be dismissive, as if it's "ok" because they are the young and immigrants, but that the poorer people are, not surprisingly, the people more likely to be starring out. Obviously if you are just starting, or at least relative to those with more wealth, then you probably won't be starting with as much of the wealth.

*That's not necessarily taking inflation into account, which just adds to my point that it's not the whole story, and to just throw out platitudes that are half the story, then one might construe that as being dishonest.
Well said!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
How is it a bigger pie? There is only the same amount of real stuff in this old world of ours as there ever was. Unless that is the little green men have landed and brought with them some more stuff making the pie bigger that I have not heard about. Smile
If anything the pie is smaller, as now there are more people at the pie party.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If 'real stuff' includes things like cars, cell phones, computers, TV sets, etc, then my understanding is that one of the upshots of economic activity is that there is in fact more real stuff than there used to be.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
No, no, no, no! There are the same number of Toyota's, Kia's, Chevy's, etc today as there were 200 years ago!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
My truck is 63 years old. Built not that long after the end of the first Great Depression.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tax the Rich (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL