The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Thunderbolt" Copper Cups... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
...do not, to my knowledge, actually exist.

But I am hoping that someone (Donnie?!) might consider making a set in tribute to the super-cool 1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt copper-top automobile!

You want pictures?

We have pictures!

"Everything about this car, as its recent 100 point score confirms, is to the highest standards of materials, craftsmanship, historical accuracy, fit, finish and function. A dramatic statement of vision and innovation, with its brilliant copper hardtop and trim it is one of a kind, a dramatic statement of leadership in engineering, design and creativity in the 1940s, and no less a statement today."

http://stories-etc.com/1941_T-bolt.htm
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
The color is fantastic! That would require a quality paint job, polished copper and a solid clear top coat.
You really have an eye e!
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
That color scheme would make a memorable set of cups to be sure!
Magic is where you find it.....
Paul Reed
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Paul Reed
Oh yeah that would be incredible!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Wow, great idea!
Isn't there a chemical patina that's close to that green?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Yes, there are chemical treatments that will patinize copper to a variety of colors: red, pink, purple, green, etc...
Some are cold, some are hot, all are tricky! I've experiment with the least hazardous of them, those that won't turn my shop into a gas chamber, and have not had much success. My girlfriend is a chemist and won't let me use the really dangerous chemicals combinations. I got very close to purple once using an ammonia and sodium (salt) solution, but it was still just a shade of purple in the copper, not the same as a painted surface. A retreatment just turning the copper brown.
But, in theory, once you get the desired patina (green, in this case), you neutralize the surface of the copper to stop the patina and then clear coat it so the color is locked in and protected from oxygen and moisture. You could just wax the surface, but that is a short-term protection barrier.

More than just the colors are inspiring on the 1941 Thunderbolt though. The lines of the fenders, the bumpers and the hood really are interesting. Very smooth and streamline.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-08-23 09:56, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Yes, there are chemical treatments that will patinize copper to a variety of colors: red, pink, purple, green, etc...
Some are cold, some are hot, all are tricky! I've experiment with the least hazardous of them, those that won't turn my shop into a gas chamber, and have not had much success. My girlfriend is a chemist and won't let me use the really dangerous chemicals combinations. I got very close to purple once using an ammonia and sodium (salt) solution, but it was still just a shade of purple in the copper, not the same as a painted surface. A retreatment just turning the copper brown.
But, in theory, once you get the desired patina (green, in this case), you neutralize the surface of the copper to stop the patina and then clear coat it so the color is locked in and protected from oxygen and moisture. You could just wax the surface, but that is a short-term protection barrier.

More than just the colors are inspiring on the 1941 Thunderbolt though. The lines of the fenders, the bumpers and the hood really are interesting. Very smooth and streamline.

Hey Donnie,
Did I get you hooked?!
Is there a Thunderbolt Cup in your/our future?
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
You can call me nuts... it’s OK.

When I saw the photo of the car, I thought of the shape of the Mendoza Cups.

Bruce
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
That Thunderbolt is BEAUTIFUL! Complete with a Spitfire engine! I can see how you could make some lovely cups for the C & B routine. Wow. If you make some, count on me needing a set! I might need that classic car, too!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 19:31, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
That Thunderbolt is BEAUTIFUL! Complete with a Spitfire engine! I can see how you could make some lovely cups for the C & B routine. Wow. If you make some, count on me needing a set! I might need that classic car, too!

Hey there Superstar...let's get this momentum going!!!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Here's another cool idea...
Check out the patina on this brass snare drum from Porkpie Drums...
http://www.porkpiedrums.com/products/snares/brasspatina.htm
-Charles Schulz
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Found a video on youtube - looks like it came in black too.
nice car - fun headlights and great lines. I bet they would sell if remade using carbon fiber and a few modern safety features discreetly hidden.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
I could see you in one of those Jon.
With a white fedora.
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Thunderbolt" Copper Cups... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL