The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Briefcase Illusion by Paul Romhany (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
It's not common but it looks "empty"
halewyn
View Profile
New user
Lille, France
71 Posts

Profile of halewyn
There was a simili illusion made by Osborn in the big black book, What are the differences ?
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Halewyn - differences in design, concealment, the fact this takes 2 minutes to break down and 4-5 to set up etc etc. Mostly the design is very different and the concealment. You might also want to check out 'Vivify' by Mark Parker - he also has a writing desk type illusion in there - again different concealment. So there are others out there now since I have been doing mine but mine was made to pack small for travel and be performed under any working condition.

From the many positive emails and PMS I have obviously underpriced the book of plans for $24.95 - I may now have to seriously re-think increasing the price.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
How is this best set up on stage? Can this be performed in the middle of the show or does it have to be the opening number? What if the venue doesn't have any curtains? I am thinking of performances in hotels where there are no curtains but with a reasonable stage. How is this carried or brought out into the stage? I guess 4 backstage assistants need to bring this up if I were in it.
I'm just thinking "real world" situations.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Lou - I started doing this illusion in hotel ballrooms with no curtains etc. for corporate shows. I go in to detail in the book how to set it up so you can be loaded in it in a variety of ways - so to answer your question you can do this anytime in your act. You don't have to be in there from the start at all. If you buy the plans you'll certainly understand more of how this works and the multiple variations of performance situations. I've done this surrounded in circus shows even and shopping malls with people looking down on it.
The prop can be on-stage already - there are many variations this opens up to for the real world working performing. The ONLY PLACE I work and have made my living from doing this illusion is the Real World - throughout Asia, Europe< USA etc etc.

This illusion has over 20 years of use so it's not a pipe dream unlike most of the illusion plans and books out there now. THAT is the difference between this and other versions.

halewyn
View Profile
New user
Lille, France
71 Posts

Profile of halewyn
Thank you ! I will command him !
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 12:03, comedy wrote:
Halewyn - differences in design, concealment, the fact this takes 2 minutes to break down and 4-5 to set up etc etc. Mostly the design is very different and the concealment. You might also want to check out 'Vivify' by Mark Parker - he also has a writing desk type illusion in there - again different concealment. So there are others out there now since I have been doing mine but mine was made to pack small for travel and be performed under any working condition.

From the many positive emails and PMS I have obviously underpriced the book of plans for $24.95 - I may now have to seriously re-think increasing the price.

Glad I bought it before the price increase
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Just had an email from somebody who purchase this and gave me permission to share the concept. They wanted to take this illusion and set it up on stage as though they were building something - then have somebody walk in with briefcase and produce girl. We worked out a very easy way to do this and fits in to the concept perfectly for what they want to do with it. So exciting to hear and see different uses of this illusion. Keep up the creative thinking folks - you are all only limited by your own imaginations. I have given you the tool now use it to do amazing things.

Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
OK - now AGT is over I"m allowed to tell everybody that the illusion was going to be in Landon's final performance. I got a phone call from Thomas who has been helping Landon and they wanted to put it in the show. Due to time factors it didn't make it, however Landon will be adding it to his live performance. We discussed his amazing routine and it would fit in perfectly. It's so great to get these calls and know that real professionals are going to be adding it to their performances. Since it's release I've been in touch with a few well known names who have spoken to me about their ideas, additions and how they will be using it. This is the reason I release my products on the market - to spark creativity in other people.

dubrovni
View Profile
New user
Croatia
6 Posts

Profile of dubrovni
Last Saturday I performed Briefcase Illusion in Umag,Croatia. Five star hotel restaurant, surrounded with 425 people seating arround dinner tables. Distance from the closest table was only 2,5 m.

I used Pauls advice and covered table hole with slitted black spandex and ordinary 'monthly planer' sheet of paper. At the edge of Spandex cloth I glued black Velcro tape. I put some usual office items on the table: cup full of crayons, scisors, pencils, staples, papers....

Routine was adapted to the audience (employees of the big transport logistic company).

First, video was projected on the big screen. Video showed me in the another city. I apologized to the moderator for my MC absence. I told him that I was late for my flight and I'm stacked in another city. Moderator bagged me to 'find the way'. He stressed how good and efficient is forwarding parcel service of the ‚certain transport logistic company’. They deliver everywhere in the world for less than 24 hours. I acted to be skeptic about it. I said ‚Good bye’, video stopped and moderator continued with his interaction with the audience.

Suddenly one delivery boy in logistic company uniform (my assistant) came closer shouting that he has parcel for the moderator. He put the cardboard parcel box on the desk, moderator ‚wondered what it is’ and......I opened the box from inside and stepped out. Huge surprise.... To the rest of the evening moderator and I continued to be pair of MC’s.

I used small height parcel box instead of briefcase. Bottom of the box was open and Velcro tape was glued around the hole. That way box fits perfectly to the hole, and later on it is almost impossible for audience to accidentaly move the box and inspect how trick was performed. There was no backstage so after the show we nedeed some time to push ‚magic’ table between guests acros the restaurant to the storage room.

My remarks:

1. I’m tall and I made table slightly bigger from the measures in the book. Finally it was larger than needed. It was NOT necessary because if you act surrounded than auditorium on the right side (looking toward the stage) will not be surprised. They don't see ‚small’ front with shelves. They see only 'fat' side box big enough to hide inside. I'm considering to apply wooden frame to the side just to visually 'dissolve' side of the table.

2. I trowed small fleece blanket to the bottom of the 'leg department' to prevent pain in the right leg. Good hint if the show don't start on time and you have to hide more than originaly planed.

3. It was not necessary to completely cut out the bottom of the parcel box. Next time I'll turn flaps of the box to inside. That way flaps will ‚fall’ and naturally hide the hole and I'll be able to lift the bottom flaps together with upper flaps on the box.

4. I noticed that it is better to perform without trousers belt. Belt tends to 'hook' to the bottom edge of the table hole.

For Christmas kid shows I’ll use the large gift box (suggested in Pauls book).

Paul, thank you for amazing, effective but not complicated illusion.

Best regards from Croatia
Magic is - to live in Croatia!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Briefcase Illusion by Paul Romhany (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL