The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » What is the first false deal you learn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
I know everyone probably learn the false shuffle before learning false deals.
but which false deal you learn first?
strike seconds, push-off seconds, or bottom?
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
Are you asking which people personally learned first or which a person ought to learn first? the first crooked deal I learned how to do is a strike second. As for which people should take up first, I don't think it matters much, particularly if your goal is to just be well versed in a variety of different techniques.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
For my part, I learned a good strike second first, even before a good false shuffle. It's matter of interest, at least to me.
Of course, you then have to evolve...

Slim
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
I mean what I ought to learn.
anyway, I am trying out the strike second now.

do it really slow right now, so can get the moves right.
thanks for all the reply

and what do you mean by evolve? is it changing grip?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What are you learning a second deal for?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I started with BD. Then came cut cards. Now I mainly do SD.

Maybe you may consider tommy's question. Convincing false deals require a lot of practice. If you don't have a good reason for you may find it time consuming and frustrating.

If you want to use it in actual games, take great care of being natural. Learn to deal top and second which look the same, as much as you can. The grip is not really a great problem, as long as you are consistent and as long as you look natural.

Now, I'm talking for myself: avoid the strike. Definitely not natural. You have to tilt the deck, and it looks like you peel the deck. For the bottom deal, avoid the Erdnase grip (who the hell deals like that???) and consider deals not involving the left fingers tips for moving the bottom card.
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 15:40, AMcD wrote:
I started with BD. Then came cut cards. Now I mainly do SD.

Maybe you may consider tommy's question. Convincing false deals require a lot of practice. If you don't have a good reason for you may find it time consuming and frustrating.

If you want to use it in actual games, take great care of being natural. Learn to deal top and second which look the same, as much as you can. The grip is not really a great problem, as long as you are consistent and as long as you look natural.

Now, I'm talking for myself: avoid the strike. Definitely not natural. You have to tilt the deck, and it looks like you peel the deck. For the bottom deal, avoid the Erdnase grip (who the hell deals like that???) and consider deals not involving the left fingers tips for moving the bottom card.

What grips do you prefer for the bottom deal? For your seconds I'm assuming you use the pushoff?
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-08-27 15:40, AMcD wrote:
[snip]

[snip]

Amen!

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
The Dowser
View Profile
Special user
Canada
763 Posts

Profile of The Dowser
Assuming you are a magician, then there is no question... the bottom deal is the one you should learn first.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
@Hugokhf

For a magician the second deal is only useful for certain tricks. The strike second can do the job, although I know AMcD does not favor this deal (and I have great respect his opinion). It's easier, not easy, to do and it can become somewhat deceptive for tricks, not gambling, at least to me, although I have seen some fine strikes. you can then try some other types of strikes or push-off deals. That is what I was saying when I said evolve. I know of 4 different variatons of strikes and I am sure there are more. I like to learn different variations even if I don't use them. You can also use different types of cards as some are eaiser to second deal than others.

At first, using a full bleed deck of cards is kind of rewarding as it will pass easier. You will want to show it to some friends and family, that's a way to start. In my opinion, you will end with practising with old cards or plastic cards as it is harder to second deal them. Speaking of cards, I recently found some steamboats and I must say they are the best to strike second deal. I almost never miss and it really hides the imperfection of the deal (or MY deal,anyway).

I started with seconds, but I guess for a magician, bottoms are more useful. Lately I like to incorporate my seconds in a routine that I already have.
I know Andrew Musgrave had a nice piece on the Ace of Spades trick, but I disgress.

Slim
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Second deal can be use for some when spectators say stop, it is their card trick
and botton can be use for ace assembly, I can name hundreds which can use bottom deal and will reduce the procedue

and I have tried the bottom deal a bit,
find it really hard to grip the deck will moving both thumb and the pinky and ring at the same time. (i learn from Jason England's video)
probably the finger movement is too advance for me in this level.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I like a push off more to be honest. So I tend to agree with AcMd. Here is a movie of some strike bottoms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7E5olEctS8

I don't claim them to be perfect and I'm always open for feedback
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » What is the first false deal you learn? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL