The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Highly visual street magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Hi guys.

I'm thinking of building up a new magic act to work in major cities up and down the country.

I'm looking for highly visual effects that will have a big impact on my audiences.

What effects would you recommend? My tareget audiences age range will be between 18-40. I'll be performing early to late night on a Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday nights.

I'd be very greatful for any other advise you may have to offer. Perhaps you're a magician working the cities over here in the UK, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks very much for your help Smile

Neil.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Worrying about what tricks to perform when busking seems to be the wrong path to take. Why not study the posts, books, and DVDs of such experts as Cellini, Danny Hustle, Bobby Maverick, Jimmy Talksalot, Kosmo, and the list goes on. You state that you are working on a "new" act...that implies that you have an "old" act. You already know generally what works well for you...just use trial and error to finely hone that down.

Bob Phillips
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 11:10, bobn3 wrote:
Worrying about what tricks to perform when busking seems to be the wrong path to take. Why not study the posts, books, and DVDs of such experts as Cellini, Danny Hustle, Bobby Maverick, Jimmy Talksalot, Kosmo, and the list goes on. You state that you are working on a "new" act...that implies that you have an "old" act. You already know generally what works well for you...just use trial and error to finely hone that down.

Bob Phillips

I'm not worrying what effects will work best, I just want some good suggestions Smile

I started magic well over 15 years ago, not on a professional basis though. I've never done street magic before and would like to have some positive imput from other fellow street magicians.

Thanks.

Neil.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Bluedragon, my advice would be, that apart from Cups and Balls, most highly visible tricks for street crowds will not involve a table.
Think of routines where you can hold the prop up high, where you or the person you are interacting with, can show the prop around to a semi-circle of watchers. Have props that you can walk back and forth with as you use them. Rope and Chinese Linking Rings are a couple of props that come to mind. To help the crowd see the props arrange them around you in a semi-circle, rather than a closed up bunch directly in front of you. Maybe stand up on a box or public bench at some stages of your performance.
If you've been reading around in forums on Street Performing you should know that it's not the props but how you use them - the routines - 9and that comes back to you as a performer with character, individualness, liveliness) - that matters most on the street.
The presentation makes the magic.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"To help the crowd see the props arrange them around you in a semi-circle,..." When I wrote "them" I was meaning the crowd, not the props!!
The presentation makes the magic.
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Thanks for the heads up and info on this, some good advice Smile I've been looking at a few possible effects like Miser's Dream, Pressure (mobile phone in balloon), Signed by Mariano Goni to name a few.

I'm searching for an effect where the magi starts off pouring a glass of orange into a small glass, then pours it into a larger glass. At the end of the routine, the magi pours the pint of orange back into the smallest glass, where can I buy this effect from?

Neil.
Perseus Arkomanis
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Perseus Arkomanis
Try out tricks with jumbo cards like Dan Harlan's "Hold it Buster"...
The things that are most real to me are the illusions which I create...everything else is quicksand...
<BR>
<BR>www.orionmagicproductions.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The trick is called “Multum In Parvo”. A very affordable version can be found at the Magic Warehouse.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/MB5681/Multum-In-Parvo.html

There are some nice (and expensive) versions on the market too. Like this one found at Elmwood Magic.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/stage-m......6161.htm

Try a search on the name of the trick.

I suspect that you’ll do this once on the street and probably forget it. You’ll find the weight of the colored water is a pain to carry back and forth. You’ll find that the water loses come color as it “expands”. It seems to get lighter. Plus you may get some grief when you go to pour the colored stuff out.

That said it is a nice trick and could be used to draw a crowd. You’ll have to hold the glasses high (above shoulder level) to be seen and to effectively hide the “workings”. Otherwise it can be done pretty much surrounded.

Almost any trick that can be worked in the hands and at chest level or higher could be considered for busking.

Spend several days reading some of the older threads in this section. Look at the titles to the discussion and jump in. There is a wealth of advice and experience to be found. Look for discussion by Kosmo, Danny Hustle, Jimmy Talksalot, and Gazzo. Read their stuff and it will be like getting a Master’s degree in Busking.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Don't forget that whatever you do, it has to be resettable quickly. I've got a rope routine, in order to "reset" it, I have about a dozen setups in my bag. Same thing with the Shanghai Shackle, about a dozen of those set up and ready to go as well.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Thanks for everyones responses so far.

I understand that set up times need to be quick and fast and it helps to carry other set ups. However, how do you deal with people if they're chatty and therefore delaying your next show, do you have any favourate liners you use to point out to them that you need to get on?

Neil.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Rattle your tip bucket.

They'll disappear like magic!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 15:37, Ekuth wrote:
Rattle your tip bucket.

They'll disappear like magic!

Haha marvelous idea!

Or maybe "Times dissapearing rapidly, I'll have to hold onto my hat!"

I've been looking at this:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/FB6828/Sign......wis.html

Would this be suitable enough for large crowds? Does anyone use this on streets?

Neil.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Good effect but not for the street. you have to talk a lot and the effect is at the end. look for effects where quicker or more often magic happens.

china sticks
ring & rope
cups & balls
chop cup
linking rings
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Blue dragon, it all depends on how you want to work!

all of it depends on your character and what HE wants to perform...

with that being said I cannot recommend any tricks per say...what I can do is to suggest effects that reset automatically and are contrasting to what you plan to perform in. i.e, dark coloured clothing with white props is visually nice....black cloths in the traditional sense is nice....although quite artsy....

this suggestion was given to me and I pass it to you: go to a library and get books on jokes, comedian bio's and anything comedy related. read the books, listen to the cd's, the audio books. and take notes. if you can get one joke from a joke book and reword it, its worth it.

one more thing: anything from dale carnegie on public speaking is golden.

most everything you need will come from a library. free.

tricks are for kids.
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 19:30, Nick W wrote:
Blue dragon, it all depends on how you want to work!

all of it depends on your character and what HE wants to perform...

with that being said I cannot recommend any tricks per say...what I can do is to suggest effects that reset automatically and are contrasting to what you plan to perform in. i.e, dark coloured clothing with white props is visually nice....black cloths in the traditional sense is nice....although quite artsy....

this suggestion was given to me and I pass it to you: go to a library and get books on jokes, comedian bio's and anything comedy related. read the books, listen to the cd's, the audio books. and take notes. if you can get one joke from a joke book and reword it, its worth it.

one more thing: anything from dale carnegie on public speaking is golden.

most everything you need will come from a library. free.

tricks are for kids.

Hi Rob.

Having watched some street magicians on You Tube, the cups and balls looks quite favourable! I wonder if it's possible to pull a pole or something very unusual out of the cups on the grand finale! Talking of linking rings, I used to have a set of 8, I think they were chromium plated, not very good at all as the chrome came off them after a while. So I might go for some stainless steel 1's this time around. Do you recommend a good set at a reasonable price?

Hey Nick, good call! Some excellent advice there on dress sense and building up a repetoire of jokes etc. I've been looking at Shrinker by Andrew Mayne. Are you restricted to what you can wear?

Neil.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Make sure you get some weighted balls for the cup and ball set. Pom poms, sponge balls and other fluff fly right away in the slightest gust. If you use a table, put a small rail or lip on it.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 21:49, Ekuth wrote:
Make sure you get some weighted balls for the cup and ball set. Pom poms, sponge balls and other fluff fly right away in the slightest gust. If you use a table, put a small rail or lip on it.

Good call Smile

If there is 1 illusion you'd use as a grand finale to make your show go out with a bang(!), what would it be? I'd probably go out and buy myself a guillotine. Maybe quite difficult transporting it around, sure, but I'd imagine a good flightcase builder that builds flightcases to order will be able to help.

Neil.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
A well executed "Bill to Lemon" exceeds by miles the reactions of the perplexed audience viewing the guillotine illusion. I tried the guillotine in many shows and Andrew Mayne's "Voodoo Box" received stronger responses.
Cheers,
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2011-09-15 18:48, Devious wrote:
A well executed "Bill to Lemon" exceeds by miles the reactions of the perplexed audience viewing the guillotine illusion. I tried the guillotine in many shows and Andrew Mayne's "Voodoo Box" received stronger responses.
Cheers,

I've just seen Andrew's Voodoo Box illusion and it looks okay. Though I don't think it would be strong enough both in build quality and from a performance point of view. Sure, this illusion may be working for you in your country, though my opinion is, audiences over here in the UK will have a different reaction. I can't see myself walking through London and other busy cities walking around with 21 umbrellas and a cardboard box lol!!!! Though I suppose if it rains, the 21 umbrellas will come in handy lol!!!!

Neil.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I didn't imply for you to be walking around with 21 umbrellas. In your post you stated that you would be traveling up and down The U.K.
If you are walking, well you certainly don't wish to be lugging around a guillotine either for that matter right?

How's this for a thought? You can sleep in the cardboard box at night since you are walking up and down the country and pass out the 21 umbrellas to your audience, when the sun is blazing, perform the effect at the very end, to get them to relinquish said umbrellas. Everybody wins eh?

Cheers Neil!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Highly visual street magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL