The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with pet rats (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

douglasnagel22
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
12 Posts

Profile of douglasnagel22
I have never done any magic with animals, but I have pet rats and was wanting to incorporate them into my act. They are very smart and can be trained. Has anyone ever used rats in their magic? Where would I buy illusions for small animals? Are there any books or building diagrams I can buy to build props?
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
You might have something here. Some magicians work with snakes. I believe they like the fear factor. Rats may have the same effect. Give it a try. Illusions for small animals like doves are sold everywhere. Some may take some minor conversions, but check the dove stuff out. One I think would work well is the "dove through mirror" It isn't that expensive. A good place to start.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
igr8mgkman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of igr8mgkman
Be very interesting with rats! now that gives me an idea for hamsters!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Public perception, correct or incorrect, is that rats are dirty and spread disease. Keep that in mind.
extremeeric
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
51 Posts

Profile of extremeeric
Have used hamsters in the past. Productions pans work great.
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
What about alive by bobby motta.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish has plans for various small box props that can be used to make small animals appear and disappear. True, he had doves in mind when he designed them, but that's pure prejudice. I'm sure your rats will do just fine in the space reserved for a dove. The question is, will they play along with the gag or try to gnaw their way out of any confinement? In any case, the props are made of hardboard and duct tape and so are easily repaired if they do cause a little damage from time to time. In the Hardboard Magic section on my site, check in Book 1 for Flip Over Box, and Chocolate Bunny Box (resized for a rat); Book 2 has "Magic House of Mystery," "Visible Vanish", "Tear Apat and Take Apart Dove Vanishes", "Pass Through Tube Effect" - with an easy and gentle livestock appear included.

Last, but noit least, is my "Big Cheese" from The Wizards' Journal #18, but that's a play for two or more mice, just in case your rat is working on raising a family.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
extremeeric
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
51 Posts

Profile of extremeeric
Thanks for that Spellbinder! will be sure to look into that.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
My pet rat just gave birth to 8 babies!
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with pet rats (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL