The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Avant-Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
This is available from the author, for fifty large plus about 14 more for shipping at:

http://tomgagnonmagic.com/books-c-1.html

To be honest, I've met Tom and the book's author. I consider Tom Gagnon to be one of the best card-workers in the world. He fooled me naked with some of the work in this book. We've corresponded a bit of late. I can't claim Tom as a friend. Let me say I am a huge fan of his work though.

For many the pass in it's various incarnations is a favorite topic. Tom does this sleight differently. If you learn this pass you'll have a weapon that will fly by even well-posted magicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DQt93UE......embedded

There is a tip on putting in breather crimps in the book that will make them invisible.

His handling of "Stabbed in the Pack" is . . . otherworldly. He takes a routine of Harry Lorayne's and the moment when the work must me done and renders the totality of this great trick to a new level.

He has a take on the bottom deal I've only seen in Tom's hands. Looking back . . . I had no freaking idea how he was accomplishing those effects.

It's a couple hundred pages. Tom is also a great illustrator. The quality of the illustrations is superb. He made some choices about how to bring out highlighted cards that make learning from the book much easier.

His author, Wesley James has gotten some bad press, of late. His work on this book is well-thought out and he explains things with in a workman-like fashion. I found Wesley's writing a bit verbose. When he gets down to describing the work, the writing is more than adequate.

The contents . . . If you're not already a fan of Tom's work or a well-versed card man it could be really tough going. You'll be presented with an array of tools few in magic even know exist.

Avant-Cards will be selling for several times what the current asking price in the future. Someone you know will fool the living crap out of you with this material one day.

I'm not qualified to review this book. Tom asked me to, so this is here. The book contains well-written, fabulously illustrated sleights and tricks based on those sleights. This is an important book on card magic. You may not absorb all the material in a week, or even a year. I have to get back to learning his bottom deal. You guys send Tom the dough for the book or I will sell you my second copy in five years for 300 bucks. Your choice.

Kent
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I should be getting this MOnday, I ordered this along with Strong Magic so I have a lot of stuff to read. I hate that college is starting back up again. I was hoping this would be my study material for the next few months. Thanks for bringing this up, I was hoping it wasn't "dead".
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
This is a great book, surprised there isn't more chatter about it....
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Smile I'll be sure to post up a full review after I digest the material. I've been doing a lot of work lately with bottom/center/second deals so I'm pumped for this.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
All I can say is - this book is fantastic. Get it.

Cheers,
Mike
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
This book is awesome. I was working through the mechanics of the Gagnon Spread Pass and I'm flabbergasted how this is done so smoothly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2vghyDfdWY&feature=related
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Avant-Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL