The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Distress ink pads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Hello everbody,
has any of you tried these yet?
http://www.rangerink.com/pcbfall10.htm

I have one that mimmicks the look of old photographs and paper, might making aging things a lot easier.
What do you guys think?
Greetings,
Cirrus
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Personally, a waste of money.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I agree with Christopher. There are better and cleaner (read: non-acidic) items out there for this purpose, but the one good thing about those pads is that they are acid free.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
They seem nice to me.

what other products or methods would you suggest. (I want to age every page of a book).
Greetings,
Cirrus
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Wow,
thanks for the links. I'm going to look into this.
Thank you.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve

Ah the pure-gold generosity of Spooky!
And coming from the artist Mr Gould means these are tips definitely worth listening to. I for one will be storing those links in my bookmarks - thanks for sharing Chris!
Steve
[
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I tried the ageing paper set. It made about 3 nice aged a4 pieces of paper before it ran out. An expensive way of ageing paper.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I'm going to invest in a brush and am going to try to brush the tea on the pages, haven't tried that yet (I always soaked them in tea.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
[quote]On 2011-09-21 13:20, docsteve wrote:

I concur.

As for the ageing pads, they are simply not big enough to make more than a few (2-4) pages, and even then it depends on how heavily you age those few pages as to how many you will actually get out of it.

There is nothing wrong with soaking the pages in coffee or tea, and the brushing works very well for a lighter coloration technique. Another thing you may try if you want a light color is either soaking the paper in the coffee or tea, or brushing it on, then immediately pat/wipe it down with paper towels.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Can you get darker colors by doing the pages multiple times?
I did some pages 3 to 4 times to have the coloring perfect (with coffee) a half year ago.
But I was looking for a faster technique. But aging things does have to take ages Smile
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Yes, the best way to age something is to just live long enough.....
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
:I do not know if you have considered Brother Shadow's technique for turning typing paper into aged parchment as making things too old. Has a few more steps -- but works great. Find it on Dragonskull.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-21 20:39, chmara wrote:
:I do not know if you have considered Brother Shadow's technique for turning typing paper into aged parchment as making things too old. Has a few more steps -- but works great. Find it on Dragonskull.

Those extra steps in that method are very much worth the time. It always turns out great. Thanks for posting that chmara, I had forgotten about it although I use it a lot!
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I must thank you all.
I am aging my book with a brush, page per page, and today worked on the first page, it looks awesome. I am going to complete the book in hopefully 2 weeks from now. Then I will write in it (maybe not the write order to do things, but there must be a first time to everything.
The books must seem like a journal, a book that my grandfather or whoever the story will be about carried with him all the time. So it might have been left in the rain, so not abnormal to have wrinkled writing in it.

Thanks for the answers and the tips on aging a book. I love the method. What is more ageable with coffee or strong tea?
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
It is better to do things in the order that you are describing, but so because most modern inks are prone to run and streak when they get wet. If you write the words in lightly enough, or use an ink made with walnut shells and a coagulation agent, it should look just fine. You can also just distress the ink by going over your writing lightly with an abrasive material. You can also look into using iron gall ink (if you want to go to such lengths) or just look for a company called Noodler's, which makes what they call 'Eternal Inks' - they have a neutral pH which binds with the cellulose in most papers, and they are waterproof, and while still wet, you could smear the writing a bit if you desire that look.

Good luck with the rest of the project!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Distress ink pads (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL