The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Multiplying wands (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Looking for a new set of Multiplying wands, any ideas of which ones you guys like the best and why would be great!!!!!
Thanks again Magic Joe
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Fab Magic in Colon is making a set that doesn't crack like the old ones.
I would get those! They are all the same size and I like the black ones best.
Regards,
Jef
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I have these:
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=5905

I have not used them except in practice, so I can't tell you how long they will last.
They work smoothly, though, with the right handling (which is easy). And reset is quick.

Ed
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
The only problem with the Fab Magic Sets is you have to be careful of the heat!

I had TWO SETS that over the summer while working outside, would get hot and the adhesive

on the taped ends would SMEAR ALL OVER the wands when you would try to pull them out!

It made for a VERY STICKY MESS!!!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Do you mean nesting wands, like when each wand fits inside the other and slides out? I have the Ickle Pickle brand multi-colored set. They are very good, I use them for every kid show. I had another brand (not sure which one) that was garbage.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
The ickle Pickle set is okay, but the wands get smaller as you pull them out so all the kids start yelling they know how you're doing it. They're built out of much better material and will last longer, but I never got a great reaction with those and it always bothered me to hear kids saying they knew how it was done, even though it wasn't meant to be a trick, but just a side gag.

The nesting/multiplying wands like Fab Magic immediately spring back to their original size so it looks like you've made the wands actually appear! These get a much better reaction. You'll have to replace them more often, but they're less expensive.

You can also make your own for much cheaper. I've been making these on my own for years. Fab magic just caught on a few years ago and started making a better quality set, they were garbage before then.

Don't get the original ones either (like from Mak magic) those things are junk, seriously!

Best Wishes! - Kevin
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Yah - mine are nested. They're all black with white tips. Four to a set. I stuffed a set of feather flowers into the last one just to break up the reactions.

Ed
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I rarely get the "I know how your'e doing that" with the Pickle ones. Maybe it's how I present it. I'm not trying to fool them, it's just like, " why is this happening? don't worry, it won't happen again, etc" I get a ton of laughs with that combined with other stuff. I've used them maybe 1 or 2 thousand times. I don't know about the Fab ones. Do those have that seam on the side - not a solid tube? The set I didn't like doesn't slide out easily like I'm used to, and have the seam.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Mine have the seam; they're not solid tubes. They are small versions of the shower rod cover I use for a five-foot wand, but I don't use the nested ones in the same way.

Ed
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
493 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 15:59, dearwiseone wrote:
it always bothered me to hear kids saying they knew how it was done, even though it wasn't meant to be a trick, but just a side gag.

My experience with this issue in maybe 200 performances is this: If you first use other gag wands (in my case fishing pole wand and break-away-wand) and then the nesting wands the kids don´t shout out how the trick is done. The kids get used to the idea that something funny happens with the wands and then they are just laughing.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Daniel,
Good point, that's how I always use them. I use a lot of funny wands in the show and the multiplying wands are just one of them.

Dan, you're right, these are much more fragile than the Ickle Pickle set. There's no way they would last 1000 shows! The only advantage might be the fact that they don't get smaller. But, if that doesn't bother someone, that is probably the better set to go with.

Yes, the Fab-style wands have the seam on the side. Again, they're not as well made as the Ickle Pickle set, but they don't get smaller and they're cheaper up front. It boils down to preference.

Best Wishes!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I perform a long wand routine, I start out with the nesting wands, then the broken wand, I then explain that the wands are giving me problems and I need to make a new wand, I then do the Magic Wand Factory and use the last wand to continue with the bigger wands; if the room is big enough, I’ll end with the Biggest Wand
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
With over 4,000 sets sold must be doing something right Smile
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Multiplying wands (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL