The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why Do the Aces Assemble? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Why Do the Aces Assemble?

They're supporting the Occupy movement. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
First answer .... because they have the right to assembly and free speech Smile

Now sorry to hijack this thready but ......
Quote:
On 2011-09-29 11:43, Brad Burt wrote:
Why does ANYONE climb a crazily high mountain? The classic answer is still: Because it's there.

Why does ANY magic take place on ANY magic stage? Because it does. The meaning is inherent in the action itself. IF...Think of the utter triviality of what we do as magicians! A card comes repeatedly to the top of the deck...for no apparent REASON. A ball keeps doing amazing things with a single cup and then two large 'things' appear under the cup. Apparently solid steel rings link and unlink.

Why? Who cares? So WHAT? The fact is that IF we could really do magic that had any meaning at all we would cure sick folks, pull mountains of food from the air and clean up Washington.

What I share while I'm on stage isn't trivial. It's art, it's the best thing I can do in life and for life. If I can help someone smile, experience wonder, have fun, make their day better, help them forget what grinds them on a daily basis by sharing the effects performed, make their party, function, birthday, meeting, evening, whatever better .... then I have done magic. I'm not sorry in any way that's the only magic I have, it's what I have to share and when it makes a difference it's not trivial.

Quote:

We produce 'magic' effects for the simple reason that, one, we can and two, enough folks seem to enjoy it that it can offer a way to make a living. There IS no other reason. Or, if you will: It makes two sets of folks happy. The first is the performer who has the time to be able to offer the 'magic' and the second is that set of folks that enjoy watching 'magic' happen for whatever reason they may have for enjoying it.

Trying to ascribe something higher to the craft than simply offering enjoyment of some kind to two groups of folks is just senseless and/or pathological.

See above Smile
Plus I perform magic for the money besides satisfying my creative urges
Funny thing, I've been very fortunate to make people happy and a small % of those who usually don't enjoy "magic" have enjoyed my performances. I like to make sure to include that person in the audience who has the stern or even bored look.
Unfold "healing hearts" for that woman with the severe look at watch her melt as the audience goes "Aawwwee" ~ when you explain about being able to love after heartbreak and what it makes possible. That is a kind of magic. Yeah, I enjoy that.

and it is something higher... and not senseless and/or pathological

Quote:
At least folks that produce crappy 'modern' art of various kinds can kid themselves that they have a 'high' calling to be the prophets of the 'new age', but their art if still generally inchoate, bland and dissonant junk. One of the things I have always loved about magic is it's basic honesty as a craft. "Hey, I'ma gonna fool you so get ready!" People perk right up and wait for the fooling to begin. But, 'almost' no one is waiting for the magic to somehow give a life changing message or really tell the future or offer up a 'word' on how one should live their life. Magic may in certain cases offer something special, but mostly it's just fun. And, that's special enough.

By the by for those who think that my emphasis upon 'fun' is frivolous you should endure years and years of depression, anxiety and anhedonia. Suddenly a little 'fun' is a valuable commodity that can pull someone out of the hell of their interior life to something less annoying outside.

Adieu,

Well, I don't fool anyone and really don't know anyone who lines up to get fooled, that's one of the challenges of performing magic and why some people don't enjoy it. It's a rare, very talented breed who can fool (like a gentleman) and still have the audience enjoy it.

I like the concept of the last part on something special but .... sounds like you are a craftman, which is a great thing

Let me have my delusions and continue on as an artist Smile
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
"Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

Also, only magicians know the effect as 'Ace Assembley'. To the audeince, they it is four of a kind disappearing from three packets and congregating in a fourth. Why the Aces when any cards can be used? Have you seen Ricky Jay's performance using the Queens?

The fours would seem 'logical'. Why not have the 2, 3 & 4 of spades in packets containing all red cards so they leave them and appear alongside the Ace?

Maybe if it stops being an 'Ace Assembley' you build a vanish and re-appearance of three cards, the presentations will come.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Aces used to be the lowest of the low. When the lowest of the low banded together in the French Revolution they became more powerful than Kings. Such is the ledgend of how the Aces came to power in a pack of cards.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why Do the Aces Assemble? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL