The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Melinda will back in magic here in a few days. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Can somebody please elaborate for us who are outside the circle of trust.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Without giving away ALL the dirt, many strip clubs in Vegas are known for giving kickbacks to the cab drivers who bring patrons to their club. When you get in a cab in Las Vegas is not uncommon to ask for advice on where the "hot" clubs are so clubs started taking advantage of this and making it very lucrative for the cab drivers via many different incentive packages.

Melende's mother, Bonnie Saxe certainly mastered this with her connections between the cab drivers and many other ticket outlets and created a network that worked amazingly well for many years. She had the ability to produce a mediocre show yet always be successful. It had little to do with the show and everything to do with her connections with ticket brokers and cabdrivers. In Vegas, it's all about connections and people working with you. It's really nice if you have a great show and flashy costumes with great props but it's better to have the experience and knowledge on how to work with in the existing structure to drive people to your venue. That is creating a revenue stream that is efficient and profitable.

Bonnie had developed and honed this skill over the years of working and making connections in Las Vegas. Many magicians coming to town and spend all their time trying to come up with great tricks and all the things the audiences see. Again that's perfect if you have a real promoter that knows how to sell the show and put butts in the seat. The show becomes successful if you are able to consistently draw people to the show month after month. Yes, word-of-mouth is very helpful but that alone is not enough to keep show running. The market is saturated with entertainment options and it takes a lot of creativity and work to keep a consistent revenue stream viable. David and Melinda learned from their mother, but again, that was years ago and I'm not sure if the market is the same now. With the Internet and social media marketing, those techniques might or might not be enough to sell a show on its own. Promoters always have to stay one jump ahead of each other because once the technique becomes well known it loses its effectiveness. We'll see what happens with Melinda's new show.

lol... My main question is... Is she single?
Ray Pierce
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
That doesn't sound like dirt to me.....that sounds like someone who knew how to put butts in the seats. Smile
jay kirwan
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
107 Posts

Profile of jay kirwan
Agree, just about sums up the "business" in "showbusiness".
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
She's married! And she is only going to be an act in her brothers show called V the Ultimate Variety show.

Yes David has mastered getting people to his show year in and year out. I think it's more like he is giving her a break.
He can have any act he wants at this point. Every year he gets worked up about some of the top two or so acts in the AGT choice.

It's hard for family to get along in this business.. I know that Melinda and her Mom and Melinda and David have had a hard time working together over the years. So right now she is just going to be an act 12 to 15 to 18 min type of deal.

Just found out a few days ago that Rick Thomas was waiting on the Riveara to finish with the remodling of the old theater for him..
It fell through... Good thing for Rick that he set up shop a while back at David Saxxes other theater called the David Saxxe Theater.
It's the old Wyrick theater.

I think that Melinda is going to work her way over to that theater for an afternoon show in the near future.
Now that Rick has lost the Riv... He may stay at the Saxxe theater and mess up any of Melinda's chances of moving there..

Who knows.. Family is family..

We'll see how this all plays out..

I've been friends with all of them for many years and I wish them all the best of luck.

I don't really know Rick that well, but he has a great show and is a nice guy.
I'm sure no matter what happens, he'll be OK..

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
That "butts in seats" talent is especially impressive when you consider the quality of the competition and the fact neither Melinda or Showgirls of Magic was even on the strip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Melinda will back in magic here in a few days. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL